Обсуждение: postgres password

postgres password

От
"Jasbinder Bali"
Дата:
Hello,
> I'm trying to connect to the local postgres database using pgadmin. It
> asks for a password that i never set and hence i'm not able to connect
> to my local postgres database.
> Also, when i click postgresql help option in the Help tab of pgadmin,
> the pgadmin screen would close down. Don't know whats going on wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Jas

Re: postgres password

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 13:24, Jasbinder Bali wrote:
> Hello,
> > I'm trying to connect to the local postgres database using pgadmin.
> It
> > asks for a password that i never set and hence i'm not able to
> connect
> > to my local postgres database.
> > Also, when i click postgresql help option in the Help tab of
> pgadmin,
> > the pgadmin screen would close down. Don't know whats going on
> wrong.

Take a look here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/client-authentication.html

Basically, the password isn't set yet.  You may or may not need to set
one depending on how you configure pg_hba.conf

Re: postgres password

От
"Shoaib Mir"
Дата:
Change the following in pg_hba.conf

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32           trust

and that will let you connect without password and then reload your db server settings using 'pg_ctl reload'. You can then set the password once connected to database using

alter user username password 'password'

Once you are done with that now you can switch back to original authentication mode.

/Shoaib

On 6/15/06, Jasbinder Bali < jsbali@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
> I'm trying to connect to the local postgres database using pgadmin. It
> asks for a password that i never set and hence i'm not able to connect
> to my local postgres database.
> Also, when i click postgresql help option in the Help tab of pgadmin,
> the pgadmin screen would close down. Don't know whats going on wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Jas

Re: postgres password

От
"LLC"
Дата:
You cannot use the postgres account without some tweaks, Sorry I don't remember where I found this info - somewhere in the pgadmin install docs.

Create a new superuser with a password, add connectivity to the pg_hba.conf file if needed and pgadmin should work fine

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 13:24, Jasbinder Bali wrote:

> Hello,
> > I'm trying to connect to the local postgres database using pgadmin.
> It
> > asks for a password that i never set and hence i'm not able to
> connect
> > to my local postgres database.
> > Also, when i click postgresql help option in the Help tab of
> pgadmin,
> > the pgadmin screen would close down. Don't know whats going on
> wrong.

Take a look here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/client-authentication.html

Basically, the password isn't set yet. You may or may not need to set

one depending on how you configure pg_hba.conf

Re: postgres password

От
"Shoaib Mir"
Дата:
When you are logged in as user 'postgres' then you can run the pg_ctl reload like this:

pg_ctl -D <path of your datafolder> reload

/Shoaib

On 6/16/06, LLC <kevin@kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
You cannot use the postgres account without some tweaks, Sorry I don't remember where I found this info - somewhere in the pgadmin install docs.

Create a new superuser with a password, add connectivity to the pg_hba.conf file if needed and pgadmin should work fine

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 13:24, Jasbinder Bali wrote:

> Hello,
> > I'm trying to connect to the local postgres database using pgadmin.
> It
> > asks for a password that i never set and hence i'm not able to
> connect
> > to my local postgres database.
> > Also, when i click postgresql help option in the Help tab of
> pgadmin,
> > the pgadmin screen would close down. Don't know whats going on
> wrong.

Take a look here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/client-authentication.html

Basically, the password isn't set yet. You may or may not need to set

one depending on how you configure pg_hba.conf

Re: postgres password

От
"DataIntellect"
Дата:
You cannot use the postgres account without some tweaks, Sorry I don't remember where I found this info - somewhere in the pgadmin install docs.

However this works:

Create a new superuser with a password, add connectivity to the pg_hba.conf file if needed and pgadmin should work fine

/Kevin

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32          md5

host    all         all         127.0.0.1/32           trust

and that will let you connect without password and then reload your db server settings using 'pg_ctl reload'. You can then set the password once connected to database using

alter user username password 'password'

Once you are done with that now you can switch back to original authentication mode.

/Shoaib

On 6/15/06, Jasbinder Bali < jsbali@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
> I'm trying to connect to the local postgres database using pgadmin. It
> asks for a password that i never set and hence i'm not able to connect
> to my local postgres database.
> Also, when i click postgresql help option in the Help tab of pgadmin,
> the pgadmin screen would close down. Don't know whats going on wrong.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Jas

Re: postgres password

От
"Dave Page"

You cannot use the postgres account without some tweaks, Sorry I don't remember where I found this info - somewhere in the pgadmin install docs.

If it does say that anywhere, I'd love to know where so I can remove it.

However this works:

Create a new superuser with a password, add connectivity to the pg_hba.conf file if needed and pgadmin should work fine

The postgres account should be quite usable for this. You might need to edit pg_hba.conf as well of course.

Regards,. Dave