Обсуждение: CVS tags

CVS tags

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
I finally got around to looking at adding $PostgreSQL$ tags to all files
in the repository. To see what I was looking at, I ran the following on
a clean checkout:

find . -type f ! -path \*/CVS\* ! -exec grep -q '$PostgreSQL: pgsql' {} \; -print

The results are at http://jim.nasby.net/no_cvs_tag.txt

Since we're talking about 1100 files here, many of which might need the
tag added manually, I'm wondering if I should break this into chunks
(ie: src, contrib, everything else) rather than submitting one huge
patch. Anyone care one way or another?

Re: CVS tags

Дата:
"Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> I finally got around to looking at adding $PostgreSQL$ tags to all files
> in the repository.

Um, surely most of the ones that should have such tags already do.
(contrib might be a glaring weak spot.)  We have explicitly decided
*not* to have tags in places such as the regression test files, because
of the comparison problems that would create.  Nor does it seem
appropriate to add tags in files that are verbatim copies of other
projects' upstream files (config.guess and the zic timezone files are
examples here).
        regards, tom lane

Re: CVS tags

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 03:43:11PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
> > I finally got around to looking at adding $PostgreSQL$ tags to all files
> > in the repository.
>
> Um, surely most of the ones that should have such tags already do.
> (contrib might be a glaring weak spot.)  We have explicitly decided
> *not* to have tags in places such as the regression test files, because
> of the comparison problems that would create.  Nor does it seem
> appropriate to add tags in files that are verbatim copies of other
> projects' upstream files (config.guess and the zic timezone files are
> examples here).

I figured some of these files would be better off without tags, but
there still seems to be a number of files that should have them but
don't. src/test/regress/sql, *.po, some other bits of backend code.
There's also some stuff in doc.

But if folks feel getting $PostgreSQL$ tags in the remaining files isn't
useful I'm happy to let it drop.

Re: CVS tags

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 03:43:11PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> writes:
>>> I finally got around to looking at adding $PostgreSQL$ tags to all files
>>> in the repository.
>>
>> Um, surely most of the ones that should have such tags already do.
>> (contrib might be a glaring weak spot.)  We have explicitly decided
>> *not* to have tags in places such as the regression test files, because
>> of the comparison problems that would create.  Nor does it seem
>> appropriate to add tags in files that are verbatim copies of other
>> projects' upstream files (config.guess and the zic timezone files are
>> examples here).
>
> I figured some of these files would be better off without tags, but
> there still seems to be a number of files that should have them but
> don't. src/test/regress/sql, *.po, some other bits of backend code.
> There's also some stuff in doc.
>
> But if folks feel getting $PostgreSQL$ tags in the remaining files isn't
> useful I'm happy to let it drop.

I don't believe that that is what Tom said ... he was just throwing at you
an exclusion list of stuff we consciously do not put the tag in ...

----