Обсуждение: Exporting data from view

Exporting data from view

От
"Worky Workerson"
Дата:
I read recently about the efforts underway to COPY from a view,
however I was wondering what the current best-practices are for being
able to copy out of a view and import that data into an actual table
elsewhere.  I am currently doing psql -c "SELECT ..." and the using a
bit of perl to transform that into something copyable (i.e. CSV), but
is there a way to directly export the data in an easily importable
form?

Thanks!

Re: Exporting data from view

От
"Aaron Koning"
Дата:
google pg_dump

On 6/20/06, Worky Workerson <worky.workerson@gmail.com> wrote:
I read recently about the efforts underway to COPY from a view,
however I was wondering what the current best-practices are for being
able to copy out of a view and import that data into an actual table
elsewhere.  I am currently doing psql -c "SELECT ..." and the using a
bit of perl to transform that into something copyable (i.e. CSV), but
is there a way to directly export the data in an easily importable
form?

Thanks!

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

--
+--------------------------------------------
+--------------------------------------------
|  http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/fist/
|  http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/gctp-js/
+--------------------------------------------

Re: Exporting data from view

От
"Worky Workerson"
Дата:
On 6/20/06, Aaron Koning <aaronkoning@gmail.com> wrote:
> google pg_dump

Really?  What command do you use?  I've tried the following:

pg_dump -t viewname dbname

and I get the view definition, whereas I would like the data.  Is
there an option to pg_dump that I'm missing?

Re: Exporting data from view

От
"Aaron Koning"
Дата:
CREATE TABLE sometable AS SELECT * FROM someview;
pg_dump -t sometable dbname
DROP TABLE sometable

Que? Si!

+--------------------------------------------
|   http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/fist/
|  http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/gctp-js/
+--------------------------------------------

Re: Exporting data from view

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 10:29:21AM -0700, Aaron Koning wrote:
> CREATE TABLE sometable AS SELECT * FROM someview;
> pg_dump -t sometable dbname
> DROP TABLE sometable
>
> Que? Si!

Eh? If you're going to create the table anyway, I'd use psql:

psql -c "COPY table TO STDOUT"

If you put "CSV" there you can get the output in CSV. Far cleaner than
pg_dump.
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения

Re: Exporting data from view

От
"Aaron Koning"
Дата:
copyable, importable... into Excel or another postgres db?

Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/

+--------------------------------------------
|  http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/fist/
|  http://datashare.gis.unbc.ca/gctp-js/
+--------------------------------------------

Re: Exporting data from view

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 12:44:24PM -0700, Aaron Koning wrote:
> copyable, importable... into Excel or another postgres db?

Ofcourse. It doesn't have the table definition ofcourse, just the data.
The CSV format was added specifically for importing into Excel and
similar programs...

> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения

Re: Exporting data from view

От
Brent Wood

> I read recently about the efforts underway to COPY from a view,
> however I was wondering what the current best-practices are for being
> able to copy out of a view and import that data into an actual table
> elsewhere.  I am currently doing psql -c "SELECT ..." and the using a
> bit of perl to transform that into something copyable (i.e. CSV), but
> is there a way to directly export the data in an easily importable
> form?

psql -A -t -c "select * from <view>";

You can use -F to set the delimiter
            -o to specify an output file name (or just redirect stdout)

etc.

Try  man psql

To redirect it into a table,

"insert into table ....
 select .... ;"

between databases/systems

psql -d <DB> -p <port> -A -t -c "select * from <view>"; | psql ... "copy
from stdin...;"

can work, as the psql extract can be written to generate the same format
as copy from.

Brent Wood