Обсуждение: PgAdmin cannot locate my server

PgAdmin cannot locate my server

От
John Scalia
Дата:
I’ve got something really weird going on. My laptop can easily find my PLE production (production like environment)
usinga normal nslookup, but PgAdmin emits an error saying could not translate host name “ple.mydomain.com” host to
address:Unknown host

So where is PgAdmin looking regarding DNS entries? I would think that if the laptop can find it, that any app running
onit should be able to do so.
—
Jay

Sent from my iPad6

Re: PgAdmin cannot locate my server

От
Erik Wienhold
Дата:
> On 17/04/2023 19:44 CEST John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve got something really weird going on. My laptop can easily find my PLE
> production (production like environment) using a normal nslookup, but PgAdmin
> emits an error saying could not translate host name “ple.mydomain.com” host to
> address: Unknown host
>
> So where is PgAdmin looking regarding DNS entries?

I can't find message "Unknown host" in the pgAdmin source.  I'd have to check
but I assume pgAdmin delegates all connection management to psycopg.

> I would think that if the laptop can find it, that any app running on it
> should be able to do so.

How do you run pgAdmin?  From the top of my head there's the desktop version,
server version, and Docker container version.  In case of the server version
it's plausible that the server uses different DNS settings than your laptop.
Docker containers should inherit the DNS settings of the host but that can be
changed as well.

--
Erik

PgAdmin cannot locate my server

От
"Wetmore, Matthew (CTR)"
Дата:
I'm assuming this is windows.
I ran into this when PGAdmin is fine with qualified DNS hostname, but the pg_pass file couldn't resolve and needed
dottedquad.

The corporate-world structure of windows networking and permissions is a mystery to me...

Just use the dotted quad and move along! lol

From cmd:

nslookup < ple.mydomain.com >

pg_pass.conf
<IP.IP.IP.IP>:<port>:<db>:<User>:<PASSWORD>

I’ve got something really weird going on. My laptop can easily find my PLE production (production like environment)
usinga normal nslookup, but PgAdmin emits an error saying could not translate host name “ple.mydomain.com” host to
address:Unknown host

So where is PgAdmin looking regarding DNS entries? I would think that if the laptop can find it, that any app running
onit should be able to do so.

—
Jay

Sent from my iPad6

Re: PgAdmin cannot locate my server

От
John Scalia
Дата:
You are correct this problem was from windows and PgAdmin 4v6. At least that’s what my company calls it. The database
wasan AWS RDS version 12.4.

The eventual fix was even stranger. As an experiment I ran nslookup against the db. Then I reconfigured PgAdmin to
connectusing the db’s IP address. That all went quite well and I connected with the db. For grins, I reconfigured
PgAdminback to the db’s FQDN, and had it try a reconnection. Strangely enough it did connect and there were no issues.,
butthe only change here was the fact that I first connected using the IP adress.

Sent from my iPad