Обсуждение: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

[GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
Where can I look to see (roughly) how much more RAM/CPU/disk needed when
moving from 8.4 and 9.2?

Thanks

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

Дата:
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> Where can I look to see (roughly) how much more RAM/CPU/disk needed when
> moving from 8.4 and 9.2?

It's entirely possible you'll need *less*, as you'll be absorbing the
benefit of several years' worth of performance improvements.  But this
is such a workload-dependent thing that there's no general answer.

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On 10/17/2017 11:17 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>> Where can I look to see (roughly) how much more RAM/CPU/disk needed when
>> moving from 8.4 and 9.2?
> It's entirely possible you'll need *less*, as you'll be absorbing the
> benefit of several years' worth of performance improvements.  But this
> is such a workload-dependent thing that there's no general answer.

XML stored in blobs (not sure whether text or bytea) and b-tree indexes.

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
"Igal @ Lucee.org"
Дата:
On 10/18/2017 6:24 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/17/2017 11:17 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
Where can I look to see (roughly) how much more RAM/CPU/disk needed when
moving from 8.4 and 9.2?
It's entirely possible you'll need *less*, as you'll be absorbing the
benefit of several years' worth of performance improvements.  But this
is such a workload-dependent thing that there's no general answer.

XML stored in blobs (not sure whether text or bytea) and b-tree indexes.

A bit off-topic here, but why upgrade to 9.6 when you can upgrade to 10.0?

Obviously you're not one to upgrade often so shouldn't you take advantage of all of the new features and improvements when "finally" (to use your own word) upgrading?

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Achilleas Mantzios
Дата:
On 18/10/2017 17:34, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
On 10/18/2017 6:24 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/17/2017 11:17 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
Where can I look to see (roughly) how much more RAM/CPU/disk needed when
moving from 8.4 and 9.2?
It's entirely possible you'll need *less*, as you'll be absorbing the
benefit of several years' worth of performance improvements.  But this
is such a workload-dependent thing that there's no general answer.

XML stored in blobs (not sure whether text or bytea) and b-tree indexes.

A bit off-topic here, but why upgrade to 9.6 when you can upgrade to 10.0?

Had the same question, we are moving from 9.3 -> 10.0 near the start of summer (I hope).
10.0's pg_upgrade supports 8.4 . One reason to upgrade in smaller steps is maybe to grasp the new changes / features better?

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On 10/18/2017 09:34 AM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
On 10/18/2017 6:24 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/17/2017 11:17 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
Where can I look to see (roughly) how much more RAM/CPU/disk needed when
moving from 8.4 and 9.2?
It's entirely possible you'll need *less*, as you'll be absorbing the
benefit of several years' worth of performance improvements.  But this
is such a workload-dependent thing that there's no general answer.

XML stored in blobs (not sure whether text or bytea) and b-tree indexes.

A bit off-topic here, but why upgrade to 9.6 when you can upgrade to 10.0?

Obviously you're not one to upgrade often so shouldn't you take advantage of all of the new features and improvements when "finally" (to use your own word) upgrading?

There's no way we're going to put an x.0.0 version into production.

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
"Igal @ Lucee.org"
Дата:
On 10/18/2017 7:45 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/18/2017 09:34 AM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
A bit off-topic here, but why upgrade to 9.6 when you can upgrade to 10.0?

There's no way we're going to put an x.0.0 version into production.

Then think of it as 9.7.0 but with an easier name to pronounce ;)

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 8:16 AM, Igal @ Lucee.org <igal@lucee.org> wrote:
On 10/18/2017 7:45 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 10/18/2017 09:34 AM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
A bit off-topic here, but why upgrade to 9.6 when you can upgrade to 10.0?

There's no way we're going to put an x.0.0 version into production.

Then think of it as 9.7.0 but with an easier name to pronounce ;)

The OP likely intended to say "x.0" version; which a "[9.7].0" version is just the same as a [10].0 version

The contributors do an excellent job but the reality of this community is that a critical mass of people do not start seriously testing and using a new version until it is officially released.  The first couple of bug-fix releases are thus, unfortunately, likely to be non-trivial as the masses flex the system at scales and using workloads that were not known or available to the developers.  Its a balancing act for most and falling on the side of waiting for a few point releases before promoting to production is, I suspect, common.

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On 10/18/2017 10:16 AM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
> On 10/18/2017 7:45 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 10/18/2017 09:34 AM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
>>> A bit off-topic here, but why upgrade to 9.6 when you can upgrade to 10.0?
>>
>> There's no way we're going to put an x.0.0 version into production.
>
> Then think of it as 9.7.0 but with an easier name to pronounce ;)

No .0 is going into production...

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Melvin Davidson

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 11:46 AM, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

I support the policy of using caution with regards to new versions. They are often thought of as "bleeding edge" for the reason described by David G Johnston. The fact that PostgreSQL 10 was only released this month is critical and therefore is should not be a production server. It should be used as development, or QA, at best.

--
Melvin Davidson

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 10/18/2017 08:49 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 10/18/2017 10:16 AM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
>>>
>>> There's no way we're going to put an x.0.0 version into production.
>>
>> Then think of it as 9.7.0 but with an easier name to pronounce ;)
>
> No .0 is going into production...

I am not sure why this is even a question. There are plenty of
businesses that can risk the deployment of a .0 release but there are
also *MANY THAT CAN NOT*. The proper way to do this is to have a staging
server running the .0 release that gets beaten on by the application for
a few months and reports anything back to the community they find.

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.us
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On 10/18/2017 08:49 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> Then think of it as 9.7.0 but with an easier name to pronounce ;)
>>

>> No .0 is going into production...
>>

> I am not sure why this is even a question. There are plenty of businesses
> that can risk the deployment of a .0 release but there are also *MANY THAT
> CAN NOT*. The proper way to do this is to have a staging server running the
> .0 release that gets beaten on by the application for a few months and
> reports anything back to the community they find.

In a past job I would routinely setup a slony slave running the new
version to check to make sure the new version wouldn't choke on the
data in the master etc, then start using it as a read slave after a
few months to make sure the app got along with it as a read only
source, then finally look at promoting it to master, with the option
to unpromote it should things explode. Minimal downtime for upgrades
AND a path back to the old version quickly if needed.

All while having setup dev and stage servers ahead of time to get
beaten on of course.

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Vik Fearing
Дата:
On 10/18/2017 05:57 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 11:46 AM, David G. Johnston
> <david.g.johnston@gmail.com <mailto:david.g.johnston@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     The contributors do an excellent job but the reality of this
>     community is that a critical mass of people do not start seriously
>     testing and using a new version until it is officially released.
>     The first couple of bug-fix releases are thus, unfortunately, likely
>     to be non-trivial as the masses flex the system at scales and using
>     workloads that were not known or available to the developers.  Its a
>     balancing act for most and falling on the side of waiting for a few
>     point releases before promoting to production is, I suspect, common.
>
> I support the policy of using caution with regards to new versions. They
> are often thought of as "bleeding edge" for the reason described by
> David G Johnston. The fact that PostgreSQL 10 was only released this
> month is critical and therefore is should not be a production server. It
> should be used as development, or QA, at best.

No, the Betas and RC should have been used in development and QA.
--
Vik Fearing                                          +33 6 46 75 15 36

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Don Seiler
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 10/18/2017 05:57 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> I support the policy of using caution with regards to new versions. They
> are often thought of as "bleeding edge" for the reason described by
> David G Johnston. The fact that PostgreSQL 10 was only released this
> month is critical and therefore is should not be a production server. It
> should be used as development, or QA, at best.

No, the Betas and RC should have been used in development and QA.

I disagree with this. It isn't my company's business to test the Postgres software in development, as much as it would be needed and appreciated by the community. We're testing our own applications and processes, and this should be done with a "stable" product, more or less. So I'd only ever think to have them use an official release versus a beta or release candidate.

That said, count me in the same camp with the "Never .0" folks. I'm planning a mass upgrade to 9.6 soon as well and the question was raised as to whether or not to go right to 10.0, and I quickly put that down. Oracle DBAs have a similar rule of thumb with anything less than .2 (Oracle starts at .1).

Don.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Wednesday, October 18, 2017, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
I am not sure why this is even a question. There are plenty of businesses that can risk the deployment of a .0 release but there are also *MANY THAT CAN NOT*. The proper way to do this is to have a staging server running the .0 release that gets beaten on by the application for a few months and reports anything back to the community they find.

The continuum goes from having a staging server follow master/HEAD to upgrading one version once a year as the earliest supported release gets de-supported.  The closer to the first position you are contributing back to the community and also the more quickly you can benefit from the new features and enhancements each new release brings.

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 10/18/2017 11:17 AM, Don Seiler wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Vik Fearing
> <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com <mailto:vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/18/2017 05:57 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
>     >
>     > I support the policy of using caution with regards to new versions. They
>     > are often thought of as "bleeding edge" for the reason described by
>     > David G Johnston. The fact that PostgreSQL 10 was only released this
>     > month is critical and therefore is should not be a production server. It
>     > should be used as development, or QA, at best.
>
>     No, the Betas and RC should have been used in development and QA.
>

> I disagree with this. It isn't my company's business to test the
> Postgres software in development, as much as it would be needed and
> appreciated by the community.

Exactly.

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.us
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Vik Fearing
Дата:
On 10/18/2017 08:17 PM, Don Seiler wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Vik Fearing
> <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com <mailto:vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/18/2017 05:57 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
>     >
>     > I support the policy of using caution with regards to new versions. They
>     > are often thought of as "bleeding edge" for the reason described by
>     > David G Johnston. The fact that PostgreSQL 10 was only released this
>     > month is critical and therefore is should not be a production server. It
>     > should be used as development, or QA, at best.
>
>     No, the Betas and RC should have been used in development and QA.
>

> I disagree with this. It isn't my company's business to test the
> Postgres software in development, as much as it would be needed and
> appreciated by the community.

Yeah, let others do it for you!  Great attitude.

> We're testing our own applications and
> processes, and this should be done with a "stable" product, more or
> less. So I'd only ever think to have them use an official release versus
> a beta or release candidate.

And how do you think the product becomes stable?  By magic?

> That said, count me in the same camp with the "Never .0" folks.

Yes, I gathered that.

> I'm planning a mass upgrade to 9.6 soon as well and the question was raised
> as to whether or not to go right to 10.0, and I quickly put that down.

Right, because when you say "official release versus a beta or release
candidate", you don't actually mean it.
--
Vik Fearing                                          +33 6 46 75 15 36

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Don Seiler
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 10/18/2017 08:17 PM, Don Seiler wrote:

> I disagree with this. It isn't my company's business to test the
> Postgres software in development, as much as it would be needed and
> appreciated by the community.

Yeah, let others do it for you!  Great attitude.

It's a realistic, practical attitude. I'm sorry that not every company wants to offer the resources to contribute back to the community as much as you want. But it's foolish to expect a company to perform their development lifecycle against betas and RCs. They have their own products to worry about. A gallant few may let their DBAs do some sandbox testing to contribute time back to the community, but you can't expect them to.

> I'm planning a mass upgrade to 9.6 soon as well and the question was raised
> as to whether or not to go right to 10.0, and I quickly put that down.

Right, because when you say "official release versus a beta or release
candidate", you don't actually mean it.

I don't even know what you mean here. You're responding like I ran over your dog and it's quite ridiculous.

Plain and simple, I wouldn't expect any DBA responsible for production databases to run on a new major release, regardless of platform/vendor. It's asking for a headache and maybe a few noisy pager nights. It doesn't matter how much faith I have in the Postgres contributors/developers, I have a responsibility to my employer to keep their database platforms up and running. That is first and foremost. I'm sure if I found myself with time to spare, I'll test upgrading a prod clone to 10 and asking some devs to run it through its paces, but spare time is a luxury that you can't just expect people to have.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Don Seiler <don@seiler.us> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 10/18/2017 08:17 PM, Don Seiler wrote:

> I disagree with this. It isn't my company's business to test the
> Postgres software in development, as much as it would be needed and
> appreciated by the community.

Yeah, let others do it for you!  Great attitude.

It's a realistic, practical attitude. I'm sorry that not every company wants to offer the resources to contribute back to the community as much as you want. But it's foolish to expect a company to perform their development lifecycle against betas and RCs. They have their own products to worry about. A gallant few may let their DBAs do some sandbox testing to contribute time back to the community, but you can't expect them to.

​Both sides have made their point here - any more opinions or justifications are going to just end up devolving into commentary that is unacceptable on these lists.​  The community benefits from people who do more than just run production servers while the business world has limited resources to do not directly business related activities.  I feel that those familiar with those dynamics are not surprised that someone would choose to upgrade to 9.6.5 now since the 10.x series is still .0

If someone wants to espouse the business benefits of running pre-release versions in staging environments against stable business code please start a new thread focused on the "process" and not the "people".

David J.

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
On 18 October 2017 at 17:17, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 10/18/2017 08:17 PM, Don Seiler wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Vik Fearing
>> <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com <mailto:vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 10/18/2017 05:57 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
>>     >
>>     > I support the policy of using caution with regards to new versions. They
>>     > are often thought of as "bleeding edge" for the reason described by
>>     > David G Johnston. The fact that PostgreSQL 10 was only released this
>>     > month is critical and therefore is should not be a production server. It
>>     > should be used as development, or QA, at best.
>>
>>     No, the Betas and RC should have been used in development and QA.
>>
>> I disagree with this. It isn't my company's business to test the
>> Postgres software in development, as much as it would be needed and
>> appreciated by the community.
>
> Yeah, let others do it for you!  Great attitude.

We need *some* people doing this; I don't think beating people up for
not being "beta testers" is terribly friendly.

The one thing I'd want to poke at is "don't avoid 10.0 simply because of
there being a 0 there."

If someone would have declined to use 9.7.0, considering that "too beta,"
then it's reasonable to decline 10.0, as that is a reasonably similar policy.

On the other hand, if you'd have accepted 9.7.0, and are declining
10.0.0 just "because too many 0's", that's not so right, and I'd want
to encourage considering it.

>> We're testing our own applications and
>> processes, and this should be done with a "stable" product, more or
>> less. So I'd only ever think to have them use an official release versus
>> a beta or release candidate.
>
> And how do you think the product becomes stable?  By magic?
>
>> That said, count me in the same camp with the "Never .0" folks.
>
> Yes, I gathered that.
>
>> I'm planning a mass upgrade to 9.6 soon as well and the question was raised
>> as to whether or not to go right to 10.0, and I quickly put that down.
>
> Right, because when you say "official release versus a beta or release
> candidate", you don't actually mean it.

I'm inclined to wait a bit on 10.0, not because I expect it to be
particularly problematic, but because it's fairly reasonable to expect
other things to not be ready instantaneously.  And that includes some
things one might reasonably hope for.

- We have a Slony release that supports 10.0, but were there to be some lag, some people might be inclined to wait for
that.

- The same applies to any number of interesting third party applications or libraries.

- Might want to wait until binaries are included in Debian Stable or some favored Red Hat or CentOS release or such.

There's plenty of reasonable arguments for waiting a bit.

I'd contend that "otta be running 10.0 in Dev/QA" isn't so
obviously apropos.  I tend to have my workstation running
"bleeding edge" versions of things so that I notice
sharp edges early, but what we always want to have most
folks running are the *same* versions in Dev+QA+Prod,
so that there aren't unexpected differences.

Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От
Gavin Flower
Дата:
On 19/10/17 10:34, Don Seiler wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Vik Fearing
> <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com <mailto:vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/18/2017 08:17 PM, Don Seiler wrote:
>
>     > I disagree with this. It isn't my company's business to test the
>     > Postgres software in development, as much as it would be needed and
>     > appreciated by the community.
>
>     Yeah, let others do it for you!  Great attitude.
>

> It's a realistic, practical attitude. I'm sorry that not every company
> wants to offer the resources to contribute back to the community as
> much as you want. But it's foolish to expect a company to perform
> their development lifecycle against betas and RCs. They have their own
> products to worry about. A gallant few may let their DBAs do some
> sandbox testing to contribute time back to the community, but you
> can't expect them to.
Actually that attitude is short sighted, as your company might trigger
problems no one else has (or at least not prepared to report bugs on).
Surely you want such bugs fixed BEFORE you use pg in production???

It is also likely to take time to know how best to use the changes in a
newer version of pg for your database in your operational environment.

So it is in the best self interests of your company to to test
development versions of pg prior to final release.  Helping others, in
this context, is a more sophisticated form of selfishness than you
display at the moment.

Cheers,
Gavin