Обсуждение: Wrong security context for deferred triggers?

Wrong security context for deferred triggers?

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
Create a table and a deferrable constraint trigger:

 CREATE TABLE tab (i integer);

 CREATE FUNCTION trig() RETURNS trigger
    LANGUAGE plpgsql AS
 $$BEGIN
    RAISE NOTICE 'current_user = %', current_user;
    RETURN NEW;
 END;$$;

 CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER trig AFTER INSERT ON tab
    DEFERRABLE INITIALLY IMMEDIATE
    FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE FUNCTION trig();

Create a role and allow it INSERT on the table:

 CREATE ROLE duff;

 GRANT INSERT ON tab TO duff;

Now become that role and try some inserts:

 SET ROLE duff;

 BEGIN;

 INSERT INTO tab VALUES (1);
 NOTICE:  current_user = duff

That looks ok; the current user is "duff".

 SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED;

 INSERT INTO tab VALUES (2);

Become a superuser again and commit:

 RESET ROLE;

 COMMIT;
 NOTICE:  current_user = postgres

So a deferred constraint trigger does not run with the same security context
as an immediate trigger.  This is somewhat nasty in combination with
SECURITY DEFINER functions: if that function performs an operation, and that
operation triggers a deferred trigger, that trigger will run in the wrong
security context.

This behavior looks buggy to me.  What do you think?
I cannot imagine that it is a security problem, though.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Wrong security context for deferred triggers?

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Mon, 2023-11-06 at 14:23 +0100, Laurenz Albe wrote:
>  CREATE FUNCTION trig() RETURNS trigger
>     LANGUAGE plpgsql AS
>  $$BEGIN
>     RAISE NOTICE 'current_user = %', current_user;
>     RETURN NEW;
>  END;$$;
>
>  CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER trig AFTER INSERT ON tab
>     DEFERRABLE INITIALLY IMMEDIATE
>     FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE FUNCTION trig();
>
>  SET ROLE duff;
>
>  BEGIN;
>
>  INSERT INTO tab VALUES (1);
>  NOTICE:  current_user = duff
>
> That looks ok; the current user is "duff".
>
>  SET CONSTRAINTS ALL DEFERRED;
>
>  INSERT INTO tab VALUES (2);
>
> Become a superuser again and commit:
>
>  RESET ROLE;
>
>  COMMIT;
>  NOTICE:  current_user = postgres
>

> So a deferred constraint trigger does not run with the same security context
> as an immediate trigger.  This is somewhat nasty in combination with
> SECURITY DEFINER functions: if that function performs an operation, and that
> operation triggers a deferred trigger, that trigger will run in the wrong
> security context.
>
> This behavior looks buggy to me.  What do you think?
> I cannot imagine that it is a security problem, though.

I just realized one problem with running a deferred constraint trigger as
the triggering role: that role might have been dropped by the time the trigger
executes.  But then we could still error out.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Wrong security context for deferred triggers?

От
Isaac Morland
Дата:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2023 at 11:58, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:

> Become a superuser again and commit:
>
>  RESET ROLE;
>
>  COMMIT;
>  NOTICE:  current_user = postgres
>

> So a deferred constraint trigger does not run with the same security context
> as an immediate trigger.  This is somewhat nasty in combination with
> SECURITY DEFINER functions: if that function performs an operation, and that
> operation triggers a deferred trigger, that trigger will run in the wrong
> security context.
>
> This behavior looks buggy to me.  What do you think?
> I cannot imagine that it is a security problem, though.

This looks to me like another reason that triggers should run as the trigger owner. Which role owns the trigger won’t change as a result of constraints being deferred or not, or any role setting done during the transaction, including that relating to security definer functions.

Right now triggers can’t do anything that those who can INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE (i.e., cause the trigger to fire) can’t do, which in particular breaks the almost canonical example of using triggers to log changes — I can’t do it without also allowing users to make spurious log entries.

Also if I cause a trigger to fire, I’ve just given the trigger owner the opportunity to run arbitrary code as me.

I just realized one problem with running a deferred constraint trigger as
the triggering role: that role might have been dropped by the time the trigger
executes.  But then we could still error out.

This problem is also fixed by running triggers as their owners: there should be a dependency between an object and its owner. So the trigger-executing role can’t be dropped without dropping the trigger.

Re: Wrong security context for deferred triggers?

От
Tomas Vondra
Дата:
On 11/6/23 14:23, Laurenz Albe wrote:

> This behavior looks buggy to me.  What do you think?
> I cannot imagine that it is a security problem, though.

How could code getting executed under the wrong role not be a security
issue? Also, does this affect just the role, or are there some other
settings that may unexpectedly change (e.g. search_path)?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Wrong security context for deferred triggers?

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Mon, 2023-11-06 at 18:29 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 11/6/23 14:23, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > This behavior looks buggy to me.  What do you think?
> > I cannot imagine that it is a security problem, though.
>
> How could code getting executed under the wrong role not be a security
> issue? Also, does this affect just the role, or are there some other
> settings that may unexpectedly change (e.g. search_path)?

Perhaps it is a security issue, and I am just lacking imagination.

Yes, changes to "search_path" should also have an effect.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: Wrong security context for deferred triggers?

От
Laurenz Albe
Дата:
On Mon, 2023-11-06 at 18:29 +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 11/6/23 14:23, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > This behavior looks buggy to me.  What do you think?
> > I cannot imagine that it is a security problem, though.
>
> How could code getting executed under the wrong role not be a security
> issue? Also, does this affect just the role, or are there some other
> settings that may unexpectedly change (e.g. search_path)?

Here is a patch that fixes this problem by keeping track of the
current role in the AfterTriggerSharedData.

I have thought some more about the security aspects:

1. With the new code, you could call a SECURITY DEFINER function
   that modifies data on a table with a deferred trigger, then
   modify the trigger function before you commit and have your
   code run with elevated privileges.
   But I think that we need not worry about that.  If a
   superuser performs DML on a table that an untrusted user
   controls, all bets are off anyway.  The attacker might as
   well put the bad code into the trigger *before* calling the
   SECURITY DEFINER function.

2. The more serious concern is that the old code constitutes
   a narrow security hazard: a superuser could temporarily
   assume an unprivileged role to avoid risks while performing
   DML on a table controlled by an untrusted user, but for
   some reason resume being a superuser *before* COMMIT.
   Then a deferred trigger would inadvertently run with
   superuser privileges.

   That seems like a very unlikely scenario (who would RESET ROLE
   before committing in that situation?).  Moreover, it seems
   like the current buggy behavior has been in place for decades
   without anybody noticing.

   I am not against backpatching this (the fix is simple enough),
   but I am not convinced that it is necessary.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Вложения