Обсуждение: pg_dump/restore problems

pg_dump/restore problems

От
Glen Brown
Дата:
I am not sure where I should post this but I am running into problems trying to restore a large table. I am running 8.4.1 on all servers. The table is about 25gb in size and most of that is toasted. It has about 2.5m records. When I dump this table using pg_dump -Fc it creates a 15 gb file. I am trying to restore in into a database that has 100gb of free disk space and it consumes it all and fails to finish the restore. The table is not partitioned and has a few indexes on it. What can I do?

thanks
-glen

Glen Brown

Re: pg_dump/restore problems

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Glen Brown  wrote:

> When I dump this table using pg_dump -Fc it creates a 15 gb file. I
> am trying to restore in into a database that has 100gb of free disk
> space and it consumes it all and fails to finish the restore.

What is the platform?  (I remember having problems with large file
handling in PostgreSQL on Windows, back when I used Windows.)

Can you see where the space is going when this happens?

-Kevin

Re: pg_dump/restore problems

От
Glen Brown
Дата:
I am using Ubuntu 8LTS on both systems. How can tell where the space is going?

thanks for the help
-glen

Glen Brown

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Kevin Grittner <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
Glen Brown  wrote:

> When I dump this table using pg_dump -Fc it creates a 15 gb file. I
> am trying to restore in into a database that has 100gb of free disk
> space and it consumes it all and fails to finish the restore.

What is the platform?  (I remember having problems with large file
handling in PostgreSQL on Windows, back when I used Windows.)

Can you see where the space is going when this happens?

-Kevin

Re: pg_dump/restore problems

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
Glen Brown  wrote:

> I am using Ubuntu 8LTS on both systems. How can tell where the
> space is going?

Maybe someone has a more sophisticated way, but I'd be poking around
with "du -shx" requests against the contents of various directories
during the run.  Maybe run "vmstat 1" in another shell, piping the
results to a file.

-Kevin

Re: pg_dump/restore problems

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Glen Brown  wrote:
>
>> I am using Ubuntu 8LTS on both systems. How can tell where the
>> space is going?
>
> Maybe someone has a more sophisticated way, but I'd be poking around
> with "du -shx" requests against the contents of various directories
> during the run.  Maybe run "vmstat 1" in another shell, piping the
> results to a file.

Also look at iotop.  Pretty sure it'll work on an up to date ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

Re: pg_dump/restore problems

От
Bob Lunney
Дата:
Glen,

Did you drop the indexes prior to the restore?  If not, try doing so and recreating the indexes afterwards.  That will also speed up the data load.

Bob Lunney