Re: how to disable auto-completion

От Dave Page
Тема Re: how to disable auto-completion
Дата
Re: how to disable auto-completion  (Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com>)
Список pgadmin-support
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Michal Kozusznik
<kozusznik.michal@ifortuna.cz> wrote:
> On 29.11.2012 13:04, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Kozusznik Michal
>> <kozusznik.michal@ifortuna.cz> wrote:
>>>
>>> that's why i'm not asking for developing hotkeys settings support, but to
>>> add single checkbox is setings to disable this feature at all. It should be
>>> quick and easy.
>>
>> But what is different between your request, and someone who has
>> another app that uses F10 for something other than Step Into in the
>> debugger? We're not going to add the ability to disable a single hot
>> key on the request of one person I'm afraid. That leads to madness.
>

> Do not disable the single hotkey. Disable whole feature.
> Man, I'm programmer too. Don't try to tell me it is impossible or hard to do

It's neither - it's probably a 20 minute job. But it's a random
feature, that will be inconsistent with the rest of the app, added at
the request of one user in over 10 years. That is bad design
(inconsistency annoys users and causes confusion), and when repeated
for every individual request becomes an unmaintainable, messy
codebase.

>> Auto-complete in pgAdmin uses the same code as psql does. That's
>> regularly updated by the PostgreSQL team.
>

> But unfortunately it's very weak comparable to other solutions. Aspecialy it
> fails while working with joins. but makes impossible a lot of things like
> add field names just after SELECT etc. I don't want to list all issues here.
> There are better solutions - and this is the fact. That's why it should be
> possible to disable it in pgadmin.
> Just try SQL Asistant to see how far behind is native auto-complete. Because
> I have feeling you think psql based one is good enough.

I never use it myself. But out of interest, how exactly to SQL
Assistant give you any kind of usable auto complete for column names
after SELECT if you've got a database that's anything other than
trivially sized? For example, the database I'm currently working in
has nearly 4000 distinct columns in it, and that's relatively small.

>>> Then you figure out that it doesn't make sense to block other apps which
>>> do the job better.
>>
>> It doesn't block anything.
>>

> It does, actually . It uses most popular hot-key combination making
> impossible to use the same with SQL Assistant

What, you mean Ctrl+Space is captured by pgAdmin, even if it doesn't
have focus? It isn't here.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

От: Michal Kozusznik
Сообщение: Re: how to disable auto-completion
От: Dave Page
Сообщение: Re: pgadmin3 crash