Обсуждение: No download of Windows binaries without registering?

No download of Windows binaries without registering?

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Hi,

it seems that you cannot download PostgreSQL from the EnterpriseDB website without first registering with EnterpriseDB.
Ican somhow understand this cumbersome requirement for their own products, but I do not like the taste of it for the
"plain"PostgreSQL builds. This doesn't sound right to me that I have to reveal my Company, Email *and* telephone number
inorder to download it.

If one goes directly http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do this is not necessary (which is what I
expect),but as far as I can tell, there is no direct link to that page.

I would appreciate it very much if the download link for the "plain" PostgreSQL builds from
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/download.dowould lead to the download page directly without the registration
screen.

Regards
Thomas

Re: No download of Windows binaries without registering?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 20:11, Thomas Kellerer<spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it seems that you cannot download PostgreSQL from the EnterpriseDB website
> without first registering with EnterpriseDB. I can somhow understand this
> cumbersome requirement for their own products, but I do not like the taste
> of it for the "plain" PostgreSQL builds. This doesn't sound right to me that
> I have to reveal my Company, Email *and* telephone number in order to
> download it.
> If one goes directly http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do
> this is not necessary (which is what I expect), but as far as I can tell,
> there is no direct link to that page.
> I would appreciate it very much if the download link for the "plain"
> PostgreSQL builds from http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/download.do
> would lead to the download page directly without the registration screen.

You can certainly get it without registering. The link from the
PostgreSQL download page points to
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do, where no
registration is required.

How did you end up at the page above? Perhaps we have a link that
points to the wrong EDB page somewhere?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: No download of Windows binaries without registering?

От
Sam Mason
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 08:11:58PM +0200, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> If one goes directly http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do
> this is not necessary (which is what I expect), but as far as I can tell,
> there is no direct link to that page.

hum,

  http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows

seems to point there.  Maybe the link there from:

  http://www.postgresql.org/download/

could be clearer somehow?

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

Re: No download of Windows binaries without registering?

От
Rainer Bauer
Дата:
Thomas Kellerer schrieb:

>If one goes directly http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do this is not necessary (which is what I
expect),but as far as I can tell, there is no direct link to that page.

You get there from the official PostgreSQL download page:
<http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows>

Rainer

Re: No download of Windows binaries without registering?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 20:45, Sam Mason<sam@samason.me.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 08:11:58PM +0200, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
>> If one goes directly http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do
>> this is not necessary (which is what I expect), but as far as I can tell,
>> there is no direct link to that page.
>
> hum,
>
>  http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
>
> seems to point there.  Maybe the link there from:

Really? When i click that link, I get to the page that doesn't require
registration...

>  http://www.postgresql.org/download/
>
> could be clearer somehow?

The link from there, for "Postgres Plus", also brings me to a page
that doesn't require registration..

Exactly which link do you click to get to the page that requires registration?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: No download of Windows binaries without registering?

От
Sam Mason
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 08:58:17PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 20:45, Sam Mason<sam@samason.me.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 08:11:58PM +0200, Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> >> If one goes directly http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgbindownload.do
> >> this is not necessary (which is what I expect), but as far as I can tell,
> >> there is no direct link to that page.
> >
> > hum,
> >
> >   http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
> >
> > seems to point there.
>
> Really? When i click that link, I get to the page that doesn't require
> registration...

um, that's what I said isn't it?  What I meant to say anyway was that
the link I gave contained a pretty prominent link to the page that
Thomas gave that doesn't require registration.

> Exactly which link do you click to get to the page that requires
> registration?

I didn't get any, that was the question I was trying to ask.  Maybe I
should have been clearer somehow? :)

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/

Re: No download of Windows binaries without registering?

От
Thomas Kellerer
Дата:
Magnus Hagander wrote on 26.08.2009 20:37:

> You can certainly get it without registering. The link from the
> PostgreSQL download page points to
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/pgdownload.do, where no
> registration is required.
>
> How did you end up at the page above? Perhaps we have a link that
> points to the wrong EDB page somewhere?

A sorry, I did not follow the link from the Postgres page, but came from
http://www.enterprisedb.com/products/download.do

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't realise the link from the postgresql.org site bypassed the registration screen.

Thomas

Re: No download of Windows binaries without registering?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 21:15, Sam Mason<sam@samason.me.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 08:58:17PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> >
>> > hum,
>> >
>> >   http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
>> >
>> > seems to point there.
>>
>> Really? When i click that link, I get to the page that doesn't require
>> registration...
>
> um, that's what I said isn't it?  What I meant to say anyway was that
> the link I gave contained a pretty prominent link to the page that
> Thomas gave that doesn't require registration.

I'm probably too tired to multitask this much :-) Sorry, misread
things completely.