Обсуждение: LISTEN/NOTIFY for lightweight replication

LISTEN/NOTIFY for lightweight replication

От
Ted Shab
Дата:
Hi,

I'm trying to come up with a relatively simple
multi-master replication solution.  This is for
multiple databases that need to be discreet, and
change relatively infrequently (10-30 updates an
hour), and almost never update each others data (less
than once a day).

The TCL-based replication project for multi-master is
troublesome to configure and seems to really impact
performance.  It can be assumed that the master-slave
setup will not work for me, nor do we want to purchase
a commercial soluton, nor can we run this all from one
central database.

I'm considering the following, and am requesting
advice and any suggestions:

a.  Use listen/notify to develop a notification when
changes are made.  This could be done between each
node, or not (i.e. it could be a chain instead).

b1.  All of the add events are using sequences so each
node has a unique set of new records.

b2.  When an add, update or delete is recorded, DDL of
this is passed via the notify.

c.  If no local event happened prior during this event
envelope (i.e. since the last update notification but
before the new event completed), perform the event.

d.  If there is a record level conflict but no field
level one, perform the event.

e.  If there is a field level conflict, raise an
exception (TBD).

There are plenty of things that might not work here,
but I'm particularly interested in:

1.  If this is brain-dead because of performance
issues, I'd like to know upfront.

2.  Is there a way to get at the system tables that
would contain overall change events? Otherwise, is
this information available in some log event?

3.  Can this be readily translated to DDL?

4.  Does anyone have some extended examples of using
listen/notify, especially in any kind of distributed
transaction capability?

Thanks!

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY for lightweight replication

От
Richard Huxton
Ted Shab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to come up with a relatively simple
> multi-master replication solution.  This is for
> multiple databases that need to be discreet, and
> change relatively infrequently (10-30 updates an
> hour), and almost never update each others data (less
> than once a day).
>
> The TCL-based replication project for multi-master is
> troublesome to configure and seems to really impact
> performance.  It can be assumed that the master-slave
> setup will not work for me, nor do we want to purchase
> a commercial soluton, nor can we run this all from one
> central database.

> e.  If there is a field level conflict, raise an
> exception (TBD).

Exception handling and failure recovery are what makes for all the work
in replication.

I don't think a pure listen/notify setup will be enough because iirc the
system doesn't guarantee delivery of multiple notifications if >1 are
queued.

Have you looked into the possibility of using dblink to handle updates
of each others' data? That would mean your problem reverting to one of
single-master replication.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY for lightweight replication

От
Ted Shab
Дата:
Richard,

Thanks for the response.

I'll look into both the dblink and iirc.

Do you know of any extended examples of either?

--Ted

http://vote.yahoo.com

Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY for lightweight replication

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 08:32:04AM -0700, Ted Shab wrote:

> Thanks for the response.
>
> I'll look into both the dblink and iirc.

That's actually only dblink.  IIRC is an acronym, meaning "if I recall
correctly", IIRC.

"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values
or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence.
Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
(Samuel P. Huntington)

Ted Shab wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I'll look into both the dblink and iirc.
>
> Do you know of any extended examples of either?

dblink is in the contrib/ folder of the source distribution and possibly
your packaged version if you use such a thing. Never needed it myself,
but the documentation looks clear enough.

As for listen/notify possibly dropping duplicate notifications... Ah!
it's in the "SQL COMMANDS" reference part of the manuals

NOTIFY behaves like Unix signals in one important respect: if the same
condition name is signaled multiple times in quick succession,
recipients may get only one notify event for several executions of
NOTIFY. So it is a bad idea to depend on the number of notifies
received. Instead, use NOTIFY to wake up applications that need to pay
attention to something, and use a database object (such as a sequence)
to keep track of what happened or how many times it happened.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY for lightweight replication

От
Ted Shab
Дата:
Thanks.  I was thinking iirc was the transport
protocol :-)

Looks like dblink is the best bet here.

http://vote.yahoo.com