Обсуждение: various spam

various spam

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
Hi,

I sent a different message to this list, but foolishly included the
message I was trying to target.  It's the emm-eye-five nonsense
originating from Usenet.  Is there some way for us to block that
completely, so it doesn't all have to be moderated?

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.    --J.D. Baldwin

Re: various spam

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:

Re: various spam

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: various spam

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 08:44:12AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Why not block it before it ever hits the lists?

I guess the problem is that it's not exactly spam, so you'd need an
AI engine to figure out what it was and block it.

It actually is, as near as I can tell, a bunch of people who are
convinced that emm-eye-five are out to get them.  The reason Usenet
became worthless is not just that October never came, but that the
metal hospitals all got hooked up to it.  Every nutbar freak in the
world thinks it's their holy duty to cross post to all of creation.

To add insult to injury, those who are opposed to this sort of
nonsense forge posts from the above people and cross-post _those_ all
over hell and creation.  This was a favourite tactic some years ago
by self-appointed guardians of Usenet.  The idea was that if you
pissed off the cabal enough, they'd take action of some unspecified
type which would solve the problem in a way that nobody was ever able
to quite explain.  It was never anything better than vigilantism, but
now it's just vandalism.

Anyway, I guess we'll just keep moderating and hope the failure to
get past moderation will cause the paranoid nutbars and their
antagonists to go somewhere else.  Some days I hate the Internet :)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.    --Philip Greenspun

Re: various spam

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 08:44:12AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Why not block it before it ever hits the lists?
>
> I guess the problem is that it's not exactly spam, so you'd need an
> AI engine to figure out what it was and block it.

Is there not some standard keywords within the post that we can block?
Or even a specific phrase? Or block the email addresses?

Joshua D. Drake

> It actually is, as near as I can tell, a bunch of people who are
> convinced that emm-eye-five are out to get them.  The reason Usenet
> became worthless is not just that October never came, but that the
> metal hospitals all got hooked up to it.  Every nutbar freak in the
> world thinks it's their holy duty to cross post to all of creation.
>
> To add insult to injury, those who are opposed to this sort of
> nonsense forge posts from the above people and cross-post _those_ all
> over hell and creation.  This was a favourite tactic some years ago
> by self-appointed guardians of Usenet.  The idea was that if you
> pissed off the cabal enough, they'd take action of some unspecified
> type which would solve the problem in a way that nobody was ever able
> to quite explain.  It was never anything better than vigilantism, but
> now it's just vandalism.
>
> Anyway, I guess we'll just keep moderating and hope the failure to
> get past moderation will cause the paranoid nutbars and their
> antagonists to go somewhere else.  Some days I hate the Internet :)

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: various spam

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: various spam

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 08:55:49AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Is there not some standard keywords within the post that we can block?

We're already getting sort of bitten by this; so I'd sort of prefer
not.  If these messages don't set off whatever antispam system we've
in place (and we must have one, because I don't see _that_ much spam
in the stuff I have to moderate), then I think the processing will be
too costly.

> Or even a specific phrase? Or block the email addresses?

I'll have a look at the email addresses and see if they're
consistent.  They're often forged, though.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.    --J.D. Baldwin

Re: various spam

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 08:55:49AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Is there not some standard keywords within the post that we can block?
>
> We're already getting sort of bitten by this; so I'd sort of prefer
> not.  If these messages don't set off whatever antispam system we've
> in place (and we must have one, because I don't see _that_ much spam
> in the stuff I have to moderate), then I think the processing will be
> too costly.

I don't think this is worth the trouble.  It took me 20 seconds to
reject the first 5 messages, and another 10 seconds to reject the
following 5.  And I didn't even care to check whether some of these were
already rejected by someone else (the replies from Majordomo told me
that some were), because it was pretty obvious that they were not valid
for these lists.

--
Alvaro Herrera                 http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/CTMLCN8V17R4
Management by consensus: I have decided; you concede.

Re: various spam

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Fri, Jun 08, 2007 at 12:15:51PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> I don't think this is worth the trouble.  It took me 20 seconds to
> reject the first 5 messages, and another 10 seconds to reject the
> following 5.

Right, I don't think it's that it's so much work now.  When I've been
in newsgroups where this started to happen, though, in short order
there were hundreds of these things.  They seem to be a DoS on
Usenet, because clueless people cross-post from all the other listed
groups.  That's mostly what I was worried about.  Anyway, we've
probably already spent more time discussing it than just dealing with
it will take :-/

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do sir?    --attr. John Maynard Keynes