Обсуждение: psql command history

psql command history

От
Laurette Cisneros
Silly question:

When I use psql on redhat, the history works in that I can use the up and
down arrows keys to go between past commands just like the bash shell.

However, on my suse system, the up and down arrow keys do not do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

--
Laurette Cisneros
The Database Group

Re: psql command history

От
"Booth, Robert"
Дата:
You need to have the GNU readline library installed.  I ran into this with
Solaris.  Once it's installed the Postgres configure will find and use it.

Rob

Re: psql command history

От
Keehan Mallon
Дата:
I'm not too familiar with Suse, but just had this problem on very
customized Mandrake install.  I found that installing readline,
readline-devel, libtermcap then doing make clean, configure, make, make
install again and voila history works.

I think it was Alvaro (can't get to the list right now) who give me the
hint about libtermcap.

Check through your config.log and config.cache and if libtermcap or the
readline hints above don't solve the problem, then post them to the
list.

Keehan

--- Laurette Cisneros <laurette@nextbus.com> wrote:

> Silly question:
>
> When I use psql on redhat, the history works in that I can use the up
> and
> down arrows keys to go between past commands just like the bash
> shell.
>
> However, on my suse system, the up and down arrow keys do not do
> this.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Laurette Cisneros
> The Database Group
> (510) 420-3137
> NextBus Information Systems, Inc.
> www.nextbus.com
> Where's my....bus?

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com

Re: psql command history

От
Laurette Cisneros
Дата:
The gnu readline library is installed and the bash history works.  So
perhaps it is this other readline library that's what I need?

Thanks,

Laurette
On Fri, 17 May 2002 wsheldah@lexmark.com wrote:

> I thought I remembered reading on the list once upon a time that psql used a
> different readline library because the GNU readline's GPL isn't entirely
> compatible with PostgreSQL's BSD-type license. Did this change, or am I
> remembering wrong?
>
> Wes
>

> "Booth, Robert" <Robert_Booth%intuit.com@interlock.lexmark.com> on 05/17/2002
> 04:53:40 PM
>
> To:   "'Laurette Cisneros'" <laurette%nextbus.com@interlock.lexmark.com>,
>       pgsql-general%postgresql.org@interlock.lexmark.com
> cc:    (bcc: Wesley Sheldahl/Lex/Lexmark)
> Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] psql command history
>

> You need to have the GNU readline library installed.  I ran into this with
> Solaris.  Once it's installed the Postgres configure will find and use it.
>
> Rob

Дата:
Well, it seems that configure is not finding the readline library:

checking for readline... (cached) no

but readline and readline-devel packages are installed (I use yast2 on
suse).  Why would postgres configure not be finding it?

Such an irritating little gnat.

L.

--

wsheldah@lexmark.com

To:   "'Laurette Cisneros'" <laurette%nextbus.com@interlock.lexmark.com>,
Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] psql command history

You need to have the GNU readline library installed.  I ran into this with
Solaris.  Once it's installed the Postgres configure will find and use it.

Rob

postgres@vrane.com
Дата:
Did you read the previous post that you need
libtermcap or its devel?

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 03:30:33PM -0700, Laurette Cisneros wrote:
> Well, it seems that configure is not finding the readline library:

> checking for readline... (cached) no
>
> but readline and readline-devel packages are installed (I use yast2 on
> suse).  Why would postgres configure not be finding it?
>
> Such an irritating little gnat.

Re: psql command history

Дата:
Laurette Cisneros <laurette@nextbus.com> writes:
> Well, it seems that configure is not finding the readline library:
> checking for readline... (cached) no
                            ^^^^^^

Remove configure's cache file and try again.

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql command history

От
Laurette Cisneros
Дата:
Ah, that's much better!

It needed the readline-devel package (installed previously) and then when I
cleared the config.cache, did configure, make, make install all is well.

Thanks to all for the help!

Laurette