Обсуждение: A motion

A motion

От
Adrian Klaver
Motion:

The Coc  discussion be moved to its own list where those who care can
argue to their hearts content and leave the rest of us to deal with
technical questions. Upon a decision on said list the result be posted
to the Postgres web site for consideration.

Thanks,

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: A motion

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/23/2016 03:03 PM, Berend Tober wrote:
> Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> Motion:
>>
>> The Coc  discussion be moved to its own list where those who care can
>> argue to their hearts content and leave the rest of us to deal with
>> technical questions. Upon a decision on said list the result be posted
>> to the Postgres web site for consideration.
>
> Been suggested already, and rejected:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56970135.6060203@computer.org

I'm an optimist.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: A motion

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 01/23/2016 03:08 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 01/23/2016 03:03 PM, Berend Tober wrote:
>> Adrian Klaver wrote:
>>> Motion:
>>>
>>> The Coc  discussion be moved to its own list where those who care can
>>> argue to their hearts content and leave the rest of us to deal with
>>> technical questions. Upon a decision on said list the result be posted
>>> to the Postgres web site for consideration.
>>
>> Been suggested already, and rejected:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56970135.6060203@computer.org
>
> I'm an optimist.

With respect Adrian, that is a motion that never stands a chance. If you
don't want to read it, set up a filter that sends it right to the round
file.

JD

                      +1-503-667-4564

Re: A motion

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2016-01-23 15:31:02 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> With respect Adrian, that is a motion that never stands a chance. If you
> don't want to read it, set up a filter that sends it right to the round
> file.

It'd help if there weren't six, but one thread...

Re: A motion

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/23/2016 03:31 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 01/23/2016 03:08 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

>>> Been suggested already, and rejected:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56970135.6060203@computer.org
>>
>> I'm an optimist.
>
> With respect Adrian, that is a motion that never stands a chance. If you
> don't want to read it, set up a filter that sends it right to the round
> file.

Not sure why, there is precedence:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/47227E15.6030205@agliodbs.com

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: A motion

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
On 01/23/2016 03:40 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2016-01-23 15:31:02 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> With respect Adrian, that is a motion that never stands a chance. If you
>> don't want to read it, set up a filter that sends it right to the round
>> file.
>
> It'd help if there weren't six, but one thread...

I tried to keep it to one but a few people decided the weeds were more
useful than a productive and constructive conversation.

I am continuing down the CoC that has been produced with productive and
constructive feedback over the last few weeks. If people would like to
contribute to that CoC that many contributors have already put quite of
bit of energy into, that is awesome. IF they want to continue to start
new threads that achieve nothing but an argument, I am done with those
(as of my last email on the subject).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                      +1-503-667-4564

Re: A motion

От
Chris Travers

On 2016-01-23 15:31:02 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> With respect Adrian, that is a motion that never stands a chance. If you
> don't want to read it, set up a filter that sends it right to the round
> file.

It'd help if there weren't six, but one thread...

It would also help if threads were clearly marked in the subject ;-)  Ok, in context I can figure out what the motion probably concerns, but a computer cannot.....

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.

Re: A motion

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/23/2016 03:31 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 01/23/2016 03:08 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

>>> Been suggested already, and rejected:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56970135.6060203@computer.org
>>
>> I'm an optimist.
>
> With respect Adrian, that is a motion that never stands a chance. If you
> don't want to read it, set up a filter that sends it right to the round
> file.

Thought long and hard about this and while it is possible, it is not
something I feel I should have to do. This conversation in its many
threads has spun out of control and into areas that a) out of the scope
of this list b) into conduct that would fall a foul of some or all of
the various 'code' that have been proposed. I plead guilty to
contributing to at least some of the previous and that pains me. What
pains me even more is the decision I have reached, to unsubscribe from
--general. Filtered or not this list is not a place for me anymore and
continued participation will only anger me more and that goes places I
do not want to go. I will continue on other postgres-- lists as long as
they stay untainted.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: A motion

От
bret_stern
Дата:
Adrian,
I hope you reconsider. You have far more value to the list.
The CoC dictators will flame out, then where will we be.
Just sit on the sidelines until the show is
over.
Look forward to the next awesome year.
My CoC: "keep it technical"

Fore

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: A motion

От
Dane Foster

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 4:00 PM, bret_stern <bret_stern@machinemanagement.com> wrote:
Adrian,
I hope you reconsider. You have far more value to the list.
The CoC dictators will flame out, then where will we be.
Just sit on the sidelines until the show is
over.
Look forward to the next awesome year.
My CoC: "keep it technical"

Fore

+1 To Adrian sticking around. I'm relatively new to participating on this list and PostgreSQL in general and you've been extremely helpful to me personally in answering questions I've raised and providing guidance/suggestions. I'm no fan of the CoC conversation either so I scan then delete and go on w/ my day. It's a strategy that is working for me and I hope you will adopt it and stick around. Newbies like myself need people like on this list.

Regards,

Dane

Re: A motion

От
Victor Yegorov
Дата:
Thought long and hard about this and while it is possible, it is not something I feel I should have to do. This conversation in its many threads has spun out of control and into areas that a) out of the scope of this list b) into conduct that would fall a foul of some or all of the various 'code' that have been proposed. I plead guilty to contributing to at least some of the previous and that pains me. What pains me even more is the decision I have reached, to unsubscribe from --general. Filtered or not this list is not a place for me anymore and continued participation will only anger me more and that goes places I do not want to go. I will continue on other postgres-- lists as long as they stay untainted.

Adrian,

Do not take emotional steps.
You're of a great value to the -general list. Let things settle down a bit for a while — I'm quite sure list will come back to it's common shape.

Please, do not go :)

--
Victor Y. Yegorov

Re: A motion

От
rob stone
Дата:
On Sun, 2016-01-24 at 17:27 -0500, Dane Foster wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 4:00 PM, bret_stern <bret_stern@machinemanage
> ment.com> wrote:
> > Adrian,
> > I hope you reconsider. You have far more value to the list.
> > The CoC dictators will flame out, then where will we be.
> > Just sit on the sidelines until the show is
> > over.
> > Look forward to the next awesome year.
> > My CoC: "keep it technical"
> >
> > Fore
> >

> +1 To Adrian sticking around. I'm relatively new to participating on
> this list and PostgreSQL in general and you've been extremely helpful
> to me personally in answering questions I've raised and providing
> guidance/suggestions. I'm no fan of the CoC conversation either so I
> scan then delete and go on w/ my day. It's a strategy that is working
> for me and I hope you will adopt it and stick around. Newbies like
> myself need people like on this list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dane

Plus one.
It's supposed to be a technical list.

Re: A motion

От
Roxanne Reid-Bennett
Дата:
On 1/23/2016 3:31 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 01/23/2016 03:08 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

>>> Been suggested already, and rejected:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56970135.6060203@computer.org
>>
>> I'm an optimist.
>
> With respect Adrian, that is a motion that never stands a chance. If
> you don't want to read it, set up a filter that sends it right to the
> round file.

I've drafted any  number of emails to respond to some point in the CoC
discussion and chosen to NOT sent them... primarily because I don't see
that my opinion needs to be expressed individually - others have
expressed the general gist... and what I would likely say will just
contribute to noise.

I am pretty much attempting to ignore the threads at this point,
skipping through them to find the technical discussions.  You are
welcome to respond with a regex that will filter them for us - I haven't
found one that will catch
every thread.

But this is where I will chip in... IMHO (and apparently Adrian's as
well) the  CoC discussion became a "sustained disruption" of the
communal space - and I'll add -  a long time ago.

+1 to Adrian's suggestion - move it into it's own list.  That Adrian is
finding it necessary to leave the -GENERAL list due to the noise... is
Irony with a capital "I" given your stated reasons for the group needing
a CoC.

Roxanne

Re: A motion

От
Neil

> On Jan 24, 2016, at 7:59 PM, Roxanne Reid-Bennett <rox@tara-lu.com> wrote:

>>> I'm an optimist.
>>
>> With respect Adrian, that is a motion that never stands a chance. If you don't want to read it, set up a filter that
sendsit right to the round file.

> I've drafted any  number of emails to respond to some point in the CoC discussion and chosen to NOT sent them...
primarilybecause I don't see that my opinion needs to be expressed individually - others have expressed the general
gist...and what I would likely say will just contribute to noise.

+1, except I worry that my silence will be drowned out by the "sustained disruption"

> I am pretty much attempting to ignore the threads at this point, skipping through them to find the technical
discussions. You are welcome to respond with a regex that will filter them for us - I haven't found one that will catch
> every thread.
>
> But this is where I will chip in... IMHO (and apparently Adrian's as well) the  CoC discussion became a "sustained
disruption"of the communal space - and I'll add -  a long time ago.

> +1 to Adrian's suggestion - move it into it's own list.  That Adrian is finding it necessary to leave the -GENERAL
listdue to the noise... is Irony with a capital "I" given your stated reasons for the group needing a CoC.

> Roxanne
>

> --

Re: A motion

От
Joshua Berkus

> >> With respect Adrian, that is a motion that never stands a chance. If you
> >> don't want to read it, set up a filter that sends it right to the round
> >> file.
> >
> > I've drafted any  number of emails to respond to some point in the CoC
> > discussion and chosen to NOT sent them... primarily because I don't see
> > that my opinion needs to be expressed individually - others have expressed
> > the general gist... and what I would likely say will just contribute to
> > noise.
> >

> +1, except I worry that my silence will be drowned out by the "sustained
> disruption"

Eh, it's been a fairly long time since a PostgreSQL mailing list was consumed by a sustained flamewar.  It almost seems
overdue.

However, while I personally support the desire for a CoC, I also feel that a freewheeling discussion on pgsql-general
isunlikely to produce any useful result.  I'd be happy to see the discussion go to some other venue, be it another list
orsomething else.  Given that the Project has been without a published CoC for literally decades, it would be better to
bedeliberate than precipitate.

--Josh Berkus

Re: A motion

От
"Regina Obe"
Дата:
I hate to say so folks, but I think Roxanne and Adrian and all those others that said similar things are right.

We have created a sustained disruption in a mailing list that is supposed to be about purely technical PostgreSQL
topics.
It's bad for a Coc to start off by everyone involved in contributing to its formation violating it.

At this point I feel we should:

a) Move this to pgsql-advocacy --- I really think this is more of an advocacy topic as it's about making people feel
welcome.
Besides looking at the advocacy list, no one has said anything since January 18
http://www.postgresql.org/list/pgsql-advocacy/2016-01/,
so they shouldn't be too bothered with our rants as we try to make PostgreSQL community a better place for everybody.
In fact a lot of advocacy people I think would be more likely to care, than people coming to a general list looking for
technicalhelp.

Or

b) Start a new PostgreSQL mailing list - call it -  pgsql-coc.  Encourage all that are interested in this topic to
join.

Again Roxanne, Adrian, and all those ready to throw us under the bus for disrupting their technical space, I am truly
sorry.
I would like to think I speak for others in this discussion, that they are sorry too.

Thanks,
Regina

On 1/23/2016 3:31 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 01/23/2016 03:08 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

>>> Been suggested already, and rejected:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56970135.6060203@computer.org
>>
>> I'm an optimist.
>
> With respect Adrian, that is a motion that never stands a chance. If
> you don't want to read it, set up a filter that sends it right to the
> round file.

I've drafted any  number of emails to respond to some point in the CoC
discussion and chosen to NOT sent them... primarily because I don't see
that my opinion needs to be expressed individually - others have
expressed the general gist... and what I would likely say will just
contribute to noise.

I am pretty much attempting to ignore the threads at this point,
skipping through them to find the technical discussions.  You are
welcome to respond with a regex that will filter them for us - I haven't
found one that will catch
every thread.

But this is where I will chip in... IMHO (and apparently Adrian's as
well) the  CoC discussion became a "sustained disruption" of the
communal space - and I'll add -  a long time ago.

+1 to Adrian's suggestion - move it into it's own list.  That Adrian is
finding it necessary to leave the -GENERAL list due to the noise... is
Irony with a capital "I" given your stated reasons for the group needing
a CoC.

Roxanne

Re: A motion

От
Albe Laurenz
Дата:
Regina Obe wrote:
> At this point I feel we should:
>
> a) Move this to pgsql-advocacy [...]

> Or
>
> b) Start a new PostgreSQL mailing list - call it -  pgsql-coc.

-1

While I personally feel that a code of conduct does not need to be an explicit
document and is something that "happens" through the way people on the lists
behave and the way the core team and list maintainers handle problems,
pgsql-general is where the community meets, and that is where such a discussion
should take place.

If it annoys some people, so be it; if people express their dislike, that's
a statement as well.  A code of conduct is about non-technical implications
of activity on the mailing lists, so using the non-technical nature of this
discussion as a reason to push it off the radar is counter-productive.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Re: A motion

От
Roxanne Reid-Bennett
Дата:
On 1/25/2016 12:55 AM, Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Regina Obe wrote:
>> At this point I feel we should:

> While I personally feel that a code of conduct does not need to be an explicit
> document and is something that "happens" through the way people on the lists
> behave and the way the core team and list maintainers handle problems,
> pgsql-general is where the community meets, and that is where such a discussion
> should take place.

To a degree you have a very valid point - however wading through a
discussion over nuanced verbiage isn't of value to me (and at least a
few others).    This discussion will not garner a visible opinion from
the vast majority of those who read this list, and most likely, the vast
majority of those on this list don't really care about the discussion at
all other than not wanting the Postgres *community* to self-destruct,
starve, or be torn apart by wolves.

 From direct personal experience, separating "how to run a group" from
"the topic" of the group improves at least the "topic" portion and those
who actually want to participate will follow wherever the "how" moves to.

I do appreciate this community, and "everyone's" declared desire to
maintain it's quality  a great deal - so I've piped up to add weight to
the request for a respite from the details... I'll deal with the
noise... by skipping it.  Adrian - a contributor.. apparently by leaving
(at least temporarily).

Roxanne
(Returning to stealth mode...)

Re: A motion

От
Melvin Davidson
Дата:
Although it has been previously disregarded, I would like to second the motion that all further discussion regarding the CoC go to it's own list.

Consider this.
1. The Coc will eventually apply to ALL PostgreSQL mail lists.
2. There will be a need to have additions and revisions to the Coc.
3. As this list is for General (and mostly technical discussions) further discussions/emails concerning the CoC only distracts from the purpose of this email list.

Regina Obe wrote:
At this point I feel we should:

While I personally feel that a code of conduct does not need to be an explicit
document and is something that "happens" through the way people on the lists
behave and the way the core team and list maintainers handle problems,
pgsql-general is where the community meets, and that is where such a discussion
should take place.

To a degree you have a very valid point - however wading through a discussion over nuanced verbiage isn't of value to me (and at least a few others).    This discussion will not garner a visible opinion from the vast majority of those who read this list, and most likely, the vast majority of those on this list don't really care about the discussion at all other than not wanting the Postgres *community* to self-destruct, starve, or be torn apart by wolves.

From direct personal experience, separating "how to run a group" from "the topic" of the group improves at least the "topic" portion and those who actually want to participate will follow wherever the "how" moves to.

I do appreciate this community, and "everyone's" declared desire to maintain it's quality  a great deal - so I've piped up to add weight to the request for a respite from the details... I'll deal with the noise... by skipping it.  Adrian - a contributor.. apparently by leaving (at least temporarily).

Roxanne
(Returning to stealth mode...)

Melvin Davidson

Re: A motion

От
John McKown
Дата:
On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:
Although it has been previously disregarded, I would like to second the motion that all further discussion regarding the CoC go to it's own list.

Consider this.
1. The Coc will eventually apply to ALL PostgreSQL mail lists.
2. There will be a need to have additions and revisions to the Coc.
3. As this list is for General (and mostly technical discussions) further discussions/emails concerning the CoC only distracts from the purpose of this email list.

​Complete agreement. I've kept my hands silent through force of will. Those who are interested can create a CoC to their heart's content. I will abide by it or not as I decide. But I try to be acceptably pleasant in all discussions, even when I disagree with someone.

This thread has been a completely useless; requiring extreme use of my delete key.​

--
Werner Heisenberg is driving down the autobahn. A police officer pulls
him over. The officer says, "Excuse me, sir, do you know how fast you

Computer Science is the only discipline in which we view adding a new wing to a building as being maintenance -- Jim Horning

Schrodinger's backup: The condition of any backup is unknown until a restore is attempted.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

Re: A motion

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

This thread is deprecated. The CoC Final Draft has been submitted to
-core for final modification, acceptance or decline.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

                      +1-503-667-4564

Re: A motion