Обсуждение: Proposed Feature

Proposed Feature

От
Naz Gassiep
Дата:
I'm using PG on windows for the first time (as of about 6 minutes ago).
I was thinking that it would be great to have a system tray icon with a
running indicator, kind of like the way Apache2.x for windows has, or
even MSSQL. Perhaps the PG logo with a small white circle with a red
square or a green triangle in the same fashion.
Just a thought.
- Naz.

Re: Proposed Feature

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Naz Gassiep wrote:
> I'm using PG on windows for the first time (as of about 6 minutes ago).
> I was thinking that it would be great to have a system tray icon with a
> running indicator, kind of like the way Apache2.x for windows has, or
> even MSSQL. Perhaps the PG logo with a small white circle with a red
> square or a green triangle in the same fashion.
> Just a thought.

And what does the icon show or do?

Re: Proposed Feature

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Naz Gassiep wrote:
>> I'm using PG on windows for the first time (as of about 6 minutes ago).
>> I was thinking that it would be great to have a system tray icon with a
>> running indicator, kind of like the way Apache2.x for windows has, or
>> even MSSQL. Perhaps the PG logo with a small white circle with a red
>> square or a green triangle in the same fashion.
>> Just a thought.
>
> And what does the icon show or do?

We had this for the win32 version of replicator. Ours allowed:

Viewing Eventlog
Start/Stop

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Proposed Feature

От
Tony Caduto
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Naz Gassiep wrote:
>
>> I'm using PG on windows for the first time (as of about 6 minutes ago).
>> I was thinking that it would be great to have a system tray icon with a
>> running indicator, kind of like the way Apache2.x for windows has, or
>> even MSSQL. Perhaps the PG logo with a small white circle with a red
>> square or a green triangle in the same fashion.
>> Just a thought.
>>

> And what does the icon show or do?

That would be pretty easy to do with Delphi.
I could whip something up and donate it to the project with a BSD license.

It could be a green "Play" arrow if the service is running and a red one
if it is not, then have a few right click options
to start/stop/restart the service.

I was thinking the same thing awhile back, but forgot about it.

Later,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design

Re: Proposed Feature

От
Naz Gassiep
Дата:
Hi,
    It provides a very quick and easy status check (running or not) as
well as right click access to start/stop and any other basic admin
features that may be appropriate. I'd be happy with seeing whether it
was running, as well as start/stop accessible via one right click. It's
the same as Apache for Win32, MSSQL any many other server programs.
- Naz.

Bruce Momjian wrote:

  Naz Gassiep wrote:

    I'm using PG on windows for the first time (as of about 6 minutes ago).
I was thinking that it would be great to have a system tray icon with a
running indicator, kind of like the way Apache2.x for windows has, or
even MSSQL. Perhaps the PG logo with a small white circle with a red
square or a green triangle in the same fashion.
Just a thought.

And what does the icon show or do?

Re: Proposed Feature

От
Naz Gassiep
Дата:
Hey,
    I'm sure that'd be greatly appreciated, most other major servers and
DBs have a similar feature, and that's what the systray is for, i.e.,
viewing major user-installed services.
- Naz.

Tony Caduto wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Naz Gassiep wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using PG on windows for the first time (as of about 6 minutes ago).
>>> I was thinking that it would be great to have a system tray icon with a
>>> running indicator, kind of like the way Apache2.x for windows has, or
>>> even MSSQL. Perhaps the PG logo with a small white circle with a red
>>> square or a green triangle in the same fashion.
>>> Just a thought.
>>>

>> And what does the icon show or do?
>>

> That would be pretty easy to do with Delphi.
> I could whip something up and donate it to the project with a BSD
> license.
>
> It could be a green "Play" arrow if the service is running and a red
> one if it is not, then have a few right click options
> to start/stop/restart the service.
>
> I was thinking the same thing awhile back, but forgot about it.
>
> Later,

Re: Proposed Feature

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Tony Caduto wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Naz Gassiep wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using PG on windows for the first time (as of about 6 minutes ago).
>>> I was thinking that it would be great to have a system tray icon with a
>>> running indicator, kind of like the way Apache2.x for windows has, or
>>> even MSSQL. Perhaps the PG logo with a small white circle with a red
>>> square or a green triangle in the same fashion.
>>> Just a thought.
>>>

>> And what does the icon show or do?
>>

> That would be pretty easy to do with Delphi.
> I could whip something up and donate it to the project with a BSD license.

I think it'd be reasonably easy in any language really, but that's
beside the point - if you're volunteering to do it, you get to pick
language :)

Does Delphi bring in any additional runtime requirements, though? I
don't think we'd want to add a big extra runtime for such a small thing.

> It could be a green "Play" arrow if the service is running and a red one
> if it is not, then have a few right click options
> to start/stop/restart the service.

How would it deal with multiple servers (same or different version)
running on the same box? I did think about this for 10 minutes back when
we first did 8.0 for win32, but I got stuck somewhere between that
question and the fact that I didn't need/want it myself :-)

//Magnus

Re: Proposed Feature

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Naz Gassiep wrote:
> Hey,
>     I'm sure that'd be greatly appreciated, most other major servers and
> DBs have a similar feature, and that's what the systray is for, i.e.,
> viewing major user-installed services.

Don't forget that the tray (or taskbar notification area as it's
supposed to be called) is one of the most abused areas of the windows
GUI. I've seen installs where it takes up half the screen. So it's not
*necessarily* a good thing - making it mandatory to have an easy way to
turn it off. And if we don't add any actual *functionality*, it should
absolutely not be enabled by default. Providing it as an option is never
wrong, though.

//Magnus

Re: Proposed Feature

От
"Dave Page"

I have no problem adding such a gizmo to the installer if it works well and has no onerous runtime requirements, but I
wouldn'twant it to be installed by default.

/D

Re: Proposed Feature

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 23/06/2007 10:30, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Does Delphi bring in any additional runtime requirements, though? I
> don't think we'd want to add a big extra runtime for such a small thing.

Delhpi executables are completely self-contained - they don't need any
extra runtime libraries or DLLs (unless you create them yourself, of
course). That does mean that a Win32 GUI app will be around 300k or so
minimum.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Proposed Feature

От
Naz Gassiep
Дата:
Yo,
    I'd have no problem with it being disabled by default. I ruthlessly
pare my systray down and turn on the hide inactive icons function as
well. But when I have PG running it is the sort of thing I'd want to be
able to see at a glance, the same as with Apache.
- Naz.

Magnus Hagander wrote:

  Naz Gassiep wrote:

    Hey,
    I'm sure that'd be greatly appreciated, most other major servers and
DBs have a similar feature, and that's what the systray is for, i.e.,
viewing major user-installed services.

Don't forget that the tray (or taskbar notification area as it's
supposed to be called) is one of the most abused areas of the windows
GUI. I've seen installs where it takes up half the screen. So it's not
*necessarily* a good thing - making it mandatory to have an easy way to
turn it off. And if we don't add any actual *functionality*, it should
absolutely not be enabled by default. Providing it as an option is never
wrong, though.

//Magnus

       match

Re: Proposed Feature

От
"Joris Dobbelsteen"
Дата:

I fully agree with the not part of the default installation. And make it
easy to turn the thing off.

In that respect it sound like a good feature for developer systems (not
servers per se). Just ensure for a small memory footprint, preferably
within a few 100 KB of memory. If you are going over 1 MB you are
seriously doing something wrong. (Obviously that might be acceptable
when I'm actively using it, but otherwise it should keep memory usage as
low as resonably possible).

Secondly it might be a good feature to let the user choose at
installation time to install postgres as a service and either start it
on boot (server) or have the user control when it should start
(developer system). In the latter case, such a tray icon might be a very
good feature (since it keeps my 1.5 GB of memory less occupied than
full, though postgresql is already quite a friendly program in this
respect).

- Joris

Re: Proposed Feature

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Joris Dobbelsteen wrote:
> [...]

Good point. I could hack it up in C# in 15 minutes, and it'd be a 32Kb
EXE file. But it'd use 15-20Mb RAM at least, making it completely
unacceptable of course. So that's absolutely an important figure.

//Magnus

Re: Proposed Feature

От
Steve Atkins
Дата:
On Jun 23, 2007, at 11:06 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> I fully agree with the not part of the default installation. And
>> make it
>> easy to turn the thing off.
>>
>> In that respect it sound like a good feature for developer systems
>> (not
>> servers per se). Just ensure for a small memory footprint, preferably
>> within a few 100 KB of memory. If you are going over 1 MB you are
>> seriously doing something wrong. (Obviously that might be acceptable
>> when I'm actively using it, but otherwise it should keep memory
>> usage as
>> low as resonably possible).
>
> Good point. I could hack it up in C# in 15 minutes, and it'd be a 32Kb
> EXE file. But it'd use 15-20Mb RAM at least, making it completely
> unacceptable of course. So that's absolutely an important figure.

For something with such trivial functionality, using your application
framework of choice (C#, Java, MFC, Qt, Delphi) is, however tempting,
not going to be a good fit, for dependency reasons as much as
resource usage.

But it's probably under a couple of hundred lines of c/win32, and
wouldn't be too hard to cobble together.

Cheers,
   Steve