Re: expected authentication request from server, but received H

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: expected authentication request from server, but received H
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2024-05-23 17:23:14 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Peter J. Holzer" <hjp-pgsql@hjp.at> writes:
> > One of our users reports getting the error message
> > "expected authentication request from server, but received H"
> > when trying to connect to the database.
>
> That's very bizarre, and I don't recall any similar reports in the
> recent past.
>
> > Server is PostgreSQL 15.7 (Ubuntu 15.7-1.pgdg22.04+1)
> > I haven't been able to find out what client version they are using yet,
> > but I suspect it's quite old.
>
> It would definitely be interesting to find out what the client-side
> code is, including the openssl version being used.

They have psqlODBC 9.3 and 13.2 on a 64-bit Windows platform (probably
Windows 10). The problem occurs with both. I tried to replicate it with
psqlODBC 13.0 and couldn't.

OpenSSL is bundled with psqlODBC, AFAICS. For 13.0 that would be 1.1.1.8
(hmm, that doesn't look like an OpenSSL version. Would that be 1.1.1h in
Linux terms?). But the fact that it happens with two very different
versions but I can't replicate it with one in between (and quite close
to one of them) makes it unlikely (IMHO) to be just version related.
There must be something else going on. I've asked them (their IT
department, not the user) to try to disable any anti-virus software.
That's a bit of a reach, but always a possibility if something behaves
weirdly on Windows.

        hp

От: Laurenz Albe
Сообщение: Re: Autovacuum endless loop in heap_page_prune()?
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: expected authentication request from server, but received H