Обсуждение: Which Linux Distribution

Which Linux Distribution

От
"Timothy J Hitchens"
Дата:
We are about to launch a very large client/server environment and before we
lock down the production servers I thought I
would as if there is a particular linux distribution that keeps up or
postgresql is designed for more than another.  I know
that linux is linux but which linux (if any) is used for development
testing.

Also I haven't had many comments about my last post I have included it below
as well:

**********
Subject: [ADMIN] Load of 4 Million Queries Read and or Write Per Second
**********

That is 4 Million Queries per Second which is 14 Billion 400 Million per
hour.

This may sound a little big but this is what we will be launching on the 1st
December 2000 using postgresql and php.

It is a new generation client/server environment that allows
communication/transactions and information storage for b2b, b2c and p2p.

Does anyone have a qlue what will happen and what should I order now to
replace the box we have and what size
space should I clear in the office/warehouse for expansion.

I am serious and would like some feedback and input.

**********

Thanks for everyones  assistance in my current project it has been a
learning curve from commercial and mysql to postgresql.

Hitcho has Spoken.
Timothy Hitchens (Hitcho)
tim@hitcho.com.au

Re: Which Linux Distribution

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Timothy J Hitchens <tim@hitcho.com.au> [001123 13:35] wrote:
> We are about to launch a very large client/server environment and before we
> lock down the production servers I thought I
> would as if there is a particular linux distribution that keeps up or
> postgresql is designed for more than another.  I know
> that linux is linux but which linux (if any) is used for development
> testing.

I use FreeBSD over here.

> Also I haven't had many comments about my last post I have included it below
> as well:

> **********
> Subject: [ADMIN] Load of 4 Million Queries Read and or Write Per Second
> **********
>
> That is 4 Million Queries per Second which is 14 Billion 400 Million per
> hour.
>
> This may sound a little big but this is what we will be launching on the 1st
> December 2000 using postgresql and php.

What platform is this going to be on?  You will not be able to do
4 million queries per second with Postgresql on a PC platform.

Re: Which Linux Distribution

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [001123 14:33] wrote:
> * Timothy J Hitchens <tim@hitcho.com.au> [001123 13:35] wrote:
> >
> > That is 4 Million Queries per Second which is 14 Billion 400 Million per
> > hour.
> >
> > This may sound a little big but this is what we will be launching on the 1st
> > December 2000 using postgresql and php.
>
> What platform is this going to be on?  You will not be able to do
> 4 million queries per second with Postgresql on a PC platform.

You do realize that even a 800Mhz Pentium that the math makes
this practically impossible:

800Mhz ==   8,000,000 cycles per second
divided by  4,000,000 queries per second
                  = 2 cycles per query

Those two cycles are spent even before the server gets to
parse the query.

What are you trying to do here?

Re: Which Linux Distribution

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [001123 15:04] wrote:
> * Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [001123 14:33] wrote:
> > * Timothy J Hitchens <tim@hitcho.com.au> [001123 13:35] wrote:
> > >
> > > That is 4 Million Queries per Second which is 14 Billion 400 Million per
> > > hour.
> > >
> > > This may sound a little big but this is what we will be launching on the 1st
> > > December 2000 using postgresql and php.
> >
> > What platform is this going to be on?  You will not be able to do
> > 4 million queries per second with Postgresql on a PC platform.
>
> You do realize that even a 800Mhz Pentium that the math makes
> this practically impossible:
>
> 800Mhz ==   8,000,000 cycles per second
> divided by  4,000,000 queries per second
>                   = 2 cycles per query

er, turkey makes me a bit groggy, that should have been:

800,000,000
  4,000,000

still about 200 cycles per query.  I don't see how that's
possible.

Re: Which Linux Distribution

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [001123 14:33] wrote:
> > * Timothy J Hitchens <tim@hitcho.com.au> [001123 13:35] wrote:
> > > That is 4 Million Queries per Second which is 14 Billion 400 Million per
> > > hour.

> > > This may sound a little big but this is what we will be launching on the 1st
> > > December 2000 using postgresql and php.

> > What platform is this going to be on?  You will not be able to do
> > 4 million queries per second with Postgresql on a PC platform.

> You do realize that even a 800Mhz Pentium that the math makes
> this practically impossible:

Then use Linux for S/390 and PostgreSQL on S/390.  Use big iron for big
iron tasks.

If he's really expecting this big of load (that would make such a
cluster qualify for one of the top slots on the TPC-C benchmarks,
incidentally!), then he should have enough money to buy a largish S/390
-- after all, the bandwidth to serve the pages of such a large number of
queries is going to be huge -- even America Online is only serving an
estimated 28 kilopages per second with their server farm.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Which Linux Distribution

От
Lockhurst
Дата:
What about using a Beowolf cluster. We are really interested in a online music stor
but donot have the money. Well -- as per as bandwidth is concerned -  GOOD LUCK. For
us we are not planning to launch it in internet, only planning to serve it through
local cable in Indian metro cities.

Lamar Owen wrote:

> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > * Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [001123 14:33] wrote:

> > > What platform is this going to be on?  You will not be able to do
> > > 4 million queries per second with Postgresql on a PC platform.
>
> > You do realize that even a 800Mhz Pentium that the math makes
> > this practically impossible:
>
> Then use Linux for S/390 and PostgreSQL on S/390.  Use big iron for big
> iron tasks.
>
> If he's really expecting this big of load (that would make such a
> cluster qualify for one of the top slots on the TPC-C benchmarks,
> incidentally!), then he should have enough money to buy a largish S/390
> -- after all, the bandwidth to serve the pages of such a large number of
> queries is going to be huge -- even America Online is only serving an
> estimated 28 kilopages per second with their server farm.
> --
> Lamar Owen
> WGCR Internet Radio
> 1 Peter 4:11

Re: Which Linux Distribution

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Lockhurst <lockhurst@cal2.vsnl.net.in> [001212 07:54] wrote:
> What about using a Beowolf cluster. We are really interested in
> a online music stor but donot have the money. Well -- as per as
> bandwidth is concerned -  GOOD LUCK. For us we are not planning to
> launch it in internet, only planning to serve it through local
> cable in Indian metro cities.

What about it? (the Beowolf cluster)

A Beowolf cluster doesn't suddenly allow Postgresql to run on
multiple machines whilke acting as a single entity, there's libraries
that Postgresql must be ported to use afaik.

-Alfred