Обсуждение: Code snippet hosting?

Code snippet hosting?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
People often post a function, a script, or a complex query that is
general enough to be worth keeping but perhaps not appropriate for
pgfoundry or the documentation.  MySQL has a code snippet service for
that: <http://forge.mysql.com/tools/>.  I think something like this
would be quite useful for PostgreSQL as well.  Perhaps the wiki could be
used for that; I'm not sure.

Ideas anyone?

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Mike Ellsworth
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> People often post a function, a script, or a complex query that is general
> enough to be worth keeping but perhaps not appropriate for pgfoundry or the
> documentation.  MySQL has a code snippet service for that:
> <http://forge.mysql.com/tools/>.  I think something like this would be quite
> useful for PostgreSQL as well.  Perhaps the wiki could be used for that; I'm
> not sure.
>
> Ideas anyone?

No ideas for implementation - but it would be a great service to the
community and a big + for Advocacy.

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Brendan Jurd
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:34 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> People often post a function, a script, or a complex query that is general
> enough to be worth keeping but perhaps not appropriate for pgfoundry or the
> documentation.  MySQL has a code snippet service for that:
> <http://forge.mysql.com/tools/>.  I think something like this would be quite
> useful for PostgreSQL as well.  Perhaps the wiki could be used for that; I'm
> not sure.

Cool idea.  With a little massaging the wiki could accomodate this ...
there are syntax highlighting plugins we could install to get the code
snippets looking nice.  Wouldn't be as fancy as the MySQL site you
linked, but it would do the job.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Brendan Jurd escribió:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:34 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > People often post a function, a script, or a complex query that is general
> > enough to be worth keeping but perhaps not appropriate for pgfoundry or the
> > documentation.  MySQL has a code snippet service for that:
> > <http://forge.mysql.com/tools/>.  I think something like this would be quite
> > useful for PostgreSQL as well.  Perhaps the wiki could be used for that; I'm
> > not sure.
>
> Cool idea.  With a little massaging the wiki could accomodate this ...
> there are syntax highlighting plugins we could install to get the code
> snippets looking nice.

+1

Just make sure there are appropriate category tags.

Maybe we should use a separate namespace for this?  Snippet: or
something like that ... not sure if this is a good idea.

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Brendan Jurd
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 2:31 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Just make sure there are appropriate category tags.

Indeed.  If we use categories properly, that gives us (for free) an
alphabetical index of all available snippets.

> Maybe we should use a separate namespace for this?  Snippet: or
> something like that ... not sure if this is a good idea.

I'm lukewarm about creating a namespace for it.  I reckon we could
just allow people to create pages for their snippets and if at some
future time we start getting into page name collisions, we cross that
bridge.  Another option, if the snippets start cluttering up the Main
namespace, is to make them subpages.

So, anybody got a useful code snippet they would like to volunteer as
a first test subject? =)  Failing that, we could write up the
Mandelbrot recursive query demo.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
"Gavin M. Roy"
Дата:
It wouldn't be hard for me to rebrand <a href="http://privatepaste.com">privatepaste.com</a> and add the few additional
class="gmail_quote"style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">People often post a function,
ascript, or a complex query that is general enough to be worth keeping but perhaps not appropriate for pgfoundry or the
documentation. MySQL has a code snippet service for that: <<a href="http://forge.mysql.com/tools/"
target="_blank">http://forge.mysql.com/tools/</a>>. I think something like this would be quite useful for PostgreSQL
href="http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www"target="_blank">http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-www</a><br

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Brendan Jurd escribió:

> So, anybody got a useful code snippet they would like to volunteer as
> a first test subject? =)  Failing that, we could write up the
> Mandelbrot recursive query demo.

I support the Mandelbrot query as the first snippet :-)

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
David Blewett
Дата:
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

>  I think something like this would be quite
> useful for PostgreSQL as well.  Perhaps the wiki could be used for that; I'm
> not sure.

Django has something like that [1]. Just a thought.

David Blewett

1. http://www.djangosnippets.org/about

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 11:45 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Brendan Jurd escribió:
>
> > So, anybody got a useful code snippet they would like to volunteer as
> > a first test subject? =)  Failing that, we could write up the
> > Mandelbrot recursive query demo.
>
> I support the Mandelbrot query as the first snippet :-)

Why wouldn't we just use the wiki for this?

Joshua D. Drake

> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake escribió:
> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 11:45 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Brendan Jurd escribió:
> >
> > > So, anybody got a useful code snippet they would like to volunteer as
> > > a first test subject? =)  Failing that, we could write up the
> > > Mandelbrot recursive query demo.
> >
> > I support the Mandelbrot query as the first snippet :-)
>
> Why wouldn't we just use the wiki for this?

Please go have some coffee and reread the thread :-)

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Brendan Jurd
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 11:45 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Brendan Jurd escribió:
>>
>> > So, anybody got a useful code snippet they would like to volunteer as
>> > a first test subject? =)  Failing that, we could write up the
>> > Mandelbrot recursive query demo.
>>
>> I support the Mandelbrot query as the first snippet :-)
>
> Why wouldn't we just use the wiki for this?

Um.  That's ... what we're talking about?

The conversation you're quoting was about which piece of code we might
use, to start playing with a wiki implementation.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 02:55 +1100, Brendan Jurd wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 2:52 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> >> I support the Mandelbrot query as the first snippet :-)
> >
> > Why wouldn't we just use the wiki for this?
>
> Um.  That's ... what we're talking about?
>
> The conversation you're quoting was about which piece of code we might
> use, to start playing with a wiki implementation.

Oh. Well I think I will go do what Alvaro just suggested.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
> People often post a function, a script, or a complex query that is
> general enough to be worth keeping but perhaps not appropriate for
> pgfoundry or the documentation. MySQL has a code snippet service for
> that: <http://forge.mysql.com/tools/>. I think something like this would
> be quite useful for PostgreSQL as well. Perhaps the wiki could be used
> for that; I'm not sure.

Yeah, this was *supposed* to be a feature of GForge when we adopted it.  It wasn't until after we lit up GForge and
movedthe accounts over

from GBorg that Tim let me know that the snippets stuff didn't work and
he was planning on dumping it.

In theory also, Roberto Mello was going to come back a year ago and
re-build the function repository, but he never did.

So let's use whatever we can get up quickly.  If we're going to use a
wiki for this, though, can it be a separate wiki from
wiki.postgresql.org?  If I'm searching for a specific function, I don't
want to hit dozens of pages about database conversion and commitfests.

--Josh

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009, Brendan Jurd wrote:

> So, anybody got a useful code snippet they would like to volunteer as
> a first test subject?

The snippet I use the most is already on the Wiki in the admin section:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Disk_Usage

I was recently poking at the now defunct PostgreSQL CookBook:
http://web.archive.org/web/20031207045017/http://www.brasileiro.net/postgres/cookbook/

Two problems with grabbing a bunch of those:  the licensing is unclear for
code submissions to that old site, and not everything will still work
against a current release.

But it does suggest some useful categorization for organizing a collection
of snippets.

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 10:04 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> So let's use whatever we can get up quickly.  If we're going to use a
> wiki for this, though, can it be a separate wiki from
> wiki.postgresql.org?  If I'm searching for a specific function, I don't
> want to hit dozens of pages about database conversion and commitfests.

I disagree. I think we should keep it under the main wiki. Just create a
new section.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Дата:

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Selena Deckelmann

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:

> So let's use whatever we can get up quickly.  If we're going to use a
> wiki for this, though, can it be a separate wiki from
> wiki.postgresql.org?

Ugh, please no. We have too many domains and sites as it is: we should
be moving towards consolidation, not expansion.

+1

A nice format, with an easily distinguishable tag would be sweet.  Then we could publish a feed of the changes, and let people re-mix/re-format as they'd like.

Greg - could you make something based on the 'show highlighted code' example? That included a section for tags, and a description?

i.e. http://forge.mysql.com/tools/tool.php?id=85

If the wiki needs something to get the code snippets looking nice, etc.,
let me know, I've gotten pretty handy with MediaWiki lately. Speaking
of which, we should upgrade the wiki to a recent stable version (and upgrade
the PG backend as well)

+10 (I'm not volunteering to do it, however.)

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
Open Source Bridge - http://www.opensourcebridge.org

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Selena Deckelmann escribió:

> Greg - could you make something based on the 'show highlighted code'
> example? That included a section for tags, and a description?
>
> i.e. http://forge.mysql.com/tools/tool.php?id=85

This should be just a matter of installing a syntax highlighter
mediawiki extension, like enscript, GeSHi or ASHighlight

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Enscript
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SyntaxHighlight_GeSHi
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ASHighlight

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Thursday 19 March 2009 17:45:00 Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Brendan Jurd escribió:
> > So, anybody got a useful code snippet they would like to volunteer as
> > a first test subject? =)  Failing that, we could write up the
> > Mandelbrot recursive query demo.
>
> I support the Mandelbrot query as the first snippet :-)

Alright:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Snippets
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Snippets/Mandelbrot_set

Now someone install all the plugins to do the syntax highlighting on the
subpage and produce some kind of recently-added or most-often-viewed index on
the superpage.

Or scrap it if you have a better idea. ;-)

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 3/19/09 10:30 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 10:04 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> So let's use whatever we can get up quickly.  If we're going to use a
>> wiki for this, though, can it be a separate wiki from
>> wiki.postgresql.org?  If I'm searching for a specific function, I don't
>> want to hit dozens of pages about database conversion and commitfests.
>
> I disagree. I think we should keep it under the main wiki. Just create a
> new section.

Can you search just a section?

--Josh

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut escribió:

> Alright:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Snippets
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Snippets/Mandelbrot_set
>
> Now someone install all the plugins to do the syntax highlighting on the
> subpage and produce some kind of recently-added or most-often-viewed index on
> the superpage.

Okay, Stefan was kind enough to install the syntax highlighter
extension.  I gave it a try and it seems to work great -- thanks, Stefan.

I don't know how to create an index of subpages in the superpage, but I
added category tags so you can see the snippet index here:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:Snippets

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Brendan Jurd
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut escribió:
>
>> Alright:
>>
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Snippets
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Snippets/Mandelbrot_set
>>
> Okay, Stefan was kind enough to install the syntax highlighter
> extension.  I gave it a try and it seems to work great -- thanks, Stefan.

Nice.  It does a good job of highlighting the SQL.

I took the liberty of adding the results of the Mandelbrot query to
the page while I was there =)

We could also make a template for a snippet "infobox" that appears
floated to one side and shows some pertinent attributes of the
snippet, such as what language it's in and which version of Postgres
it works with, any dependencies, etc.

> I don't know how to create an index of subpages in the superpage, but I
> added category tags so you can see the snippet index here:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:Snippets

Probably relying on the category index is the right way to go ... the
superpage could just give an intro explaining what snippets are, and
maybe how to go about adding them, and link to the category page.

Cheers,
BJ

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Brendan Jurd escribió:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> We could also make a template for a snippet "infobox" that appears
> floated to one side and shows some pertinent attributes of the
> snippet, such as what language it's in and which version of Postgres
> it works with, any dependencies, etc.

+1 to that too!

(Note that I added a category tag for the language too.)

> > I don't know how to create an index of subpages in the superpage, but I
> > added category tags so you can see the snippet index here:
> > http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:Snippets
>
> Probably relying on the category index is the right way to go ... the
> superpage could just give an intro explaining what snippets are, and
> maybe how to go about adding them, and link to the category page.

Sounds good.

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut escribió:
>
>> Alright:
>>
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Snippets
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Snippets/Mandelbrot_set
>>
>> Now someone install all the plugins to do the syntax highlighting on the
>> subpage and produce some kind of recently-added or most-often-viewed index on
>> the superpage.
>
> Okay, Stefan was kind enough to install the syntax highlighter
> extension.  I gave it a try and it seems to work great -- thanks, Stefan.
>
> I don't know how to create an index of subpages in the superpage, but I
> added category tags so you can see the snippet index here:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Category:Snippets

Maybe the subpages approach isn't so great then, because the
alphabetical index in the category listing puts everything under "S" now.

I suggest that we keep /Snippets as a kind of info and index page, but
move the rest to the top level and rely on the category tag exlusively.

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Brendan Jurd
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Maybe the subpages approach isn't so great then, because the alphabetical
> index in the category listing puts everything under "S" now.
>
> I suggest that we keep /Snippets as a kind of info and index page, but move
> the rest to the top level and rely on the category tag exlusively.

+1

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Brendan Jurd escribió:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Maybe the subpages approach isn't so great then, because the alphabetical
> > index in the category listing puts everything under "S" now.
> >
> > I suggest that we keep /Snippets as a kind of info and index page, but move
> > the rest to the top level and rely on the category tag exlusively.
>
> +1

Done.

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:30:12AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Brendan Jurd escribió:
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > > Maybe the subpages approach isn't so great then, because the
> > > alphabetical index in the category listing puts everything under
> > > "S" now.
> > >
> > > I suggest that we keep /Snippets as a kind of info and index
> > > page, but move the rest to the top level and rely on the
> > > category tag exlusively.
> >
> > +1
>
> Done.

How do we add language categories?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
David Fetter escribió:

> How do we add language categories?

I just added some instructions in the snippets talk page.

Re: Code snippet hosting?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 06:21:56PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> David Fetter escribió:
>
> > How do we add language categories?
>
> I just added some instructions in the snippets talk page.

Thanks :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!