Обсуждение: DROP TABLE in transaction

DROP TABLE in transaction

От
David Olbersen
Дата:
Hello.

I was wondering if anybody could explain to me why I can't roll back dropping a
table. I would think that of all the events that should be rollback-able,
dropping a table would be the first on the list.

-- Dave

Re: DROP TABLE in transaction

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
David Olbersen writes:

> I was wondering if anybody could explain to me why I can't roll back dropping a
> table.

Because DROP TABLE removes the table file on disk, and you can't roll back
that.  Actually, in 7.1 you can.  ;-)

> I would think that of all the events that should be rollback-able,
> dropping a table would be the first on the list.

Naah.  Insert and update are first.  ;-)

Re: DROP TABLE in transaction

От
David Olbersen
Дата:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Because DROP TABLE removes the table file on disk, and you can't roll back
> that.  Actually, in 7.1 you can.  ;-)

Well I understand that it's being taken from the disk, but why does that action
have to be done *right now*?
Why can't it be postponed until I type 'commit;' ?

I wonder how much time this addition would have saved those of us who type
quickly and use the tab-completion too much :)

-- Dave

Re: DROP TABLE in transaction

От
Joel Burton
Дата:
On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, David Olbersen wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>
> > Because DROP TABLE removes the table file on disk, and you can't roll back
> > that.  Actually, in 7.1 you can.  ;-)
>
> Well I understand that it's being taken from the disk, but why does that action
> have to be done *right now*?
> Why can't it be postponed until I type 'commit;' ?
>
> I wonder how much time this addition would have saved those of us who type
> quickly and use the tab-completion too much :)

If one were inclined to do this sort of thing, it might even make sense
to argue that DROP TABLE hides the table (sets an attrib so that it
doesn't show, query planner doesn't see it, etc.); it should actually be
removed from disk when the database on VACUUM.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>