Re: Assigning a timestamp without timezone to a timestamp

От Markus Schaber
Тема Re: Assigning a timestamp without timezone to a timestamp
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi, Christopher,

christopher wood wrote:

> But I can't even take credit for that, my business partner suggested
> using Postgres.

So I guess he's a smart one, too. :-)

At least as long as he understands that free software does not mean a
TCO of zero dollars, that's the main mistake when businesses try to jump
on the free software train.

> I have been a DB2 DBA most of my professional life (25 years) until
> recently, and a huge proponent of DB2 against the likes of Oracle and
> MS-SQL.

DB2 is not the worst one, AFAICT.

And as a long-time DBA, you know that administration of a real DBMS is
not "install and forget", but lots of fine-tuning and ongoing care.

> So far I am very impressed with Postgres but there is a lot more in
> Postgres to get one's head around.  I certainly appreciate having people
> like you and Andrew to help me along.

PostgreSQL is neither perfect, nor a one-fits-all solution. (Hey, that's
the reason for loads of individuals and companies to develop new
releases and extensions, after all. :-)

But it's a stable DBMS providing most features one would expect and use,
and it has a very supportive community, and commercial supporters and
niche-derivates.

As long as you want to keep learning, and don't hesitate getting
involved, PostgreSQL will offer you a satisfying experience.

Regards,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org