Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 18:33:39 +0300 (EEST)
From: sergiy grigoriev <serg@localhost.localdomain>
To: pgsql-questions@postgresql.org
Subject: postgresql-java (fwd)

    Hi !While developing a Java GUI front-end to Postgresql I've faced the
next problem:
I want my program to  1. list all the available tables in the database                     2. Show the structure of the
chosentable.1.The first task is OK,it can easily be done by inspecting  the PG_TABLES2. Please tell me how can I
determinethe structure of the table(field names and types) using Postgres JDBC Driver in order to

complete the second task.
Thank you in advance for your reply.

Re: postgresql-java (fwd)

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
>   1. list all the available tables in the database
>   2. Show the structure of the chosen table.

You might want to inspect the code for psql to see how this is done.
"\d" and "\d tablename" seem to do what you want.
                  - Thomas

Re: postgresql-java (fwd)

От
Dave Smith
Дата:
sergiy grigoriev wrote:

> [...]
You want to use the JDBC DatabaseMetaData class. In contains the the
methods getTables() and getColumns().
Refer to the JDBC API at
http://java.sun.com/products//jdk/1.2/docs/guide/jdbc/index.html
--