Обсуждение: settings for 8.2.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.11

settings for 8.2.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.11

От
Matthew Hixson
Дата:
What are good settings for shared_buffers and max_connections with
the above software combo?  Out of the box I'm getting the "Cannot
allocate memory" message upon doing a 'make check'.
   Thanks,
    -M@

Re: settings for 8.2.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.11

Дата:
Matthew Hixson <hixson@poindextrose.org> writes:
> What are good settings for shared_buffers and max_connections with
> the above software combo?  Out of the box I'm getting the "Cannot
> allocate memory" message upon doing a 'make check'.

The best thing is to fix the OS' ridiculously small shmem limits.
I've got this in /etc/sysctl.conf:

kern.sysv.shmmax=33554432
kern.sysv.shmmin=1
kern.sysv.shmmni=32
kern.sysv.shmseg=8
kern.sysv.shmall=8192

and on a production DB you'd probably want shmmax and shmall
a good bit higher.

Don't forget to reboot after changing settings.  Also, a
"sysctl -a | grep shm" is a good idea to make sure it "took";
OS X is infamously picky about these settings.

            regards, tom lane

Re: settings for 8.2.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.11

От
Wolfgang Keller
Дата:
> The best thing is to fix the OS' ridiculously small shmem limits.
> I've got this in /etc/sysctl.conf:
>
> kern.sysv.shmmax=33554432
> kern.sysv.shmmin=1
> kern.sysv.shmmni=32
> kern.sysv.shmseg=8
> kern.sysv.shmall=8192

Dependency on the available RAM?

> and on a production DB you'd probably want shmmax and shmall
> a good bit higher.
>
> Don't forget to reboot after changing settings.  Also, a
> "sysctl -a | grep shm" is a good idea to make sure it "took";
> OS X is infamously picky about these settings.
>
>             regards, tom lane

A Macnerd as a core developer of Postgres? :-)

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

Re: settings for 8.2.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.11

От
Erik Jones
Дата:
On Dec 21, 2007, at 2:12 AM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:

>> The best thing is to fix the OS' ridiculously small shmem limits.
>> I've got this in /etc/sysctl.conf:
>>
>> kern.sysv.shmmax=33554432
>> kern.sysv.shmmin=1
>> kern.sysv.shmmni=32
>> kern.sysv.shmseg=8
>> kern.sysv.shmall=8192
>
> Dependency on the available RAM?
>
>> and on a production DB you'd probably want shmmax and shmall
>> a good bit higher.
>>
>> Don't forget to reboot after changing settings.  Also, a
>> "sysctl -a | grep shm" is a good idea to make sure it "took";
>> OS X is infamously picky about these settings.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane
>
> A Macnerd as a core developer of Postgres? :-)

Not surprising.  Macs are an absolute joy for developing.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888