Обсуждение: pg_dump

pg_dump

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
Hi

I am having a little more success with the pg_dump command. However, I still
seem to have something wrong.

I use the following command after navigating to the bin file -

pg_dump -h localhost -d Aurel -U postgres

After six attempts -

Each attempt processed the database and the command prompt announced a
successful completion.

after 3 attempts - no dump file was found
after 2 attempts - a dump file of 0kb was found.
after the sixth attempt a good dump file of 4 meg made it to the bin folder.
I was able to install this file successfully.

Is it usual to require multiple attempts for each successful dump???

If not, does anyone have thoughts on where  the problem could be??

Bob Pawley

Re: pg_dump

От
Erik Jones
Дата:
On Dec 7, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Bob Pawley wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am having a little more success with the pg_dump command.
> However, I still seem to have something wrong.
>
> I use the following command after navigating to the bin file -
>
> pg_dump -h localhost -d Aurel -U postgres
>
> After six attempts -
>
> Each attempt processed the database and the command prompt
> announced a successful completion.
>
> after 3 attempts - no dump file was found
> after 2 attempts - a dump file of 0kb was found.
> after the sixth attempt a good dump file of 4 meg made it to the
> bin folder. I was able to install this file successfully.
>
> Is it usual to require multiple attempts for each successful dump???
>
> If not, does anyone have thoughts on where  the problem could be??

If that's all you're doing then I'm surprised you ever saw a file at
all.  pg_dump writes to standard output unless you give it a file
name to write to with the -f flag.  So, from your bin directory (I
normally just put it in my environment PATH variable).

./pg_dump -h localhost -d Aurel -U postgres -f dumpfile.sql

or

.pg_dump -h localhost -d Aurel -U postgres > dumpfile.sql

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
615.292.0777 (fax)

Re: pg_dump

От
Bob Pawley
Дата:
Thanks Erik. In between those attempts I did try what you suggest.

It failed, apparently due to not making a connection with the server.

Bob