Re: A question about sequences and backup/restore cycles

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: A question about sequences and backup/restore cycles
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/21/19 5:13 PM, stan wrote:

> I typically design a system with primary keys defined, like this:
>

> CREATE TABLE employee (
> employee_key           integer DEFAULT nextval('employee_key_serial')
>         PRIMARY KEY ,
>
> I use scripts to build the database structures and load the data. I am
> careful to get the dependencies in the correct order, so that the keys later
> structures depend on already exist.
>
> Today I was going over the design for the current project with a friend,
> whose expertise i respect. he said that he had issues on a system designed
> by an OEM that had dependencies on keys developed from sequences after a
> backup/restore cycle,
>
> Will I potentially have these issues? If so, what can I do different to
> avoid this being an issue?

It is not clear to me what you are doing:

1) Are you using pg_dump/pg_restore to populate a database?
If so it will take care of the dependencies.

2) Are you using a home built method to populate the database?
In that case you take responsibility for dependencies.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: stan
Сообщение: A question about sequences and backup/restore cycles
От: Maciek Sakrejda
Сообщение: EXPLAIN BUFFERS and I/O timing accounting questions