Re: i have table

От Aaron Bono
Тема Re: i have table
Дата
Re: i have table
Список pgsql-sql
On 10/4/06, Erik Jones <erik@myemma.com> wrote:
Aaron Bono wrote:
> On 10/4/06, *Erik Jones* <erik@myemma.com <mailto:erik@myemma.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     There is one non-SQL related reason that I like to be able to order
>     columns, at least the way they are displayed whenever the table is
>     described:  human comprehension.  For example, I like to group all
>     keys
>     in a table before data, that includes primary as well as foreign
>     keys.
>     So, say I'm building on to an existing application and I need to do an
>     ALTER TABLE on an existing table to add a foreign key to an existing
>     table.  I'd like that key to be listed with the other keys, but
>     presently that's not possible in a simple way and, to be honest, I
>     usually just go without as the process you've described below is too
>     prone to user (human) error when dealing with live, sensitive data for
>     me to want to mess with it.
>

> Ah, but it is possible... if you use views.
>
> I recommend you build views and query off them.  Then you can control
> the order the columns will appear.
Which would be great if I didn't have (many) thousands of lines of code
that already use the tables.  Besides, this is no where near a 'make or
break' thing.  It's just a matter of aesthetic preference.

So do it as needed and convert your application slowly.

I just name my views as table_name_vw so all you have to do is modify your queries to hit the _vw instead of just the table.  That shouldn't take much time to refactor.

   Aaron Bono
   Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.
   http://www.aranya.com
   http://codeelixir.com

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Markus Schaber
Сообщение: Re: Assigning a timestamp without timezone to a timestamp
От: "christopher wood"
Сообщение: Re: Assigning a timestamp without timezone to a timestamp