Обсуждение: The service did not respond to the start..

The service did not respond to the start..

От
Liviu Taloi
Дата:
Hi,
I am newbie in this area, I have read more e-mails in
this list in order to put my postgresql under cygwin
as services (ipc-daemon and postmaster) and I cannot
start any of these services (on win XP).
I have followed the instructions on EJIP help file.
It didn't worked for me.
The message from the AdministrativeTools->Services
when I try to start the CygWin IPC Daemon is:
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start
or control request in a timely fashion.
Somebody can help me?
Liviu.

http://health.yahoo.com

Re: The service did not respond to the start..

От
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Дата:
Can you run the ipc-daemon from cygwin bash (ie ipc-daemon &)?
If not it might be that the files in /tmp needs deleting (or use the actual
ipc tools to clean up).
Hope this helps,
- Stuart

Дата:
Yes, the ipc-daemon starts from the cygwin prompt
with:
> ipc-dameon &
But this way it is not a service, a NT/XP service.
Thx.
Liviu.
--- "Henshall, Stuart - WCP"

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Re: The service did not respond to the start..

От
"Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
Дата:
I've never installed on XP, just NT4.
All I needed to do was to do ipc-daemon --install-as-service
This worked for me.
I then altered the user to be able to ustalise that users
cygwin settings by going into services from the control panel
and getting the startup for cygwin ipc daemon, then told it to
log in as this account using my postgres account.
Hope this helps,
- Stuart

Michael Adler
Дата:
I've also had trouble getting ipc-daemon to run reliably as a service on
XP. I'll be looking into this very closely next week, since we've already
sold a product that relies on that working well.

Can anyone else chime in on ipc-daemon on XP? I've had about a 40% success
history in which it just works.

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Liviu Taloi wrote:

> Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 08:31:17 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Liviu Taloi <ltaloi@yahoo.com>
> To: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall@westcountrypublications.co.uk>,
>      pgsql-cygwin@postgresql.org
> Subject: Re: [CYGWIN] The service did not respond to the start..
>
> Yes, the ipc-daemon starts from the cygwin prompt
> with:
> > ipc-dameon &
> But this way it is not a service, a NT/XP service.
> Thx.
> Liviu.
> --- "Henshall, Stuart - WCP"
> <SHenshall@westcountrypublications.co.uk> wrote:
> > Can you run the ipc-daemon from cygwin bash (ie
> > ipc-daemon &)?
> > If not it might be that the files in /tmp needs
> > deleting (or use the actual
> > ipc tools to clean up).
> > Hope this helps,
> > - Stuart

Mike

Re: The service did not respond to the start..

От
"Robert J. Sanford, Jr."
Дата:
i have had very inconsistent behaviour running the ipc-daemon
as a service on win2k. for whatever reason on some machines it
will start up fine every time i restart the machine. on other
machines it requires me to manually go into the services control
panel and start it up. i have no idea what the differences are
so i don't know if it is a config error on my part or a bug on
the daemon's part. right now i'm betting on config error... :(

rjsjr

"Dave Page"

I've had similar troubles with recent versions but find that 1.09 runs
well on XP & 2K Pro using the Local System account.

I've used it with 7.1, 7.2 and recent 7.3 dev snapshots with no problems
at all, even running 7.2 & 7.3 simultaneously. Note that this is on my
laptop, so the load is next to zero. I've never tried it with any
production apps.

Regards, Dave.

Re: The service did not respond to the start..

От
Michael Adler
Дата:
Dave -

Thanks for the tip.

Do you explicitly set the SYSTEM user, or does that happen automatically
when you don't specify a user?

With win2k, I don't specify a user and uses SYSTEM, which works well for
me. In winXP, I haven't specified a user and I see it running as
"Everyone". I haven't poked around with this much recently, but I will in
the next week.

Mike Adler

On Thu, 9 May 2002, Dave Page wrote:

> > I've also had trouble getting ipc-daemon to run reliably as a
> > service on XP. I'll be looking into this very closely next
> > week, since we've already sold a product that relies on that
> > working well.
> >
> > Can anyone else chime in on ipc-daemon on XP? I've had about
> > a 40% success history in which it just works.
>
> I've had similar troubles with recent versions but find that 1.09 runs
> well on XP & 2K Pro using the Local System account.
>
> I've used it with 7.1, 7.2 and recent 7.3 dev snapshots with no problems
> at all, even running 7.2 & 7.3 simultaneously. Note that this is on my
> laptop, so the load is next to zero. I've never tried it with any
> production apps.
>
> Regards, Dave.

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Mike

Re: The service did not respond to the start..

От
"Russell Black"
Дата:
I had a similar problem with the Postgres service itself on Win2k.
Sometimes it would start automatically, and sometimes it would require a
manual start.  This problem was caused because it was trying to start the
postgres service before the network services had started (e.g. the tcpip
service).  I was able to solve this problem by making my postgres service
dependent on the tcpip service and the LanmanWorkstation service, like this

cygrunsrv --install postmaster --path /usr/bin/postmaster --args "-i" --dep
ipc-daemon --dep LanmanWorkstation --dep tcpip --termsig INT --user
administrator --shutdown

Perhaps the ipc-daemon service is having a similar issue on your box.

> i have had very inconsistent behaviour running the ipc-daemon
> as a service on win2k. for whatever reason on some machines it
> will start up fine every time i restart the machine. on other
> machines it requires me to manually go into the services control
> panel and start it up. i have no idea what the differences are
> so i don't know if it is a config error on my part or a bug on
> the daemon's part. right now i'm betting on config error... :(
>
> rjsjr

Jason Tishler
Дата:
Robert,

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:48:47AM -0500, Robert J. Sanford, Jr. wrote:
> i have had very inconsistent behaviour running the ipc-daemon
> as a service on win2k. for whatever reason on some machines it
> will start up fine every time i restart the machine. on other
> machines it requires me to manually go into the services control
> panel and start it up. i have no idea what the differences are
> so i don't know if it is a config error on my part or a bug on
> the daemon's part. right now i'm betting on config error... :(

My WAG is that the start-up problem is a service dependency issue.
See the following for a starting point:

I would try Tcpip (which is a driver not a service) first.

I encourage those whose try this and are successful to post to the list
so this is finally captured in the archives.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: The service did not respond to the start..

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Dave,

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 04:55:11PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

We really should try to solve this problem with the current cygipc before
downgrading in defeat.  Sorry, but I can't reproduce this problem so I
can't help to debug.

Jason

Re: The service did not respond to the start..

От
"Dave Page"

I'm all for fixing these things, but at the time (aside from needing to
get things working so I could work on pgAdmin) I had just read a message
(I think from you in fact) about the upcoming builtin ipc support in
Cygwin and having seen no other reports of similar problems figured that
it was something peculiar to my system (which does get hacked about a
fair bit) and wasn't worth the trouble anyway as it would soon be
obsolete.

Of course, in hindsight I was probably 100% wrong but hey, why break the
habit of a lifetime :-)

Regards, Dave.

BTW Are you aware there is currently a rather busy thread about native
Windows/Beos ports on -hackers which is currently drifting towards a
cutdown Cygwin version?

Re: The service did not respond to the start..

От
"Dave Page"

Can't remember to be honest, whilst I try to help Jason out whenever I
can with Cygwin stuff (not very often if the truth be known), most of my
time is spent on pgAdmin & psqlODBC stuff so my aim was just to get it
going on my new laptop and then carry on developing.

Regards, Dave.

Re: The service did not respond to the start..

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Dave,

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 07:51:33PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> BTW Are you aware there is currently a rather busy thread about native
> Windows/Beos ports on -hackers...

No, I'm not subscribed, but I just read all that I could find in the
archives.  A lot of interesting ideas, very different perspectives,
good information, bad (i.e., incorrect) information, etc...  In general,
a good read.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

> ...which is currently drifting towards a cutdown Cygwin version?

Maybe I'll be out of (another) job soon? :,)

Jason

Re: The service did not respond to the start..

От
"Dave Page"

Nah, I wouldn't have thought so. Just less time on the same old 'why
does initdb hang?' or 'why did it go horribly wrong when I used Winzip'
questions (and of course, the builds) and more time on the real bugs and
optimisations.

Personnally, I think (from a 'good for PostgreSQL' rather than 'good for
Cygwin' perspective) that the way forward is a Cygwin based system but
using a tailored downloader/installer that installs the system 'like a
Windows app' (and quickly & easily etc.) rather than the current way
which is Windows 'being' *nix. I think that's very offputting for many
potential users (as others have said on the -hackers thread).

Anyway, if that's the way it goes, I'm sure our resident Cygwin expert
will still find plenty to keep himself amused :-)

Regards, Dave.

Cygwin PostgreSQL Information and Suggestions

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Dave,

Would you forward this to pgsql-hackers since I'm not subscribed?

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 10:45:42PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

I agree with the above, but more can be done with Cygwin and its setup.exe
that can give a fair amount of bang for the buck for some good short
time gains too.  I will give some details below.

I also wanted to dispel some misinformation (IMO) that I perceived from
the above mentioned posts and/or elaborate on some of the items:

1. Cygwin's setup.exe supports categories and dependencies.  Hence,
there is no reason to install all Cygwin packages in order to ensure
properly PostgreSQL operation.  Someone just has to determine what is
the minimal set of packages necessary for PostgreSQL and I will update
the setup.hint accordingly.  The current setup.hint is as follows:

    sdesc: "PostgreSQL Data Base Management System"
    category: Database
    requires: ash cygwin readline zlib libreadline5

Sorry, but since I install all Cygwin packages plus about 30 additional
ones I haven't desire to determine what are the minimal requirements.

2. Cygwin's setup.exe is customizable.  There is a tool called "upset"
that generates the setup.ini file that drives setup.exe.  PostgreSQL could
offer a customized setup.  For example, this is what the XEmacs folks
are doing.

3. Cygwin's setup.exe can run package specific postinstall scripts during
the installation.  Hence, someone could automate the steps enumerated
(e.g., postmaster NT service installation, initdb, etc.) in my README:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/postgresql/postgresql-7.2.1.README

to ease the installation burden.

4. Cygwin PostgreSQL is perceived to have poor performance.  I have
never done any benchmarks regarding this issue, but apparently Terry
Carlin (from the defunct Great Bridge) did:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2001-08/msg00029.php

Specifically, he indicates the following:

    BTW, Up through 40 users, PostgreSQL under CYGWIN using the TPC-C
    benchmark performed very much the same as Linux PostgreSQL on the
    exact hardware.

5. Cygwin PostgreSQL is perceived to have poor reliability.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to gather data to concur or refute
this perception due a sudden job "change" last summer. :,)  However,
there are reports such as the following on the pgsql-cygwin list:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2002-04/msg00021.php

IMO, the biggest reliability issue with Cygwin PostgreSQL is it's
dependency on cygipc.  There is some very recent work to create a Cygwin
daemon to support features such as System V IPC.  So soon the cygipc
dependency and its "problems" will be going way.

Those interested in a "Windows" PostgreSQL should possibly consider
contributing in this area or other "hard edges" (due to Windows-isms)
that would improve the reliability of Cygwin PostgreSQL.  BTW, I have
found the Cygwin core developers very responsive to PostgreSQL problems
because it drives the Cygwin DLL harder than most other applications.

6. Satisfying the Cygwin license for binary distribution is very simple.
Just include the source for the Cygwin DLL and all executables that are
linked with it in your distribution package.  It is really that easy.

Jason