Обсуждение: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Hi there,

I got message from nusphere.com about windows port of PostgreSQL.
They're looking for full time developer in Russia,Moscow.

Is this is a joke ?

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
From the folks who brought you lawsuits with mysql... If it is true it
is the first I have heard of it. While I don't see why it couldn't be
true (as nusphere did market a mysql database at one time) it seems a
little odd since this would be pretty direct competition with their
parent company, Progress Software. The other odd part being that they
are looking for a developer in Moscow, I didn't know they had offices in
Russia and I don't see mention of any on thier website.

Oleg, depending on the confidentially level of the letter (given that
some core members work for would be direct competitors), could you
forward it to this list or perhaps some of us directly? I'm sure
Josh/myself would like to take a look, it could have interesting
ramifications from an advocacy point-of-view.

Robert Treat

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 06:51, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I got message from nusphere.com about windows port of PostgreSQL.
> They're looking for full time developer in Russia,Moscow.
>
> Is this is a joke ?
>
>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> From the folks who brought you lawsuits with mysql... If it is true it
> is the first I have heard of it. While I don't see why it couldn't be
> true (as nusphere did market a mysql database at one time) it seems a
> little odd since this would be pretty direct competition with their
> parent company, Progress Software. The other odd part being that they
> are looking for a developer in Moscow, I didn't know they had offices in
> Russia and I don't see mention of any on thier website.

Ummmm ... wasn't Peer Direct a child company of Progress?  NuSphere was
their MySQL "division", and Peer Direct was their "PostgreSQL"?
Basically, put both hands in the pie and hope one comes out with some
fruit?

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
Robert,

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> >From the folks who brought you lawsuits with mysql... If it is true it
> is the first I have heard of it. While I don't see why it couldn't be
> true (as nusphere did market a mysql database at one time) it seems a
> little odd since this would be pretty direct competition with their
> parent company, Progress Software. The other odd part being that they
> are looking for a developer in Moscow, I didn't know they had offices in
> Russia and I don't see mention of any on thier website.
>
> Oleg, depending on the confidentially level of the letter (given that
> some core members work for would be direct competitors), could you
> forward it to this list or perhaps some of us directly? I'm sure
> Josh/myself would like to take a look, it could have interesting
> ramifications from an advocacy point-of-view.

there is nothing to add, except the company was mentioned as
NuSphere (PeerDirect) and From: field was nusphere.com. It's interesting
that the message was sent to me and Teodor Sigaev. I recall,
a year ago I got message from one russian developer about something like
GiST for MySQL. He is the author of UdmSearch (MnogoSearch).

> Robert Treat
>
> On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 06:51, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I got message from nusphere.com about windows port of PostgreSQL.
> > They're looking for full time developer in Russia,Moscow.
> >
> > Is this is a joke ?
> >
> >     Regards,
> >         Oleg
> > Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> > Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> > Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> > phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

Дата:
Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> I got message from nusphere.com about windows port of PostgreSQL.
> They're looking for full time developer in Russia,Moscow.

> Is this is a joke ?

No, I expect they're serious.  NuSphere does still own the PeerDirect
windows port that Jan worked on at his former job.  They need someone
to maintain that and bring it forward to newer versions of PG.  It's
not going to be a long-term product (assuming that we ever finish the
community's native port), so they need to keep the costs down.  I'm
not surprised that they'd be looking to send the development overseas
instead of keeping it at their US offices.

            regards, tom lane

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
Oleg Bartunov
Дата:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > I got message from nusphere.com about windows port of PostgreSQL.
> > They're looking for full time developer in Russia,Moscow.
>
> > Is this is a joke ?
>
> No, I expect they're serious.  NuSphere does still own the PeerDirect
> windows port that Jan worked on at his former job.  They need someone
> to maintain that and bring it forward to newer versions of PG.  It's
> not going to be a long-term product (assuming that we ever finish the
> community's native port), so they need to keep the costs down.  I'm
> not surprised that they'd be looking to send the development overseas
> instead of keeping it at their US offices.

Hmm, I suspect they have some developers here in Russia. At least full text
search resembles me MnogoSearch. Anyway, I'm not willing to work with them.
Postgres forever

>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

    Regards,
        Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 12:31, Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> > > I got message from nusphere.com about windows port of PostgreSQL.
> > > They're looking for full time developer in Russia,Moscow.
> >
> > > Is this is a joke ?
> >
> > No, I expect they're serious.  NuSphere does still own the PeerDirect
> > windows port that Jan worked on at his former job.  They need someone
> > to maintain that and bring it forward to newer versions of PG.  It's
> > not going to be a long-term product (assuming that we ever finish the
> > community's native port), so they need to keep the costs down.  I'm
> > not surprised that they'd be looking to send the development overseas
> > instead of keeping it at their US offices.
>
> Hmm, I suspect they have some developers here in Russia. At least full text
> search resembles me MnogoSearch. Anyway, I'm not willing to work with them.
> Postgres forever

Don't be too hasty. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd welcome an
updated commercial native windows solution (When's SRA's port coming out
in 1.0?) , especially if they'd be willing to provide a "diff" of the
code back to the community. We might as well have someone get paid for
work we will probably have to do anyways...

Robert Treat

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 12:31, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> > > No, I expect they're serious.  NuSphere does still own the PeerDirect
> > > windows port that Jan worked on at his former job.  They need someone
> > > to maintain that and bring it forward to newer versions of PG.  It's
> > > not going to be a long-term product (assuming that we ever finish the
> > > community's native port), so they need to keep the costs down.  I'm
> > > not surprised that they'd be looking to send the development overseas
> > > instead of keeping it at their US offices.
> >
> > Hmm, I suspect they have some developers here in Russia. At least full text
> > search resembles me MnogoSearch. Anyway, I'm not willing to work with them.
> > Postgres forever
> >

> Don't be too hasty. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd welcome an
> updated commercial native windows solution (When's SRA's port coming out
> in 1.0?) , especially if they'd be willing to provide a "diff" of the
> code back to the community. We might as well have someone get paid for
> work we will probably have to do anyways...

I think a few things that Oleg needs to find out first is whether or not
PeerDirect *will* feed it back to the community ... how much did they feed
back of Jan's work?  Considering where win32 seems to be sitting, it
doesn't seem like much ...

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> > >From the folks who brought you lawsuits with mysql... If it is true it
> > is the first I have heard of it. While I don't see why it couldn't be
> > true (as nusphere did market a mysql database at one time) it seems a
> > little odd since this would be pretty direct competition with their
> > parent company, Progress Software. The other odd part being that they
> > are looking for a developer in Moscow, I didn't know they had offices in
> > Russia and I don't see mention of any on thier website.
> >
> > Oleg, depending on the confidentially level of the letter (given that
> > some core members work for would be direct competitors), could you
> > forward it to this list or perhaps some of us directly? I'm sure
> > Josh/myself would like to take a look, it could have interesting
> > ramifications from an advocacy point-of-view.
>
> there is nothing to add, except the company was mentioned as
> NuSphere (PeerDirect) and From: field was nusphere.com. It's interesting
> that the message was sent to me and Teodor Sigaev. I recall,
> a year ago I got message from one russian developer about something like
> GiST for MySQL. He is the author of UdmSearch (MnogoSearch).

I can confirm that Nusphere still has a division in Russia, and they
need PostgreSQL assistance, perhaps for the replication part of
PeerDirect.

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:
> > Hmm, I suspect they have some developers here in Russia. At least full text
> > search resembles me MnogoSearch. Anyway, I'm not willing to work with them.
> > Postgres forever
> >

> Don't be too hasty. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd welcome an
> updated commercial native windows solution (When's SRA's port coming out
> in 1.0?) , especially if they'd be willing to provide a "diff" of the
> code back to the community. We might as well have someone get paid for
> work we will probably have to do anyways...

SRA's Windows port is up to 7.3.4, and I think they just released
version 1.1, so that is going fine --- and I have the source code to
use in our native Win32 port, just not the threading stuff.

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > Don't be too hasty. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd welcome an
> > updated commercial native windows solution (When's SRA's port coming out
> > in 1.0?) , especially if they'd be willing to provide a "diff" of the
> > code back to the community. We might as well have someone get paid for
> > work we will probably have to do anyways...
>
> I think a few things that Oleg needs to find out first is whether or not
> PeerDirect *will* feed it back to the community ... how much did they feed
> back of Jan's work?  Considering where win32 seems to be sitting, it
> doesn't seem like much ...

PeerDirect contributed the code, but neither they or Jan wanted to port
it up to current CVS, and that's were we/I got stuck.

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 13:11, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > > Don't be too hasty. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd welcome an
> > > updated commercial native windows solution (When's SRA's port coming out
> > > in 1.0?) , especially if they'd be willing to provide a "diff" of the
> > > code back to the community. We might as well have someone get paid for
> > > work we will probably have to do anyways...
> >
> > I think a few things that Oleg needs to find out first is whether or not
> > PeerDirect *will* feed it back to the community ... how much did they feed
> > back of Jan's work?  Considering where win32 seems to be sitting, it
> > doesn't seem like much ...
>
> PeerDirect contributed the code, but neither they or Jan wanted to port
> it up to current CVS, and that's were we/I got stuck.

So it would be a boon for them to pay someone to bring it up to date
(assuming they would donate it back to the community).

> SRA's Windows port is up to 7.3.4, and I think they just released
> version 1.1, so that is going fine --- and I have the source code to
> use in our native Win32 port, just not the threading stuff.

And if I've paid attention, the threading bits are what SRA used to get
around the fork/exec issues?

Incidentally I don't recall any announcements from SRA that they were
past the beta development phase with their version, seems like that
could have gotten some mention on the main postgresql site.

Robert Treat

Re: NuSphere and PostgreSQL for windows

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Robert Treat wrote:

> > > I think a few things that Oleg needs to find out first is whether or not
> > > PeerDirect *will* feed it back to the community ... how much did they feed
> > > back of Jan's work?  Considering where win32 seems to be sitting, it
> > > doesn't seem like much ...
> >
> > PeerDirect contributed the code, but neither they or Jan wanted to port
> > it up to current CVS, and that's were we/I got stuck.
> >

> So it would be a boon for them to pay someone to bring it up to date
> (assuming they would donate it back to the community).
>

> > SRA's Windows port is up to 7.3.4, and I think they just released
> > version 1.1, so that is going fine --- and I have the source code to
> > use in our native Win32 port, just not the threading stuff.
>
> And if I've paid attention, the threading bits are what SRA used to get
> around the fork/exec issues?
>
> Incidentally I don't recall any announcements from SRA that they were
> past the beta development phase with their version, seems like that
> could have gotten some mention on the main postgresql site.

Here is SRA's News page, translated into English:

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/body/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fosb.sra.co.jp&submit=%83E%83F%83u%83y%81%5B%83W%96%7C%96%F3&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2&wb_co=excitejapan

(Babelfish has problems, so I used Excite.)  You can see the products
they have.  I will post something to the PostgreSQL events list.