Обсуждение: Conditional return of aggregated data

Conditional return of aggregated data

От
Laura Smith
Дата:
Hi,

I have some aggregated statistics which are currently being queried as follows:

create view stats_age as
SELECT a.category,
       a.statcount,
       b.a_desc
FROM reg_aggregated_stats a,regs_select_age b where a.category='age' and a.datapoint::smallint=b.a_val order by
a.datapointasc;

However, as these relate to event registrations, a suggestion has been made that the database really should be
returningnothing until a certain number of registrations has been met (in order to avoid privacy infringing inferrence
fromwhat should be an otherwise fully irreversibly aggregated dataset).

Now, the queries are wrapped in PL/PGSQL functions anyway, so I could make a second call to Postgres to find out
sum(statcount)and then conditionally return based on that.

But is there a smarter way to do this out of a single SQL query ?

My initial idea was something along the lines of :
 select (select sum(statcount) from stats_residence) as aggstat,statcount,short_name_en from stats_residence where
aggstat>some_number;

But as I soon discovered that's not valid syntax! Hence ideas welcome from those smarter than me.

Thanks !

Laura

Re: Conditional return of aggregated data

От
Wim Bertels
Дата:
Hallo Laura,

i don't know if i understand your question fully,
but this might be helpfull?: FILTER

SELECT
    count(*) AS unfiltered,
    count(*) FILTER (WHERE i < 5) AS filtered
FROM generate_series(1,10) AS s(i);
 unfiltered | filtered
------------+----------
         10 |        4
(1 row)

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-expressions.html

hth,
Wim

--
mvg,
Wim Bertels

Re: Conditional return of aggregated data

От
"Ravi Krishna"
Дата:
> My initial idea was something along the lines of :
>  select (select sum(statcount) from stats_residence) as aggstat,statcount,short_name_en from stats_residence where
aggstat>some_number;

Am I missing something basic.  The above can be done using
GROUP BY and HAVING clause.

Re: Conditional return of aggregated data

От
"Ravi Krishna"

> > My initial idea was something along the lines of :
> >  select (select sum(statcount) from stats_residence) as aggstat,statcount,short_name_en from stats_residence where
aggstat>some_number;

> Am I missing something basic.  The above can be done using
> GROUP BY and HAVING clause.
or this
with t as
(select (select sum(statcount) from stats_residence) as aggstat,
         statcount,short_name_en from stats_residence
)
select * from t where aggstat > some_number

Apology if I did not understand the question correctly.

Re: Conditional return of aggregated data

От
Laura Smith

> or this
> with t as
> (select (select sum(statcount) from stats_residence) as aggstat,
> statcount,short_name_en from stats_residence
> )
> select * from t where aggstat > some_number
>
> Apology if I did not understand the question correctly.

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for helping show me the way.  You're quite right, a CTE did the trick

Laura

Re: Conditional return of aggregated data

От
Alban Hertroys

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 at 12:11, Laura Smith <n5d9xq3ti233xiyif2vp@protonmail.ch> wrote:

My initial idea was something along the lines of :
 select (select sum(statcount) from stats_residence) as aggstat,statcount,short_name_en from stats_residence where aggstat>some_number;

One option is to move the aggregate to the where-clause. If you also need the value in your select-list, you can just repeat the subselect there, usually the planner is smart enough to figure out that it can just re-use the result.

select short_name_en from stats_residence where (select sum(statcount) from stats_residence) >some_number;