Обсуждение: thank you

thank you

От
Kevin Hunter
Дата:
Hullo List,

This is aimed at everyone in this community who contributes to the
Postgres project, but especially at the core folks who continually make
this community great through energy, time, money, responses, and
what-have-you.

I see lots of "Thank you"s go by for this problem or that conundrum
solved, but I don't think I've seen a general thank you for all that all
y'all do.  (If I've missed them in the blur of emails I get, I do
apologize.)  Thank you for all that you do.

Thank you for the countless times you've saved my butt from my own
stupidity.  Thank you for the absolute awesome help you've been while
tracking down bugs.  Thank you for signing the NDA without fuss and
searching my DB for a bug that I may have caused.  Thank you for
answering my frustrated emails at some ungodly hour of the morning (do
you sleep?!).  Thank you for engaging others in discussion, sometimes
beyond the point of annoyance ... your enthusiasm and love for the
project is duly noted. Thank you for constantly preaching "the right
way".  Thank you . . . well you get the drift.  I'll stop before this
turns into some chain-letter type ordeal.

The point is that I hope you realize just how much you all mean to the
community.

Kevin

Re: thank you

От
Kevin Kempter
Дата:
On Tuesday 18 December 2007 19:26:40 Kevin Hunter wrote:
> Hullo List,
>
> This is aimed at everyone in this community who contributes to the
> Postgres project, but especially at the core folks who continually make
> this community great through energy, time, money, responses, and
> what-have-you.
>
> I see lots of "Thank you"s go by for this problem or that conundrum
> solved, but I don't think I've seen a general thank you for all that all
> y'all do.  (If I've missed them in the blur of emails I get, I do
> apologize.)  Thank you for all that you do.
>
> Thank you for the countless times you've saved my butt from my own
> stupidity.  Thank you for the absolute awesome help you've been while
> tracking down bugs.  Thank you for signing the NDA without fuss and
> searching my DB for a bug that I may have caused.  Thank you for
> answering my frustrated emails at some ungodly hour of the morning (do
> you sleep?!).  Thank you for engaging others in discussion, sometimes
> beyond the point of annoyance ... your enthusiasm and love for the
> project is duly noted. Thank you for constantly preaching "the right
> way".  Thank you . . . well you get the drift.  I'll stop before this
> turns into some chain-letter type ordeal.
>
> The point is that I hope you realize just how much you all mean to the
> community.
>
> Kevin

I'll second that. Plus thank you for a database system that's a joy to work
with.

/Kevin (Although not the same Kevin as above)

Re: thank you

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: thank you

От
"Martin Gainty"
Дата:
2 questions

NDA...what NDA??

I would suggest concentrating on implementing your contact page
(in other words publish the page only when it works correctly..)

M--
> On Tuesday 18 December 2007 19:26:40 Kevin Hunter wrote:
> > Hullo List,
> >
> > This is aimed at everyone in this community who contributes to the
> > Postgres project, but especially at the core folks who continually make
> > this community great through energy, time, money, responses, and
> > what-have-you.
> >
> > I see lots of "Thank you"s go by for this problem or that conundrum
> > solved, but I don't think I've seen a general thank you for all that all
> > y'all do.  (If I've missed them in the blur of emails I get, I do
> > apologize.)  Thank you for all that you do.
> >
> > Thank you for the countless times you've saved my butt from my own
> > stupidity.  Thank you for the absolute awesome help you've been while
> > tracking down bugs.  Thank you for signing the NDA without fuss and
> > searching my DB for a bug that I may have caused.  Thank you for
> > answering my frustrated emails at some ungodly hour of the morning (do
> > you sleep?!).  Thank you for engaging others in discussion, sometimes
> > beyond the point of annoyance ... your enthusiasm and love for the
> > project is duly noted. Thank you for constantly preaching "the right
> > way".  Thank you . . . well you get the drift.  I'll stop before this
> > turns into some chain-letter type ordeal.
> >
> > The point is that I hope you realize just how much you all mean to the
> > community.
> >
> > Kevin
>

> I'll second that. Plus thank you for a database system that's a joy to
work
> with.
>
> /Kevin (Although not the same Kevin as above)

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: thank you

От
"Gregory Williamson"

Kevin H. wrote on Tue 12/18/2007 7:26 PM

> Hullo List,
>
> This is aimed at everyone in this community who contributes to the
> Postgres project, but especially at the core folks who continually make
> this community great through energy, time, money, responses, and
> what-have-you.

<...snipped...>

> The point is that I hope you realize just how much you all mean to the
> community.

+1

Greg Williamson

Re: thank you

От
Paul Lambert
Дата:
Gregory Williamson wrote:
> Kevin H. wrote on Tue 12/18/2007 7:26 PM
>
>  > Hullo List,
>  >
>  > This is aimed at everyone in this community who contributes to the
>  > Postgres project, but especially at the core folks who continually make
>  > this community great through energy, time, money, responses, and
>  > what-have-you.
>
> <...snipped...>
>
>  > The point is that I hope you realize just how much you all mean to the
>  > community.
>  >

> +1
>
> Greg Williamson

+2

I'm just disappointed that I finish up work with my current employer on
Friday and where I am going I won't get to work with PG anymore and thus
won't have as much opportunity to interact with the PG community.

That is until I can convince my new employer to realise the dark side of
  Microsoft SQL Server. :)

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator

Re: thank you

От
Ow Mun Heng
Дата:
On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 20:12 -0700, Gregory Williamson wrote:
> Kevin H. wrote on Tue 12/18/2007 7:26 PM
> > This is aimed at everyone in this community who contributes to the
> > Postgres project, but especially at the core folks who continually
> make this community great through energy, time, money, responses, and
> > what-have-you.
>
> <...snipped...>
>
> > The point is that I hope you realize just how much you all mean to
> the community.
> >

> +1
+1

Re: thank you

От
Erik Jones
Дата:
On Dec 18, 2007, at 8:26 PM, Kevin Hunter wrote:

> Hullo List,
>
> This is aimed at everyone in this community who contributes to the
> Postgres project, but especially at the core folks who continually
> make
> this community great through energy, time, money, responses, and
> what-have-you.
>
> I see lots of "Thank you"s go by for this problem or that conundrum
> solved, but I don't think I've seen a general thank you for all
> that all
> y'all do.  (If I've missed them in the blur of emails I get, I do
> apologize.)  Thank you for all that you do.
>
> Thank you for the countless times you've saved my butt from my own
> stupidity.  Thank you for the absolute awesome help you've been while
> tracking down bugs.  Thank you for signing the NDA without fuss and
> searching my DB for a bug that I may have caused.  Thank you for
> answering my frustrated emails at some ungodly hour of the morning (do
> you sleep?!).  Thank you for engaging others in discussion, sometimes
> beyond the point of annoyance ... your enthusiasm and love for the
> project is duly noted. Thank you for constantly preaching "the right
> way".  Thank you . . . well you get the drift.  I'll stop before this
> turns into some chain-letter type ordeal.
>
> The point is that I hope you realize just how much you all mean to the
> community.

I'll second and third and ... everything he just said!  Over the past
couple of years I've come to realize that PostgreSQL's greatest
strength is that it is more than software, or even open source
software -- the software is really just the gold nugget at the center
of a vibrant community of individuals help, explain things, explain
things again, explain things again :), crack jokes, get to know each
other and so much more.  To the core team:  thanks for continuing to
make this possible, to everyone:  thanks for making it all happen!

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
615.292.0777 (fax)

Re: thank you

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:

Re: thank you

От
brian
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:20:32 +0900
> Paul Lambert <paul.lambert@reynolds.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>That is until I can convince my new employer to realise the dark side
>>of Microsoft SQL Server. :)
>

> 503-667-4564 extension 101... I am available anytime after 9:00am PST
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Now THAT is an upstanding gesture. Well done, sir!

(AND he arrives to work early!)

all the best,
brian

Re: thank you

От
Colin Wetherbee
Дата:
Gregory Williamson wrote:
> Kevin H. wrote on Tue 12/18/2007 7:26 PM
>
>  > Hullo List,
>  >
>  > This is aimed at everyone in this community who contributes to the
>  > Postgres project, but especially at the core folks who continually make
>  > this community great through energy, time, money, responses, and
>  > what-have-you.
>
> <...snipped...>
>
>  > The point is that I hope you realize just how much you all mean to the
>  > community.
>  >

> +1

+1 from me, too.  I haven't been here long, but I enjoy reading the
threads, and I've gained quite a lot of insight from the few threads in
which I've been involved.  I don't even use databases professionally --
I'm a stock trader -- but, I have been interested in PostgreSQL for
personal projects for a long time.  I'm glad I'm finally involved in a
community where I can learn from other peoples' experience and interact
with those people on a sort of informal but still professional level.
Thanks go out to Tom, Joshua, Merlin, and the rest of the big names on
the list.

Colin

Re: thank you

От
Shane Ambler
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:31:57 -0700
> Kevin Kempter <kevin@kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
>
>>> The point is that I hope you realize just how much you all mean to
>>> the community.
>>>
>>> Kevin
>>
>> I'll second that. Plus thank you for a database system that's a joy
>> to work with.
>>
>> /Kevin (Although not the same Kevin as above)
>
> /me takes note of all the Kevins that are handing out hugs...
>
> :)

Yup .. I'll dish out a dose o' them too..

;-)

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

Re: thank you

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:20:32 +0900
> Paul Lambert <paul.lambert@reynolds.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I'm just disappointed that I finish up work with my current employer
>> on Friday and where I am going I won't get to work with PG anymore
>> and thus won't have as much opportunity to interact with the PG
>> community.
>
>> That is until I can convince my new employer to realise the dark side
>> of Microsoft SQL Server. :)
>
> 503-667-4564 extension 101... I am available anytime after 9:00am PST

Now there's a blatant plug if ever I saw one. That's one in hand for EDB!!

:-)

(and in case that one gets missed: :-) )

/D

Re: thank you

От
Pedro Doria Meunier
Дата:
I second that!
A BIG THANK YOU for you Postgresql folks out there and since the season is up:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

               http://archives.postgresql.org/
--
Pedro Doria Meunier
Ips da Olaria

Re: thank you

От
Erik Jones
Дата:
On Dec 19, 2007, at 2:43 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 12:20:32 +0900
>> Paul Lambert <paul.lambert@reynolds.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm just disappointed that I finish up work with my current employer
>>> on Friday and where I am going I won't get to work with PG anymore
>>> and thus won't have as much opportunity to interact with the PG
>>> community.
>>
>>> That is until I can convince my new employer to realise the dark
>>> side
>>> of Microsoft SQL Server. :)
>>
>> 503-667-4564 extension 101... I am available anytime after 9:00am PST
>
> Now there's a blatant plug if ever I saw one. That's one in hand
> for EDB!!
>
> :-)
>
> (and in case that one gets missed: :-) )
>
> /D

Hah! :P

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®