Обсуждение: pgadmin installation on Windows XP without administrator rights

pgadmin installation on Windows XP without administrator rights

От
Robert Bruccoleri
Дата:
I am working at a location where I would like to test connectivity to a
Linux PostgreSQL database from Windows XP, and it was suggested to me
that I try using pgAdmin for that purpose. Unfortunately, I've run into
a problem -- pgAdmin will not install on the Windows system without an
administrator password, and I do not have adminstrative rights.

However, I can install other software packages on this Windows system by
using my own directory on the C: drive, and presumably the registry
entries that other software uses are not system entries.

The error message from pgAdmin implies that I do not have the right to
install the software for all users on the system, but in this case, I
would be able to do my connectivity testing if the software was
installed just for me.

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Sincerely,
Robert Bruccoleri

Вложения

Re: pgadmin installation on Windows XP without administrator rights

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Robert Bruccoleri
<bruc@stone.congenomics.com> wrote:
> I am working at a location where I would like to test connectivity to a
> Linux PostgreSQL database from Windows XP, and it was suggested to me that I
> try using pgAdmin for that purpose. Unfortunately, I've run into a problem
> -- pgAdmin will not install on the Windows system without an administrator
> password, and I do not have adminstrative rights.

What error message do you get exactly, and do you know where this
password prompt is coming from (some site-specific package perhaps)?
The pgAdmin installer doesn't ask for a password, and Windows XP
doesn't have privilege escalation in the UI.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: pgadmin installation on Windows XP without administrator rights

От
Dave Page

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Robert Bruccoleri <bruc@stone.congenomics.com> wrote:
Dear Dave,
    I'm not getting a password prompt -- just errors. I ran a number of installation attempts and captured the results:

            I tried several different versions of pgAdmin. With the current release (pgAdmin3 1.12.3) and the default settings for the installer, I get this:

Hi,

We don't set any properties that should force a per-machine installation as far as I can see (we certainly don't force ALLUSERS on). You might try installing form the command line with a command like this:

msiexec /i pgadmin3.msi ALLUSERS=""

That should run the installer but for it into per-user mode.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения

Re: pgadmin installation on Windows XP without administrator rights

От
Dave Page

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:11 PM, Robert Bruccoleri <bruc@stone.congenomics.com> wrote:
Dear Dave,
    Your suggestion worked although with some errors. Most importantly, I was able to run pgadmin3 and access the PostgreSQL server successfully. Here are the warnings:

Oh good - thanks for the update. FYI, all those warnings are coming from Microsoft's VC++ runtime merge module. There's nothing we can do about them :-(