Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5
Дата:
> - Up time. This means hot backup and no locking of the database during
> vacuum.

If Vadim made the change to make pg_dump dump in one transaction then
PostgreSQL already has "hot backup" in 6.5. This will do a consistent
snapshot of your database as it was when pg_dump began as long as you
don't change the database layout during the dump.

Andreas

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5 wrote:

> > - Up time. This means hot backup and no locking of the database during
> > vacuum.
> >
> If Vadim made the change to make pg_dump dump in one transaction then
> PostgreSQL already has "hot backup" in 6.5. This will do a consistent
> snapshot of your database as it was when pg_dump began as long as you
> don't change the database layout during the dump.

This is done.

Vacuum doesn't lock entire database. But it acquires access
exclusive lock over table being vacuumed and so delay all
(even SELECT) concurrent query executions. Lock released
after table vacuumed.

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 03:44 PM 6/8/99 +0800, Vadim Mikheev wrote:
>ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5 wrote:

>> If Vadim made the change to make pg_dump dump in one transaction then
>> PostgreSQL already has "hot backup" in 6.5. This will do a consistent
>> snapshot of your database as it was when pg_dump began as long as you
>> don't change the database layout during the dump.

>This is done.

You boys need to publicize this.  This lacking has been one of the
biggest arguments against using Postgres in any environment with
24-hr access, one example being the web...

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Don Baccus wrote:

> At 03:44 PM 6/8/99 +0800, Vadim Mikheev wrote:
> >ZEUGSWETTER Andreas IZ5 wrote:
>
> >> If Vadim made the change to make pg_dump dump in one transaction then
> >> PostgreSQL already has "hot backup" in 6.5. This will do a consistent
> >> snapshot of your database as it was when pg_dump began as long as you
> >> don't change the database layout during the dump.
>
> >This is done.
>
> You boys need to publicize this.  This lacking has been one of the
> biggest arguments against using Postgres in any environment with
> 24-hr access, one example being the web...

We discussed this issue recently and decided to follow this way,
so I didn't post message when pg_dump was changed, assuming
that it's known by all -:)

Or you talk that this should be mentioned in announcement/release
notes? May be... Though this is obvious feature of MVCC -
consistency read without blocking writers.

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Or you talk that this should be mentioned in
> announcement/release notes?

I've added a mention of this in the release notes, and (Bruce) since
I'll be regenerating INSTALL and HISTORY it will be included in those.
I *should* be able to retrofit it into admin.ps.gz also...
               - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 10:11 PM 6/8/99 +0800, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

>We discussed this issue recently and decided to follow this way,
>so I didn't post message when pg_dump was changed, assuming
>that it's known by all -:)

I don't mean to this group, or any of the postgres groups,
I mean to the world at large, in which Postgres has a very
negative image for web work.  Consistent dumps, killing
of one very bad memory leak (and a bunch of not-so-bad
ones), and moving to mvcc from table-locking - these are
three huge improvements for people building web sites.
Folks outside the normal Postgres community deserve to
know this.

And the latest download executes my "group by" clauses rather
than killing the backend, as I found out last night.  I've
just sped up a page that returns a bar graph of monthly
data by an order of magnitude, woo-hoo!  Before I was
forced to do a separate select for each month (against
about 100,000 records, boo-hiss), now one nice select
grouping data by month just like real databases let me
do, I'm happy!

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Bruce Momjian

> > - Up time. This means hot backup and no locking of the database during
> > vacuum.
> >
> If Vadim made the change to make pg_dump dump in one transaction then
> PostgreSQL already has "hot backup" in 6.5. This will do a consistent
> snapshot of your database as it was when pg_dump began as long as you
> don't change the database layout during the dump.

Excellent point.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> At 10:11 PM 6/8/99 +0800, Vadim Mikheev wrote:
>
> >We discussed this issue recently and decided to follow this way,
> >so I didn't post message when pg_dump was changed, assuming
> >that it's known by all -:)
>
> I don't mean to this group, or any of the postgres groups,
> I mean to the world at large, in which Postgres has a very
> negative image for web work.  Consistent dumps, killing
> of one very bad memory leak (and a bunch of not-so-bad
> ones), and moving to mvcc from table-locking - these are
> three huge improvements for people building web sites.
> Folks outside the normal Postgres community deserve to
> know this.
>
> And the latest download executes my "group by" clauses rather
> than killing the backend, as I found out last night.  I've
> just sped up a page that returns a bar graph of monthly
> data by an order of magnitude, woo-hoo!  Before I was
> forced to do a separate select for each month (against
> about 100,000 records, boo-hiss), now one nice select
> grouping data by month just like real databases let me
> do, I'm happy!

We really don't have access to web admin channels except through our
mailing list and software lists.  You need to get the word out.  We
addressed these issues escecially for web/high traffic users.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> > Or you talk that this should be mentioned in
> > announcement/release notes?
>
> I've added a mention of this in the release notes, and (Bruce) since
> I'll be regenerating INSTALL and HISTORY it will be included in those.
> I *should* be able to retrofit it into admin.ps.gz also...

Added to release notes:
       Another big benefit of MVCC is that <application>pg_dump</application>       can now generate consistent backups
oflive, active databases, without       blocking active transactions.

Good idea to add this.  I also added to the Enhancements list:

pg_dump now can generate consistent snapshots on active databases(Vadim)

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 12:25 PM 6/8/99 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>We really don't have access to web admin channels except through our
>mailing list and software lists.  You need to get the word out.  We
>addressed these issues escecially for web/high traffic users.

I have been, quietly, to people I know.  I gave up on 6.4.2 for my
particular use and had told folks that, and have now told the same
suite of folks that 6.5 appears to be a vast improvement for this
environment, at least for modest web/db projects.  Postgres still
doesn't have anywhere near the scalability of, say, Oracle and I'm
not certain that should be the goal.  It's far simpler to administer
and install largely for this very reason...and that's a very good
thing for folks wanting to do modest sites.

Any graphics designers out there?   How about a small "Powered
by Postgres" GIF with a snazzy, attractive look?  I've come
up with the phrase, but my artistic skills are limited to
photography, I'm afraid!

I'd certainly use such a graphic to decorate my pages if it
were available...

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Don Baccus wrote:

> Any graphics designers out there?   How about a small "Powered
> by Postgres" GIF with a snazzy, attractive look?  I've come
> up with the phrase, but my artistic skills are limited to
> photography, I'm afraid!
>
> I'd certainly use such a graphic to decorate my pages if it
> were available...

I posted one below a days ago... Any chance to see all such
things somewhere in ftp/www postgresql.org servers?

Vadim
P.S. Created by Michael Ivanov <mike@if-site.com>

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Don Baccus wrote:

> Any graphics designers out there?   How about a small "Powered
> by Postgres" GIF with a snazzy, attractive look?  I've come
> up with the phrase, but my artistic skills are limited to
> photography, I'm afraid!
>
> I'd certainly use such a graphic to decorate my pages if it
> were available...

I posted one below a days ago... Any chance to see all such
things somewhere in ftp/www postgresql.org servers?

Vadim
P.S. Created by Michael Ivanov <mike@if-site.com>
Вложения

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 01:10 AM 6/9/99 +0800, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

>I posted one below a days ago... Any chance to see all such
>things somewhere in ftp/www postgresql.org servers?

Nice!  I missed this when you posted it, there's been a lot
of traffic on the list with y'all getting ready for release.

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Don Baccus wrote:

> At 01:10 AM 6/9/99 +0800, Vadim Mikheev wrote:
>
> >I posted one below a days ago... Any chance to see all such
> >things somewhere in ftp/www postgresql.org servers?
>
> Nice!  I missed this when you posted it, there's been a lot
> of traffic on the list with y'all getting ready for release.

This was posted ~ 6 monthes ago -:)

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Peter Galbavy
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 07:32:41AM -0700, Don Baccus wrote:
> I don't mean to this group, or any of the postgres groups,
> I mean to the world at large, in which Postgres has a very
> negative image for web work.  Consistent dumps, killing
> of one very bad memory leak (and a bunch of not-so-bad
> ones), and moving to mvcc from table-locking - these are
> three huge improvements for people building web sites.
> Folks outside the normal Postgres community deserve to
> know this.

I have to agree with Don, and maybe try to offer an additional couple
of notes. I think, and this is only me - not supported by any facts,
that it would be useful having a highlights section in the release
notes, since the efforts of the developers (of which I hope to be able
to contribute too soon) make sure that each release results in *many*
updates. I would propose classifying these updates into a number of
categories, that would help users identify is (a) it is worth them
updgrading and (maybe more important) (b) if it is worth them trying
to use PGSQL now that "XYZ" has been fixed/implemented.

A quick suggested list:

1. New features
2. Major Performance Updates
3. Major Bug Fixes
4. Security / Reliability Changes
5. Other

Listing updates simple in reverse time order is too confusing.

BTW If no one has time, I will volunteer to do this...

just my $.04c (inflation)
--
Peter Galbavy
Knowledge Matters Ltd

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 02:03 AM 6/9/99 +0800, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

>This was posted ~ 6 monthes ago -:)

Oh, I've only been reading the list for a few weeks...

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 08-Jun-99 Vadim Mikheev wrote:
> Don Baccus wrote:
>>
>> Any graphics designers out there?   How about a small "Powered
>> by Postgres" GIF with a snazzy, attractive look?  I've come
>> up with the phrase, but my artistic skills are limited to
>> photography, I'm afraid!
>>
>> I'd certainly use such a graphic to decorate my pages if it
>> were available...
>
> I posted one below a days ago... Any chance to see all such
> things somewhere in ftp/www postgresql.org servers?
>
> Vadim
> P.S. Created by Michael Ivanov <mike@if-site.com>

I kinda like this one from http://guru.umc.se/imgdb/
Marc found it last week but I didn't get a chance to put it up.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Vadim Mikheev
Дата:
Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> I kinda like this one from http://guru.umc.se/imgdb/
> Marc found it last week but I didn't get a chance to put it up.

I like it too.
So, any chance to put all these and others somewhere
in www.postgresql.org?

Vadim

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 08-Jun-99 Vadim Mikheev wrote:
> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>>
>> I kinda like this one from http://guru.umc.se/imgdb/
>> Marc found it last week but I didn't get a chance to put it up.
>
> I like it too.
> So, any chance to put all these and others somewhere
> in www.postgresql.org?

Something that I've been thinking about for the new site, since more than
one of us is thinking this it'll be there (I no longer have to wonder if
it's a good idea :)

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
Have you added to our web site? *raised eyebrow*

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

> Don Baccus wrote:
> >
> > Any graphics designers out there?   How about a small "Powered
> > by Postgres" GIF with a snazzy, attractive look?  I've come
> > up with the phrase, but my artistic skills are limited to
> > photography, I'm afraid!
> >
> > I'd certainly use such a graphic to decorate my pages if it
> > were available...
>
> I posted one below a days ago... Any chance to see all such
> things somewhere in ftp/www postgresql.org servers?
>
> Vadim
> P.S. Created by Michael Ivanov <mike@if-site.com>

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 07:32:41AM -0700, Don Baccus wrote:
> > I don't mean to this group, or any of the postgres groups,
> > I mean to the world at large, in which Postgres has a very
> > negative image for web work.  Consistent dumps, killing
> > of one very bad memory leak (and a bunch of not-so-bad
> > ones), and moving to mvcc from table-locking - these are
> > three huge improvements for people building web sites.
> > Folks outside the normal Postgres community deserve to
> > know this.
>
> I have to agree with Don, and maybe try to offer an additional couple
> of notes. I think, and this is only me - not supported by any facts,
> that it would be useful having a highlights section in the release
> notes, since the efforts of the developers (of which I hope to be able
> to contribute too soon) make sure that each release results in *many*
> updates. I would propose classifying these updates into a number of
> categories, that would help users identify is (a) it is worth them
> updgrading and (maybe more important) (b) if it is worth them trying
> to use PGSQL now that "XYZ" has been fixed/implemented.
>
> A quick suggested list:
>
> 1. New features
> 2. Major Performance Updates
> 3. Major Bug Fixes
> 4. Security / Reliability Changes
> 5. Other
>
> Listing updates simple in reverse time order is too confusing.

Already done, on web site, and release notes.  Sections are Bugs,
Enhancements, Source code changes.

Pennsylvania19026

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Don Baccus
Дата:
At 02:48 PM 6/8/99 -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

>I kinda like this one from http://guru.umc.se/imgdb/
>Marc found it last week but I didn't get a chance to put it up.

I do, too!  A little more subdued and not quite as distracting.

If you want to see how it looks on a page, it now appears on
all pages at http://donb.photo.net/tweeterdom.

(AOLServer makes it easy to decorate all pages coming out of
a site so adding things like this is a piece of cake).

You'll notice I made it a link to http://www.postgresql.org...

- Don Baccus, Portland OR <dhogaza@pacifier.com> Nature photos, on-line guides, and other goodies at
http://donb.photo.net

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Have you added to our web site? *raised eyebrow*

Oops, had meant to respond to Vince's on the umc.se Powered By :)

> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Vadim Mikheev wrote:
>
> > Don Baccus wrote:
> > >
> > > Any graphics designers out there?   How about a small "Powered
> > > by Postgres" GIF with a snazzy, attractive look?  I've come
> > > up with the phrase, but my artistic skills are limited to
> > > photography, I'm afraid!
> > >
> > > I'd certainly use such a graphic to decorate my pages if it
> > > were available...
> >
> > I posted one below a days ago... Any chance to see all such
> > things somewhere in ftp/www postgresql.org servers?
> >
> > Vadim
> > P.S. Created by Michael Ivanov <mike@if-site.com>
>
> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Logos-n-stuff Was: Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Vince Vielhaber
Дата:
On 08-Jun-99 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>

>> Have you added to our web site? *raised eyebrow*
>
> Oops, had meant to respond to Vince's on the umc.se Powered By :)

Actually I hoped you were typing at Vadim!  I totally forgot about it,
kinda, since I'm more looking to the new stuff (which I'm still waiting
for final decisions so we can get going).  Also it occurred to me a few
minutes ago that we never *really* got an approval from the elephant's
author to use that logo - unless core heard something that I didn't.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null      # include <std/disclaimers.h>
       TEAM-OS2       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop Superstore
http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Re: Logos-n-stuff Was: Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
I asked Jan about it over a month ago, and his response to me was that we
could use it...

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On 08-Jun-99 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >

> >> Have you added to our web site? *raised eyebrow*
> >
> > Oops, had meant to respond to Vince's on the umc.se Powered By :)
>
> Actually I hoped you were typing at Vadim!  I totally forgot about it,
> kinda, since I'm more looking to the new stuff (which I'm still waiting
> for final decisions so we can get going).  Also it occurred to me a few
> minutes ago that we never *really* got an approval from the elephant's
> author to use that logo - unless core heard something that I didn't.
>
> Vince.
> --
> Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
>        # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
>         Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com
>        Online Giftshop Superstore    http://www.cloudninegifts.com

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > > Or you talk that this should be mentioned in
> > > announcement/release notes?
> > I've added a mention of this in the release notes, and (Bruce) since
> > I'll be regenerating INSTALL and HISTORY it will be included in those.
> > I *should* be able to retrofit it into admin.ps.gz also...
> Added to release notes:
> Good idea to add this.  I also added to the Enhancements list:
> pg_dump now can generate consistent snapshots on active databases(Vadim)

?? "I've added a mention of this in the release notes" was supposed to
keep you from doing anything! Wholesale reorganization isn't likely to
make it into hardcopy, and I'm not happy about that. Please remember
that I've already generated hardcopy for a release that was supposed
to happen tomorrow, so gratuitous changes aren't going to go over very
well with me :/

I see that lock.sgml has been updated. But I'll probably need ~2 days
elapsed to finish off the docs, as I mentioned last week.
                   - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] 6.6 items

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
> > > I've added a mention of this in the release notes, and (Bruce) since
> > > I'll be regenerating INSTALL and HISTORY it will be included in those.
> > > I *should* be able to retrofit it into admin.ps.gz also...
> > Added to release notes:
> > Good idea to add this.  I also added to the Enhancements list:
> > pg_dump now can generate consistent snapshots on active databases(Vadim)
>
> ?? "I've added a mention of this in the release notes" was supposed to
> keep you from doing anything! Wholesale reorganization isn't likely to
> make it into hardcopy, and I'm not happy about that. Please remember
> that I've already generated hardcopy for a release that was supposed
> to happen tomorrow, so gratuitous changes aren't going to go over very
> well with me :/
>
> I see that lock.sgml has been updated. But I'll probably need ~2 days
> elapsed to finish off the docs, as I mentioned last week.

OK, I am confused.  What should we do or not do?  I thought release
notes->HISTORY was OK for changes.  I realize lock.sgml is harder.  Is
it because the release notes are also in admin.gz?

Pennsylvania19026