Обсуждение: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
   All my previous version upgrades were performed by running pg_dumpall in
the older version followed by running 'pgsql -f ...' to install the dumped
.sql file, usually because the upgrade jumped several versions. Now I'd like
to try the available postgres commands.

   The older version is installed in /var/lib/pgsql/9.5/data and I just
initiated the new version in /var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data. The earlier version is
currently running.

   Is pg_upgrade the recommended way to upgrade from one minor version to the
next? The 9.5 manual recommends this approach for _major_ upgrades (e.g.,
8.4.7 to 9.6.1), but not for _minor_ upgrades (e.g., 9.0.1 to 9.0.4). That's
a first digit upgrade and a third digit upgrade. Since 9.5.4 to 9.6.1 is a
second digit upgrade I suppose it's semi-major, but in which upgrade camp
does it belong?

   The command is:

pg_upgrade -b oldbindir -B newbindir -d olddatadir -D newdatadir

and I don't know where to find -b and -B. On my Slackware-14.1 server I have
/usr/bin/postgres and assume it is for the 9.5 release since that's running
and the 9.6 release is initiated but not invoked. The data directories are
easy but where do I look for the two bindirs?

TIA,

Rich

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 11/15/2016 2:37 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   All my previous version upgrades were performed by running
> pg_dumpall in
> the older version followed by running 'pgsql -f ...' to install the
> dumped
> .sql file, usually because the upgrade jumped several versions. Now
> I'd like
> to try the available postgres commands.
>
>   The older version is installed in /var/lib/pgsql/9.5/data and I just
> initiated the new version in /var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data. The earlier
> version is
> currently running.
>
>   Is pg_upgrade the recommended way to upgrade from one minor version
> to the
> next? The 9.5 manual recommends this approach for _major_ upgrades (e.g.,
> 8.4.7 to 9.6.1), but not for _minor_ upgrades (e.g., 9.0.1 to 9.0.4).
> That's
> a first digit upgrade and a third digit upgrade. Since 9.5.4 to 9.6.1
> is a
> second digit upgrade I suppose it's semi-major, but in which upgrade camp
> does it belong?

9.5 is considered a major version, 9.5.4 is a minor.    this will change
when 10 is released, from 10 on, major versions will be 10, 11, 12, ...

>   The command is:
>
> pg_upgrade -b oldbindir -B newbindir -d olddatadir -D newdatadir
>
> and I don't know where to find -b and -B. On my Slackware-14.1 server
> I have
> /usr/bin/postgres and assume it is for the 9.5 release since that's
> running
> and the 9.6 release is initiated but not invoked. The data directories
> are
> easy but where do I look for the two bindirs?

based on the data paths you gave, I'm guessing you're on a
redhat/centos/fedora type distribution?   those put the binaries in
/usr/pgsql-X.Y/bin for version X.Y

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/15/2016 02:37 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   All my previous version upgrades were performed by running pg_dumpall in
> the older version followed by running 'pgsql -f ...' to install the dumped
> .sql file, usually because the upgrade jumped several versions. Now I'd
> like
> to try the available postgres commands.
>
>   The older version is installed in /var/lib/pgsql/9.5/data and I just
> initiated the new version in /var/lib/pgsql/9.6/data. The earlier
> version is
> currently running.
>
>   Is pg_upgrade the recommended way to upgrade from one minor version to
> the
> next? The 9.5 manual recommends this approach for _major_ upgrades (e.g.,
> 8.4.7 to 9.6.1), but not for _minor_ upgrades (e.g., 9.0.1 to 9.0.4).
> That's
> a first digit upgrade and a third digit upgrade. Since 9.5.4 to 9.6.1 is a
> second digit upgrade I suppose it's semi-major, but in which upgrade camp
> does it belong?
>
>   The command is:
>
> pg_upgrade -b oldbindir -B newbindir -d olddatadir -D newdatadir
>
> and I don't know where to find -b and -B. On my Slackware-14.1 server I
> have
> /usr/bin/postgres and assume it is for the 9.5 release since that's running
> and the 9.6 release is initiated but not invoked. The data directories are
> easy but where do I look for the two bindirs?

Assuming the bindirs are in your $PATH:

aklaver@panda:~> whereis -f pg_ctl
pg_ctl: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl /usr/local/pgsql94/bin/pg_ctl

Even if only one is the $PATH:

aklaver@panda:~> whereis -f pg_ctl
pg_ctl: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl

you can usually figure out where the other is.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, John R Pierce wrote:

> 9.5 is considered a major version, 9.5.4 is a minor.    this will change
> when 10 is released, from 10 on, major versions will be 10, 11, 12, ...

John,

   So the upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1 is as I assumed: major.

> based on the data paths you gave, I'm guessing you're on a
> redhat/centos/fedora type distribution? those put the binaries in
> /usr/pgsql-X.Y/bin for version X.Y

   Actually, slackware. No /usr/pgsql-x/ at all. Slackware binaries (and
packages such as postgres provided by SlackBuilds.org are all installed in
/bin/. There are no /bin directories associated with postgres.

   So, I'll go the pg_dumpall route then.

Thanks very much,

Rich

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 11/15/2016 4:55 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
where do I look for the two bindirs?

Assuming the bindirs are in your $PATH:

aklaver@panda:~> whereis -f pg_ctl
pg_ctl: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl /usr/local/pgsql94/bin/pg_ctl

Even if only one is the $PATH:

aklaver@panda:~> whereis -f pg_ctl
pg_ctl: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl

you can usually figure out where the other is.

the RHEL style distributions don't put the actual bin dirs in the path, rather, they put symlinks to the common user utilities in /usr/bin managed via a system known as 'alternates'.

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> Assuming the bindirs are in your $PATH:
>
> aklaver@panda:~> whereis -f pg_ctl

Adrian,

   In my case:

$ whereis -f pg_ctl
pg_ctl: /bin/pg_ctl /usr/bin/pg_ctl /usr/X11R6/bin/pg_ctl
/usr/bin/X11/pg_ctl /usr/X11/bin/pg_ctl /usr/man/man1/pg_ctl.1
/usr/man/man1/pg_ctl.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1/pg_ctl.1
/usr/share/man/man1/pg_ctl.1.gz /usr/X11/man/man1/pg_ctl.1
/usr/X11/man/man1/pg_ctl.1.gz

> Even if only one is the $PATH:

> you can usually figure out where the other is.

   I suppose if I knew which version is in each of those directories it would
make life easier.

   Currently, only 9.5.4 is running; 9.6.1 is installed and initiated but not
running. When I invoke 'psql -l' I see the clusters installed in 9.5.4.

   Will use pg_dumpall and pg_restore ... tomorrow morning.

Thanks very much,

Rich

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/15/2016 05:01 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 11/15/2016 4:55 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>>> where do I look for the two bindirs?
>>
>> Assuming the bindirs are in your $PATH:
>>
>> aklaver@panda:~> whereis -f pg_ctl
>> pg_ctl: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl /usr/local/pgsql94/bin/pg_ctl
>>
>> Even if only one is the $PATH:
>>
>> aklaver@panda:~> whereis -f pg_ctl
>> pg_ctl: /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl
>>
>> you can usually figure out where the other is.
>
> the RHEL style distributions don't put the actual bin dirs in the path,
> rather, they put symlinks to the common user utilities in /usr/bin
> managed via a system known as 'alternates'.

Rich is using Slackware and I am pretty sure it marches to a different
drummer.

http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php?faq=installation#2

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> Rich is using Slackware and I am pretty sure it marches to a different
> drummer.

Adrian,

   And a different band. Pat likes MariaDB which replaced MySQL so PostgreSQL
is not part of the base distribution. But, SlackBuilds.org provides a build
script that's worked for me since some early version 7 of postgres.

Regards,

Rich

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/15/2016 05:06 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> Assuming the bindirs are in your $PATH:
>>
>> aklaver@panda:~> whereis -f pg_ctl
>
> Adrian,
>
>   In my case:
>
> $ whereis -f pg_ctl
> pg_ctl: /bin/pg_ctl /usr/bin/pg_ctl /usr/X11R6/bin/pg_ctl
> /usr/bin/X11/pg_ctl /usr/X11/bin/pg_ctl /usr/man/man1/pg_ctl.1
> /usr/man/man1/pg_ctl.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1/pg_ctl.1
> /usr/share/man/man1/pg_ctl.1.gz /usr/X11/man/man1/pg_ctl.1
> /usr/X11/man/man1/pg_ctl.1.gz

So what do you get with

/usr/bin/pg_ctl --version

and given John's suggestion:

ls -al /usr/bin/pg_ctl

>> Even if only one is the $PATH:
>
>> you can usually figure out where the other is.
>
>   I suppose if I knew which version is in each of those directories it
> would
> make life easier.
>
>   Currently, only 9.5.4 is running; 9.6.1 is installed and initiated but
> not
> running. When I invoke 'psql -l' I see the clusters installed in 9.5.4.

So how are you going to start the 9.6 instance?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/15/2016 05:18 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> Rich is using Slackware and I am pretty sure it marches to a different
>> drummer.
>
> Adrian,
>
>   And a different band. Pat likes MariaDB which replaced MySQL so
> PostgreSQL
> is not part of the base distribution. But, SlackBuilds.org provides a build
> script that's worked for me since some early version 7 of postgres.

Aah, so the answer is here:

https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.2/system/postgresql/README.SBo

"A few hints for PostgreSQL 9.5 -> 9.6 upgrade:
"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 11/15/2016 05:18 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> Rich is using Slackware and I am pretty sure it marches to a different
>> drummer.
>
> Adrian,
>
>   And a different band. Pat likes MariaDB which replaced MySQL so
> PostgreSQL
> is not part of the base distribution. But, SlackBuilds.org provides a build
> script that's worked for me since some early version 7 of postgres.

To add to my previous post. If you do decide to follow the pg_upgrade
procedure in the README do a pg_dump of the 9.5 data just before you do
pg_ugrade and store it away in a safe place. The first time through a
new process does not always end well:)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> So what do you get with
> /usr/bin/pg_ctl --version

   Interesting:

$ /usr/bin/pg_ctl --version
pg_ctl (PostgreSQL) 9.6.1

> and given John's suggestion:
> ls -al /usr/bin/pg_ctl

ls -al /usr/bin/pg_ctl
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Nov 15 14:16 /usr/bin/pg_ctl ->
../lib/postgresql/9.6/bin/pg_ctl*

    Aha! That's where the bin/ directories are. There's a 9.3.4/ and 9.5/
subdirectory there, too.

   Will do a pg_dumpall and then run pg_upgrade.

Thanks, both of you. I learned valuable lessons,

Rich

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, Rich Shepard wrote:

> $ /usr/bin/pg_ctl --version
> pg_ctl (PostgreSQL) 9.6.1
>
> ls -al /usr/bin/pg_ctl
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32 Nov 15 14:16 /usr/bin/pg_ctl ->
> ../lib/postgresql/9.6/bin/pg_ctl*

   To increase my understanding I want to resolve an apparent discrepancy in
versions.

   After installing and initiating 9.6.1 that's reported as the current
running version, yet I've not yet migrated the cluster from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1.

   Last week, after a kernel upgrade, I rebooted the system and re-started
postgres pointing to the 9.5/data/ directory. When I enter the command
'psql -l' I see all the databases and assumed they running on 9.5.4. But
that's not the case, is it?

   If 9.6.1 is currently running after running initdb, and I can access my
databases, what does pg_upgrade do that's necessary?

A curious mind wants to learn,

Rich

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Alban Hertroys
Дата:
On 16 November 2016 at 16:33, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   If 9.6.1 is currently running after running initdb, and I can access my
> databases, what does pg_upgrade do that's necessary?

pg_upgrade migrates your databases from your old (9.5) cluster to the
new (9.6) one. Initdb doesn't do that.

If your 9.6 database does indeed contain your databases, then
something must have done the pg_upgrade for you. Perhaps the slackware
package script does something like that, but that would cause problems
for people who do _not_ want to migrate their databases, so I doubt
that's what happened.

What I think what happened is that you are using the new pg 9.6 psql
binary to list the databases in your old 9.5 cluster.

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016, Alban Hertroys wrote:

> pg_upgrade migrates your databases from your old (9.5) cluster to the
> new (9.6) one. Initdb doesn't do that.

Alban,

   That's what I assumed to be the case.

> If your 9.6 database does indeed contain your databases, then something
> must have done the pg_upgrade for you. Perhaps the slackware package
> script does something like that,

   No, it only builds the package. I manually install it and run initdb.

> What I think what happened is that you are using the new pg 9.6 psql
> binary to list the databases in your old 9.5 cluster.

   Not only list them, but access them from the command line. This is what
I'm trying to understand.

   Regardless, I'll stop the running postgres, run pg_upgrade, then start it
from the /9.6/data/ directory.

Thanks,

Rich

Re: Upgrade from 9.5.4 to 9.6.1

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> To add to my previous post. If you do decide to follow the pg_upgrade
> procedure in the README do a pg_dump of the 9.5 data just before you do
> pg_ugrade and store it away in a safe place. The first time through a new
> process does not always end well:)

Adrian, et al.:

   Did a pg_dumpall and stored it with my database-backups. Now that I know
where to find the bin/ directories pg_upgrade ran flawlessly. Quick and
easy.

Thanks all,

Rich