Обсуждение: How can I run a PostgreSQL database outside /var/run/postgresql?

How can I run a PostgreSQL database outside /var/run/postgresql?

От
Frank Church
Дата:
How can I run a PostgreSQL database independently of the normal packaged based configuration?

I just want to start up postgres or pg_ctl process using a different port, pointing to a different data directory and get it running, with permissions etc working okay.

I don't want it to depend on the existing package page structure in /etc/postgresql and /var/run/postgresql. The only thing required is database compatiblity with the existing package based installations, which I may be able to install if they are absent

The main points are -

1. Which data and configurations should be copied, ie the files and directories should be copied from /etc/postgresql/xxx and /var/run/postgresql

2. What executables are required, whether they can be extracted from existing packages ie rpm/deb directly or after they have been installations to their locations.

3. My preference will be to use existing package based installations or install them if possible in case of dependencies which are not present in my files, with my executables as there second option.

Thanks

voipfc

Re: How can I run a PostgreSQL database outside /var/run/postgresql?

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
Frank Church <voipfc@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just want to start up postgres or pg_ctl process using a
> different port, pointing to a different data directory and get it
> running, with permissions etc working okay.

I recommend you spend some time looking over the relevant
documentation, trying to make it work, and posting a more specific
question if you have problems with that.  These links might be good
places to start:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/tutorial-start.html

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/app-initdb.html

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: How can I run a PostgreSQL database outside /var/run/postgresql?

От
David Johnston
Дата:
Kevin Grittner-5 wrote
> Frank Church <

> voipfc@

> > wrote:
>
>> I just want to start up postgres or pg_ctl process using a
>> different port, pointing to a different data directory and get it
>> running, with permissions etc working okay.
>
> I recommend you spend some time looking over the relevant
> documentation, trying to make it work, and posting a more specific
> question if you have problems with that.  These links might be good
> places to start:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/tutorial-start.html
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/app-initdb.html

Or this one:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/installation.html

Its hard to tell what you ultimate goal is.  Do you want to create you own
custom file layout instead of one that has been chosen by one of the popular
and well-supported distros?  If so the short answer is to, in effect, create
you own custom package.  That ultimately requires that you compile
PostgreSQL yourself with your own custom configuration.

David J.