Обсуждение: Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Tom, Marc, Sean, Josh, etc:

Well, here's some questions then, regarding choice of OS and mirror config:

1) Tom, are we encountering issues in configuration and maintenance of gForge
on BSD which we would not encounter on Linux?  Are there any of these which
are unresolved and/or will require re-config when we upgrade to 4.0?

2) Can we get a mirror which runs BSD on AMD64?  Or two?

3) Are any of us Linux guys prepared to deal with security updates, which are
much more of an issue on Linux?

4) How likely is it that this machine will be a candidate to be used as a
mirror of other resources, given that hub.org and others would need go "go
64" first?

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:

>Tom, Marc, Sean, Josh, etc:
>
>Well, here's some questions then, regarding choice of OS and mirror config:
>
>1) Tom, are we encountering issues in configuration and maintenance of gForge
>on BSD which we would not encounter on Linux?  Are there any of these which
>are unresolved and/or will require re-config when we upgrade to 4.0?
>
>2) Can we get a mirror which runs BSD on AMD64?  Or two?

Yes

>3) Are any of us Linux guys prepared to deal with security updates, which are
>much more of an issue on Linux?

I'm a big fan of Gentoo on the AMD64.  I'd be happy to be the primary
admin handling issues and updates if it were gentoo based.

Gavin

Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom, Marc, Sean, Josh, etc:
>
> Well, here's some questions then, regarding choice of OS and mirror config:
>
> 1) Tom, are we encountering issues in configuration and maintenance of gForge
> on BSD which we would not encounter on Linux?  Are there any of these which
> are unresolved and/or will require re-config when we upgrade to 4.0?

My more specific question would be, what is Gforge developed on. If it
is developed on Linux, it in general will run better on Linux. Of course
it "can" run on BSD or Solaris etc... but most likely the Linux
environment is taken for granted.

> 2) Can we get a mirror which runs BSD on AMD64?  Or two?

I will do BSD if we have to, if the community requests it but Linux is
obviously preferrable.

> 3) Are any of us Linux guys prepared to deal with security updates, which are
> much more of an issue on Linux?

On Linux it is easy. I have no problem with it. Considering we already
handle all of it via our managed service it would be a difficult thing.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., your source for PostgreSQL replication,
professional support, programming, managed services, shared

Вложения

Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

От
Tom Copeland
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 14:10, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom, Marc, Sean, Josh, etc:
>
> Well, here's some questions then, regarding choice of OS and mirror config:
>
> 1) Tom, are we encountering issues in configuration and maintenance of gForge
> on BSD which we would not encounter on Linux?  Are there any of these which
> are unresolved and/or will require re-config when we upgrade to 4.0?

Hm.  Well, just general "familiarity with the OS" issues.  The only
outstanding issue I had was the password thing which Marc & Sean cleared
up for me today.

As far as I know, GForge 4.0 should run fine on BSD... it's the same
software, just updates to various PHP bits...

Yours,

Tom

Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

От
Tom Copeland
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 14:31, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Well, here's some questions then, regarding choice of OS and mirror config:
> >
> > 1) Tom, are we encountering issues in configuration and maintenance of gForge
> > on BSD which we would not encounter on Linux?  Are there any of these which
> > are unresolved and/or will require re-config when we upgrade to 4.0?
>
> My more specific question would be, what is Gforge developed on. If it
> is developed on Linux, it in general will run better on Linux. Of course
> it "can" run on BSD or Solaris etc... but most likely the Linux
> environment is taken for granted.

I'm not sure what Tim Perdue uses, but I did a fair bit of GForge
development during 2003-2004 and all of it was on my Linux workstation.
Plus, http://rubyforge.org/ is running on Linux, so that's what I get
most of my practice with...

Yours,

Tom

Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

От
Sean Chittenden
Дата:
> Tom, Marc, Sean, Josh, etc:
>
> Well, here's some questions then, regarding choice of OS and mirror
> config:
>
> 1) Tom, are we encountering issues in configuration and maintenance of
> gForge
> on BSD which we would not encounter on Linux?  Are there any of these
> which
> are unresolved and/or will require re-config when we upgrade to 4.0?

No, the problems aren't BSD specific, they're just issues with
identifying what programs are needed to run gForge.

> 2) Can we get a mirror which runs BSD on AMD64?  Or two?

Yup.

> 4) How likely is it that this machine will be a candidate to be used
> as a
> mirror of other resources, given that hub.org and others would need go
> "go
> 64" first?

That's only an issue if we are sync'ing out binaries, but we should
only be sync'ing the data/HTML.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

От
Sean Chittenden
Дата:
>> Tom, Marc, Sean, Josh, etc:
>>
>> Well, here's some questions then, regarding choice of OS and mirror
>> config:
>>
>> 1) Tom, are we encountering issues in configuration and maintenance
>> of gForge
>> on BSD which we would not encounter on Linux?  Are there any of these
>> which
>> are unresolved and/or will require re-config when we upgrade to 4.0?
>
> Hm.  Well, just general "familiarity with the OS" issues.  The only
> outstanding issue I had was the password thing which Marc & Sean
> cleared
> up for me today.
>
> As far as I know, GForge 4.0 should run fine on BSD... it's the same
> software, just updates to various PHP bits...

Wait, gforge/rubyforge, etc., is all just a ball of PHP goo?  Can you
get me a package list of what's required to get this running?  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

От
Tom Copeland
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 15:20, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> Wait, gforge/rubyforge, etc., is all just a ball of PHP goo?  Can you
> get me a package list of what's required to get this running?  -sc

Yup, it's PHP, Mailman, Sendmail, PostgreSQL, cvsweb, CVS, jpgraph...
plus a bunch of cronjobs and whatnot.  I think there are Debian packages
out there for it, but I've never used them...

Yours,

Tom

Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Tom Copeland wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 15:20, Sean Chittenden wrote:
>
>>Wait, gforge/rubyforge, etc., is all just a ball of PHP goo?  Can you
>>get me a package list of what's required to get this running?  -sc
>
> Yup, it's PHP, Mailman, Sendmail, PostgreSQL, cvsweb, CVS, jpgraph...
> plus a bunch of cronjobs and whatnot.  I think there are Debian packages
> out there for it, but I've never used them...

Out of curiosity, do you know if it works well with any of the PHP
caching-compilers or accelerators?  i.e. Turck-mmcache?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
"One who sees the invisible can do the impossible."
  + Frank Gaines

Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

От
Tom Copeland
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 19:37, Justin Clift wrote:
> Out of curiosity, do you know if it works well with any of the PHP
> caching-compilers or accelerators?  i.e. Turck-mmcache?

I ran turck-mmcache on RubyForge for a while and it seemed to improve
performance... but then we got some new hardware and it became a moot
point.  If we start noticing httpd processes gobbling up lots of CPU,
it'd probably be a good thing to try.

Yours,

Tom

Re: [Gforge-admins] Moving the server?

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Justin Clift wrote:

> Tom Copeland wrote:
>> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 15:20, Sean Chittenden wrote:
>>
>>> Wait, gforge/rubyforge, etc., is all just a ball of PHP goo?  Can you get
>>> me a package list of what's required to get this running?  -sc
>>
>> Yup, it's PHP, Mailman, Sendmail, PostgreSQL, cvsweb, CVS, jpgraph...
>> plus a bunch of cronjobs and whatnot.  I think there are Debian packages
>> out there for it, but I've never used them...
>
> Out of curiosity, do you know if it works well with any of the PHP
> caching-compilers or accelerators?  i.e. Turck-mmcache?

its currently runing with turck-mmcache ...

----