Обсуждение: Remaining calls of heap_close/heap_open in the tree

Remaining calls of heap_close/heap_open in the tree

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
Hi all,

I have just bumped into $subject, and we now use the table_*
equivalents in the code.  Any objections to the simple patch attached
to clean up that?

Thanks,
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Remaining calls of heap_close/heap_open in the tree

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2019-10-17 10:47:06 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I have just bumped into $subject, and we now use the table_*
> equivalents in the code.  Any objections to the simple patch attached
> to clean up that?

They're not really "remaining", as much as having been introduced after
the introduction of table_open()/close()...

Wonder if it's worth removing the backward compat ones from master? I
don't quite think so, but...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Remaining calls of heap_close/heap_open in the tree

Дата:
>> I have just bumped into $subject, and we now use the table_*
>> equivalents in the code.  Any objections to the simple patch attached
>> to clean up that?

> They're not really "remaining", as much as having been introduced after
> the introduction of table_open()/close()...

> Wonder if it's worth removing the backward compat ones from master? I
> don't quite think so, but...

If we don't remove 'em, we'll keep getting new calls from patches that
haven't been updated.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Remaining calls of heap_close/heap_open in the tree

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 01:04:50AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Wonder if it's worth removing the backward compat ones from master? I
> don't quite think so, but...

I would vote for the removal so as we'll never see that again in
core.  Let's see what others think here.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Remaining calls of heap_close/heap_open in the tree

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On 2019-Oct-17, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 01:04:50AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Wonder if it's worth removing the backward compat ones from master? I
> > don't quite think so, but...
>
> I would vote for the removal so as we'll never see that again in
> core.  Let's see what others think here.

Agreed.  There are enough other API changes that if an external
extension wants to keep using heap_* in their code, they can add their
own defines anyway.

Re: Remaining calls of heap_close/heap_open in the tree

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2019-10-17 06:58:27 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2019-Oct-17, Michael Paquier wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 01:04:50AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > > Wonder if it's worth removing the backward compat ones from master? I
> > > don't quite think so, but...
> >
> > I would vote for the removal so as we'll never see that again in
> > core.  Let's see what others think here.
>
> Agreed.  There are enough other API changes that if an external
> extension wants to keep using heap_* in their code, they can add their
> own defines anyway.

There's plenty extensions that essentially only need to change
heap_open/close to table_open/close between 11 and 12. And it's
especially the simpler ones where that's the case.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Remaining calls of heap_close/heap_open in the tree

От
ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
Дата:

> Hi,

>> > I would vote for the removal so as we'll never see that again in
>> > core.  Let's see what others think here.
>>
>> Agreed.  There are enough other API changes that if an external
>> extension wants to keep using heap_* in their code, they can add their
>> own defines anyway.
>
> There's plenty extensions that essentially only need to change
> heap_open/close to table_open/close between 11 and 12. And it's
> especially the simpler ones where that's the case.

Would it be possible to wrap them in some #if(n)def guard so that
they're available when building out-of-tree extensions, but not when
building postgres itself?

- ilmari
--
- Twitter seems more influential [than blogs] in the 'gets reported in
  the mainstream press' sense at least.               - Matt McLeod

Re: Remaining calls of heap_close/heap_open in the tree

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:34:44PM +0100, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
> Would it be possible to wrap them in some #if(n)def guard so that
> they're available when building out-of-tree extensions, but not when
> building postgres itself?

Not sure that's worth the trouble.  If there are no objections, I will
remove the compatibility macros.
--
Michael

Вложения

Re: Remaining calls of heap_close/heap_open in the tree

От
Michael Paquier
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 10:03:11AM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Not sure that's worth the trouble.  If there are no objections, I will
> remove the compatibility macros.

Okay, cleanup done with the compatibility macros removed.
--
Michael

Вложения