Обсуждение: 6.5 Release date

6.5 Release date

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
I have just talked to Thomas Lockhart, and he will need a few days to
finish up the docs.  He has said he needs some time once all the changes
are made.  There are over 800 pages of documenation, so it takes some
time to complete.

I recommend a Monday, June 14th release date.  I know it is later than
we wanted, but I am not sure what choice we have unless we want to ship
with incomplete documenation, which seems wrong to me.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have just talked to Thomas Lockhart, and he will need a few days to
> finish up the docs.  He has said he needs some time once all the changes
> are made.  There are over 800 pages of documenation, so it takes some
> time to complete.
>
> I recommend a Monday, June 14th release date.  I know it is later than
> we wanted, but I am not sure what choice we have unless we want to ship
> with incomplete documenation, which seems wrong to me.

I concur...let's hold her till June 14th then.  No source changes between
now and then, unless *absolutely* required...agreed? :)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I have just talked to Thomas Lockhart, and he will need a few days to
> > finish up the docs.  He has said he needs some time once all the changes
> > are made.  There are over 800 pages of documenation, so it takes some
> > time to complete.
> >
> > I recommend a Monday, June 14th release date.  I know it is later than
> > we wanted, but I am not sure what choice we have unless we want to ship
> > with incomplete documenation, which seems wrong to me.
>
> I concur...let's hold her till June 14th then.  No source changes between
> now and then, unless *absolutely* required...agreed? :)

We'll try... :))

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > I have just talked to Thomas Lockhart, and he will need a few days to
> > > finish up the docs.  He has said he needs some time once all the changes
> > > are made.  There are over 800 pages of documenation, so it takes some
> > > time to complete.
> > >
> > > I recommend a Monday, June 14th release date.  I know it is later than
> > > we wanted, but I am not sure what choice we have unless we want to ship
> > > with incomplete documenation, which seems wrong to me.
> >
> > I concur...let's hold her till June 14th then.  No source changes between
> > now and then, unless *absolutely* required...agreed? :)
>
> We'll try... :))

*If* I see a source change, I will try and build up a new beta that night
so that ppl can run through it, but if we can avoid that, all the better
:)

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > I have just talked to Thomas Lockhart, and he will need a few days to
> > finish up the docs.  He has said he needs some time once all the changes
> > are made.  There are over 800 pages of documenation, so it takes some
> > time to complete.
> >
> > I recommend a Monday, June 14th release date.  I know it is later than
> > we wanted, but I am not sure what choice we have unless we want to ship
> > with incomplete documenation, which seems wrong to me.
>
> I concur...let's hold her till June 14th then.  No source changes between
> now and then, unless *absolutely* required...agreed? :)

Change the date on the web page?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Go for her...

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > I have just talked to Thomas Lockhart, and he will need a few days to
> > > finish up the docs.  He has said he needs some time once all the changes
> > > are made.  There are over 800 pages of documenation, so it takes some
> > > time to complete.
> > >
> > > I recommend a Monday, June 14th release date.  I know it is later than
> > > we wanted, but I am not sure what choice we have unless we want to ship
> > > with incomplete documenation, which seems wrong to me.
> >
> > I concur...let's hold her till June 14th then.  No source changes between
> > now and then, unless *absolutely* required...agreed? :)
>
> Change the date on the web page?
>
> Vince.
> --
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
>        # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > I have just talked to Thomas Lockhart, and he will need a few days to
> > > finish up the docs.  He has said he needs some time once all the changes
> > > are made.  There are over 800 pages of documenation, so it takes some
> > > time to complete.
> > >
> > > I recommend a Monday, June 14th release date.  I know it is later than
> > > we wanted, but I am not sure what choice we have unless we want to ship
> > > with incomplete documenation, which seems wrong to me.
> >
> > I concur...let's hold her till June 14th then.  No source changes between
> > now and then, unless *absolutely* required...agreed? :)
>
> Change the date on the web page?

Yes, please.  Any chance for new web look by then?  (I am a comedian.)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 09-Jun-99 Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> > I concur...let's hold her till June 14th then.  No source changes between
>> > now and then, unless *absolutely* required...agreed? :)
>>
>> Change the date on the web page?
>
> Yes, please.  Any chance for new web look by then?  (I am a comedian.)

It didn't look good, but a water main break closed the complex and I'm
home today.  So I'm working on it now.  I made up some templates for the
new stuff and we'll see how it goes.  I still need to write a couple of
quick scripts to make future changes easier, but that's only a few min
job.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Sorry Mark,

    this  late  I have now a regression test for the NUMERIC data
    type. Should I add it or is it too late?

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> > Yes, please.  Any chance for new web look by then?  (I am a comedian.)
>
> It didn't look good, but a water main break closed the complex and I'm
> home today.  So I'm working on it now.  I made up some templates for the
> new stuff and we'll see how it goes.  I still need to write a couple of
> quick scripts to make future changes easier, but that's only a few min
> job.

Aw, water main break.  That's a shame.  :-)  (Yes!)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:

> Sorry Mark,
>
>     this  late  I have now a regression test for the NUMERIC data
>     type. Should I add it or is it too late?

I personally see no problems with adding a new regression test to the
tree...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> I have now a regression test for the NUMERIC data
> type. Should I add it or is it too late?

Add it. I'll help test. We'll ask Mark about it later ;)
                - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Yes, please.  Any chance for new web look by then?  (I am a comedian.)
> >
> > It didn't look good, but a water main break closed the complex and I'm
> > home today.  So I'm working on it now.  I made up some templates for the
> > new stuff and we'll see how it goes.  I still need to write a couple of
> > quick scripts to make future changes easier, but that's only a few min
> > job.
>
> Aw, water main break.  That's a shame.  :-)  (Yes!)

I love the genuine sympathy in this one *rofl*

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
> > Sorry Mark,
> >
> >     this  late  I have now a regression test for the NUMERIC data
> >     type. Should I add it or is it too late?
>
> I personally see no problems with adding a new regression test to the
> tree...

    But I see a little one on it.

    The  test  I've  created  uses  some  values  that  have been
    calcuated by bc(1) with a precision of 1000 digits after  the
    decimal point.  And it excessively uses LOG, POWER etc.

    The  SQL  script  plus  the expected .out are about 500K.  It
    run's about 1 hour and 13 minutes on a 333 MHz PII system (no
    disk activity during it - real CPU time).

    I  think  it  should  be  somewhat  separate  from  the usual
    regression because some older hardware  would  need  days  to
    complete the entire suite.

    What  about  adding  a  'make longtest' to the regression and
    printing a hint about it at the end of 'make runtest'? I  see
    we're  short  of  time,  so I'll do it this way now and maybe
    later turn the wheel back.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)

> > I have now a regression test for the NUMERIC data
> > type. Should I add it or is it too late?
>
> Add it. I'll help test. We'll ask Mark about it later ;)

    O.K. - it's in place.

    I've  added  2  tests  for  NUMERIC. One that is performed by
    default on target 'runtest'. This one uses 100  digits  after
    the  decimal point.  It causes the entire regression suite to
    take now 2.5 times longer than before.

    The other one is mainly the same test, just with other values
    and  this  time 1000 digits after the decimal point. This one
    is added to the end of  the  regression  suite  if  the  make
    target 'bigtest' is used.

    Both  stress  the  CPU  havily  by  calculating square roots,
    logarithms and power to the wanted precision.  I  don't  have
    any clue how many internal add, subtract, multiply and divide
    cycles they cause - all the complex functions  are  based  on
    Taylor/McLaurin. But it must be some hundreds.

    All expected results have been precalculated with bc(1) using
    a slightly higher precision. So you shouldn't have  to  check
    ALL  the  numerical  results  in the 250K numeric_big test by
    hand - maybe you do it anyway just to be sure that  there  is
    not one single difference of 10^^-1000 :-)

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

Дата:
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck) writes:
>     The  SQL  script  plus  the expected .out are about 500K.  It
>     run's about 1 hour and 13 minutes on a 333 MHz PII system (no
>     disk activity during it - real CPU time).

Yipes.  That's a tad heavyweight for a regression test of *one* feature.

I had in mind something that would help us catch portability bugs,
not something that would encourage people to buy new hardware ;-).
        regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
>     The  SQL  script  plus  the expected .out are about 500K.  It
>     run's about 1 hour and 13 minutes on a 333 MHz PII system (no
>     disk activity during it - real CPU time).
>
>     I  think  it  should  be  somewhat  separate  from  the usual
>     regression because some older hardware  would  need  days  to
>     complete the entire suite.
>
>     What  about  adding  a  'make longtest' to the regression and
>     printing a hint about it at the end of 'make runtest'? I  see
>     we're  short  of  time,  so I'll do it this way now and maybe
>     later turn the wheel back.

Can we get a short version for 6.5, and add a 'decimal-test' version to
a later release.

Pennsylvania19026

RE: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
"Hiroshi Inoue"

> I concur...let's hold her till June 14th then.  No source changes between
> now and then, unless *absolutely* required...agreed? :)

Please put the implementaion of mdtruncate() back to old one.
Current implementation is the worst one.

For example,trying to truncate a    1.5G( = 1G + 0.5G )  table to  1.2G,
vacuum expander would expand the table to    1.7G( = 1.2G + 0.5G) .

Regards.

Hiroshi Inoue
Inoue@tpf.co.jp

Re: [HACKERS] 6.5 Release date

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
I need a patch to the current tree.  I don't see a previous version of
md.c, and at this point, I am not going to guess on a fix.

> > I concur...let's hold her till June 14th then.  No source changes between
> > now and then, unless *absolutely* required...agreed? :)
> >

> Please put the implementaion of mdtruncate() back to old one.
> Current implementation is the worst one.
>
> For example,trying to truncate a
>         1.5G( = 1G + 0.5G )  table to  1.2G,
> vacuum expander would expand the table to
>         1.7G( = 1.2G + 0.5G) .
>
> Regards.
>
> Hiroshi Inoue
> Inoue@tpf.co.jp