Re: About #13489, array dimensions and CREATE TABLE ... LIKE

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: About #13489, array dimensions and CREATE TABLE ... LIKE
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> > > I could get behind that, perhaps.  It looks like we're not using the
> > > field in any meaningful way, and we could simplify TupleDescInitEntry
> > > and perhaps some other APIs.
>
> > So should I work on that patch or do you want to try?  I think we should
> > do something.
>
> Let's wait for some other opinions, first ...

Looking at the code, I get the impression that we wouldn't lose anything
without "pg_attribute.attndims", so +1 for removing it.

This would call for some documentation.  We should remove most of the
documentation about the non-existing difference between declaring a column
"integer[]", "integer[][]" or "integer[3][3]" and just describe the first
variant in detail, perhaps mentioning that the other notations are
accepted for backward compatibility.

I also think that it would be helpful to emphasize that while dimensionality
does not matter to a column definition, it matters for individual array values.
Perhaps it would make sense to recommend a check constraint if one wants
to make sure that an array column should contain only a certain kind of array.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: shveta malik
От: Dilip Kumar
Сообщение: Re: SLRU optimization - configurable buffer pool and partitioning the SLRU lock