Обсуждение: pg_service.conf and client support

pg_service.conf and client support

От
Niels Jespersen

Hello all

I just found out about the pg service file. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-pgservice.html

I don’t know why it took me so long finding this. I have been looking for ways to abstract physical details of data location away for clients (much like Oracle’s tnsnames).

Want to move a cluster to a new host. Sure, move it, edit pg_service.conf and clients will not know the difference.

It works great for at least psql and psycopg2.

But I cannot find anything on pg_service.conf and the Postgres ODBC driver and Npgsql for .Net

I know pg_service.conf support is implemented through libpq and support for rivers not using libpq is not a given thing.

But I think the need for the abstraction of connection details is a general one.

Can anyone shed som light on the ubiquitousness of support for pg_service.conf?

Are there any other mechanisms with broader support, that can be used instead of pg_service.conf (if support is scarce beyond what builds on libpq)?

Thank you.

Regards Niels Jespersen

Re: pg_service.conf and client support

От
"David G. Johnston"
Дата:
On Saturday, June 13, 2020, Niels Jespersen <NJN@dst.dk> wrote:

Can anyone shed som light on the ubiquitousness of support for pg_service.conf?

AFAIK same non-support for JDBC and Node.js

Are there any other mechanisms with broader support, that can be used instead of pg_service.conf (if support is scarce beyond what builds on libpq)?

Not that I am aware, though programmatically accessed libraries are somewhat able to be adapted using custom wrappers so that the pg_service file contents can be leveraged.

David J.

Re: pg_service.conf and client support

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 6/13/20 10:03 PM, Niels Jespersen wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I just found out about the pg service file.
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-pgservice.html
>
> I don’t know why it took me so long finding this. I have been looking
> for ways to abstract physical details of data location away for clients
> (much like Oracle’s tnsnames).
>
> Want to move a cluster to a new host. Sure, move it, edit
> pg_service.conf and clients will not know the difference.
>
> It works great for at least psql and psycopg2.
>
> But I cannot find anything on pg_service.conf and the Postgres ODBC
> driver and Npgsql for .Net
>
> I know pg_service.conf support is implemented through libpq and support
> for rivers not using libpq is not a given thing.
>
> But I think the need for the abstraction of connection details is a
> general one.
>
> Can anyone shed som light on the ubiquitousness of support for
> pg_service.conf?
>
> Are there any other mechanisms with broader support, that can be used
> instead of pg_service.conf (if support is scarce beyond what builds on
> libpq)?

Only thing I know of is something like
pgbouncer(http://www.pgbouncer.org/) where you keep a constant
connection setting for the pooler and then change the settings for the
database(s) it connects to.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: pg_service.conf and client support

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Sun, 2020-06-14 at 05:03 +0000, Niels Jespersen wrote:
> I just found out about the pg service file. https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-pgservice.html
>
> I don’t know why it took me so long finding this. I have been looking for ways to abstract physical details of data
locationaway for clients (much like Oracle’s tnsnames).

> Want to move a cluster to a new host. Sure, move it, edit pg_service.conf and clients will not know the difference.
>
> It works great for at least psql and psycopg2.
>
> But I cannot find anything on pg_service.conf and the Postgres ODBC driver and Npgsql for .Net
>
> I know pg_service.conf support is implemented through libpq and support for rivers not using libpq is not a given
thing.

> But I think the need for the abstraction of connection details is a general one.
>
> Can anyone shed som light on the ubiquitousness of support for pg_service.conf?

You got it right: pg_service.conf is only used by libpq, so all clients that
use libpq automatically support it.  Other clients don't support it.

For your examples that means:
- The PostgreSQL ODBC server can use pg_service.conf
- NpgSQL cannot use the file.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

SV: pg_service.conf and client support

От
Niels Jespersen

On Sun, 2020-06-14 at 05:03 +0000, Niels Jespersen wrote:
> I just found out about the pg service file.
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-pgservice.html
>
> I don’t know why it took me so long finding this. I have been looking for ways to abstract physical details of data
locationaway for clients (much like Oracle’s tnsnames).

> Want to move a cluster to a new host. Sure, move it, edit pg_service.conf and clients will not know the difference.
>
> It works great for at least psql and psycopg2.
>
> But I cannot find anything on pg_service.conf and the Postgres ODBC
> driver and Npgsql for .Net
>
> I know pg_service.conf support is implemented through libpq and support for rivers not using libpq is not a given
thing.

> But I think the need for the abstraction of connection details is a general one.
>
> Can anyone shed som light on the ubiquitousness of support for pg_service.conf?

You got it right: pg_service.conf is only used by libpq, so all clients that use libpq automatically support it.  Other
clientsdon't support it.

For your examples that means:
- The PostgreSQL ODBC server can use pg_service.conf
- NpgSQL cannot use the file.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Thank you Laurenz

You mention that the PostgreSQL ODBC driver can use pg_service.conf. But I cannot find any examples om how to construct
aconnectionstring that PostgreSQL ODBC will accept?

Regards Niels

Re: SV: pg_service.conf and client support

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Mon, 2020-06-15 at 11:58 +0000, Niels Jespersen wrote:
> > For your examples that means:
> > - The PostgreSQL ODBC server can use pg_service.conf
> > - NpgSQL cannot use the file.
>
> You mention that the PostgreSQL ODBC driver can use pg_service.conf. But I cannot
> find any examples om how to construct a connectionstring that PostgreSQL ODBC will accept?

After looking at the code, I am no longer sure.

There doesn't seem to be a way to specify a general connection string.

You could try setting the environment variable PGSERVICE to specify
the service.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

SV: SV: pg_service.conf and client support

От
Niels Jespersen
On Mon, 2020-06-15 at 11:58 +0000, Niels Jespersen wrote:
> > For your examples that means:
> > - The PostgreSQL ODBC server can use pg_service.conf
> > - NpgSQL cannot use the file.
>
> You mention that the PostgreSQL ODBC driver can use pg_service.conf.
> But I cannot find any examples om how to construct a connectionstring that PostgreSQL ODBC will accept?

After looking at the code, I am no longer sure.

There doesn't seem to be a way to specify a general connection string.

You could try setting the environment variable PGSERVICE to specify the service.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

That is the way to do it. It works. Connectionstring

'Driver={PostgreSQL Unicode(x64)}'

And environment variables

PGSERVICEFILE and PGSERVICE

Will connect you. Thank you for helping with this.

Regards Niels