Обсуждение: Hosting Service Recommendations

Hosting Service Recommendations

От
Chris Kratz
Дата:
It seems the consensus on this list is that when running postgres, Opterons
outperform Xeons by a significant margin not to mention the CS storms
postgres seems to cause on Xeons.  We are looking for a hosting service for a
postgresql based application.  Unfortunately, it seems most services
standardize on Dell and by extension Xeon hardware.  Do anyone have
recommendations for hosting services that would be able to provide Opteron
based hardware and have decent service?  Or are we stuck with Xeons?
--
Chris Kratz

Re: Hosting Service Recommendations

От
Jerry Sievers
Дата:
Chris Kratz <chris.kratz@vistashare.com> writes:

> It seems the consensus on this list is that when running postgres,
> Opterons outperform Xeons by a significant margin not to mention the
> CS storms postgres seems to cause on Xeons.  We are looking for a
> hosting service for a postgresql based application.  Unfortunately,
> it seems most services standardize on Dell and by extension Xeon
> hardware.  Do anyone have recommendations for hosting services that
> would be able to provide Opteron based hardware and have decent
> service?  Or are we stuck with Xeons?  -- Chris Kratz

You might consider a co-located server.  You supply the hardware of
your choosing and the ISP puts it in their datacenter.

Less popular than dedicated server (owned by the ISP) but a good
choice if you have special hardware needs.

Not all ISPs do colo so, better check around.

HTH

Jerry Sievers   305 854-3001 (home)     WWW ECommerce Consultant
                305 321-1144 (mobile    http://www.JerrySievers.com/

Re: Hosting Service Recommendations

От
Alex Turner
Дата:
I have found that even the larger hosting companies such as Rackspace
are pretty clueless when trying to configure even a mid size database
server.  They gave us a 4 drive raid 5 even after being explicitly
asked for a RAID 10. They also put the controller in write through
cache mode.  Pretty bad config - the server blew chunks, our single
drive ATA cheapo box ran significantly faster.

I would definatley suggest looking at co-lo.

Alex Turner
netEconomist

On 4/25/05, Chris Kratz <chris.kratz@vistashare.com> wrote:
> It seems the consensus on this list is that when running postgres, Opterons
> outperform Xeons by a significant margin not to mention the CS storms
> postgres seems to cause on Xeons.  We are looking for a hosting service for a
> postgresql based application.  Unfortunately, it seems most services
> standardize on Dell and by extension Xeon hardware.  Do anyone have
> recommendations for hosting services that would be able to provide Opteron
> based hardware and have decent service?  Or are we stuck with Xeons?
> --
> Chris Kratz

Re: Hosting Service Recommendations

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:04:27AM -0400, Alex Turner wrote:

> I have found that even the larger hosting companies such as Rackspace
> are pretty clueless when trying to configure even a mid size database
> server.  They gave us a 4 drive raid 5 even after being explicitly
> asked for a RAID 10. They also put the controller in write through
> cache mode.  Pretty bad config - the server blew chunks, our single
> drive ATA cheapo box ran significantly faster.
>
> I would definatley suggest looking at co-lo.

Definitely, yes. The managed facilities tend to be tuned for webserver
usage rather than anything else until you get to the high end.

<plug>
We use http://www.asaservers.com/ as a build-to-order hardware
vendor. They also offer very reasonably priced colocation. So you can
spec the box you want and they'll build it, install an OS and drop it
in their rack (at a decent colo facility). It makes real colo as painless
to set up as a managed hosting outfit. If you call 'em, ask for Abhi.
</plug>

> On 4/25/05, Chris Kratz <chris.kratz@vistashare.com> wrote:
> > It seems the consensus on this list is that when running postgres, Opterons
> > outperform Xeons by a significant margin not to mention the CS storms
> > postgres seems to cause on Xeons.  We are looking for a hosting service for a
> > postgresql based application.  Unfortunately, it seems most services
> > standardize on Dell and by extension Xeon hardware.  Do anyone have
> > recommendations for hosting services that would be able to provide Opteron
> > based hardware and have decent service?  Or are we stuck with Xeons?

Cheers,
  Steve