Re: Date created for tables

От Ron
Тема Re: Date created for tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/24/19 10:39 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
On 12/23/19 6:14 PM, Ron wrote:
On 12/23/19 7:01 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
On Thu, Dec  5, 2019 at 05:10:20PM +0000, Chloe Dives wrote:
Having moved to PostgreSQL from Oracle a few years ago I have been generally
very impressed by Postgres, but there are a few things that I still miss. One
of those is being able to see the created and last modified dates for database
objects.

Is this something that has been considered for implementation?
I wrote a blog about this:

    https://momjian.us/main/blogs/pgblog/2017.html#November_21_2017

You all are *grossly* over-complicating this.

Not really. This discussion has come up before and it starts with the simple case of timestamp the initial CREATE. This would suffice for some folks. However, it then progresses into a request for full object audit system.

This is directly akin to Henry Ford refusing to build cars because people will someday want computerized fuel injection, crumple zones and air bags.

I understand why there is no great desire to start down this path by the developers, they know the pressure would be on to expand the code. As Fabrízio mentions in another post this is something that could be covered in an extension. FYI, I do it by using Sqitch for my schema object creation.

By creation time, "we DBAs" think the time we ran "CREATE object", not when pg_dump, pg_basebackup and pg_update ran.

Likewise, modification time is when we last ran an ALTER command ran, not when VACUUM ran (that's tracked elsewhere) or DML ran.

That's all.

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: Postgres cursor taking 2 hrs to update the table
От: "Lu, Dan"
Сообщение: Question on upgrading postgresql from 10.7 to 11.5