Обсуждение: installation on Mac OS X 10.5.1

installation on Mac OS X 10.5.1

От
Chuck
Дата:
Hello,

What is the best way to install PostgreSQL on Mac OS X 10.5.1?
Or, perhaps I should ask is there a preferred way to PostgreSQL on Mac OS X?

Is a disk image installer fine? Or, is it better to compile all the components?

Is this installation perfectly fine?
http://www.kyngchaos.com/wiki/software:postgres
PostGIS recommends Kyngesburye: http://www.postgis.org/download/
They also refer to Fink.

Pat Maddox's blog recommends this approach:
<http://evang.eli.st/blog/2007/10/28/installing-postgres-8-2-on-leopard-includes-system-account>

Apple recommends Fink:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/postgres.html

The 'Robby on Rails' blog recommends MacPorts:
<http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2007/06/19/installing-ruby-on-rails-and-postgresql-on-os-x-second-edition>

Here's another installation (this is out-of-date):
http://www.psyex.com/techdocs/pgonx.html

Is there a clear "answer" for installation? Is the answer, "it
depends?"  Does all of this also apply to a Mac OS X 10.4.x machine?

Should I just use the single click DMG from Kyngesburye and
optionally install PostGIS? That looks like the easiest approach. Or,
Should I use MacPorts or Fink?

Thanks and happy holidays,
Chuck

Re: installation on Mac OS X 10.5.1

От
Niklas Johansson
Дата:
On 22 dec 2007, at 06.56, Chuck wrote:
> What is the best way to install PostgreSQL on Mac OS X 10.5.1?
> Or, perhaps I should ask is there a preferred way to PostgreSQL on
> Mac OS X?
>
> Is a disk image installer fine? Or, is it better to compile all the
> components?

I've always installed from source and I've never been sorry. Haven't
tried it on Leopard yet though. There's no reason to believe that the
various binary installers should be worse than a source install, but
since I've never tried them I really can't tell.

Compiling from source is a good way to get to know both your OS and
Postgres better.

Sincerely,

Niklas Johansson

Re: installation on Mac OS X 10.5.1

От
Dave Page
Chuck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the best way to install PostgreSQL on Mac OS X 10.5.1?
> Or, perhaps I should ask is there a preferred way to PostgreSQL on Mac
> OS X?

Well I can't say this (or any other) is a 'preferred' way, but you might
want to try the EnterpriseDB Postgres installer if you're will to run
8.3 beta until the full release:

http://postgres.enterprisedb.com/download.do

It works pretty well even if (as the author) I do say so myself :-)

Regards, Dave

Re: installation on Mac OS X 10.5.1

От
Chuck
Дата:
At 11:03 AM +0000 12/22/07, Dave Page wrote:
>Chuck wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>What is the best way to install PostgreSQL on Mac OS X 10.5.1?
>>Or, perhaps I should ask is there a preferred way to PostgreSQL on Mac OS X?
>
>Well I can't say this (or any other) is a 'preferred' way, but you
>might want to try the EnterpriseDB Postgres installer if you're will
>to run 8.3 beta until the full release:
>
>http://postgres.enterprisedb.com/download.do
>
>It works pretty well even if (as the author) I do say so myself :-)
>
>Regards, Dave

Dave,

Thanks. If I take this approach will it be straightforward to upgrade
from one beta to the next (assuming that there will be more betas)
then to upgrade to the release version? Will I be able to use the
EnterpriseDB Postgres installer for the release version?

I'm initially using Postgres for Mingle (with less than 5 users).
  http://studios.thoughtworks.com/
Later, I expect to make use of PostGIS.

Chuck

Re: installation on Mac OS X 10.5.1

От
"Dave Page"

Yes, the installer supports minor version upgrades. The only exception would be if an initdb forced again before
release(as happened between beta3 & beta4), but the community try not to do that this close to release. If it does
though,a dump/reload would be required.

Do remember that it's currently a beta, and until that changes (which should be early next year) shouldn't be
consideredas ready for production use.

Regards, Dave

Re: installation on Mac OS X 10.5.1

От
Chuck
Дата:
At 7:08 PM +0000 12/22/07, Dave Page wrote:
> [...]

okay, that seems fine.

>Do remember that it's currently a beta, and until that changes
>(which should be early next year) shouldn't be considered as ready
>for production use.

Yes, thanks for the reminder. I'm using this as a private in-house
database for about 5 people. If there's a very serious bug in 8.3,
I'm assuming the I could uninstall 8.3 then install 8.2.5 (assuming
that I'm not using any 8.3 features).

Thanks again,
Chuck

Re: installation on Mac OS X 10.5.1

От
"Dave Page"

That can be tricky to do and may not work. If you are looking to go into production immediately, you should probably
lookat one of the other distros and use 8.2.5.

Regards, Dave