Обсуждение: Confusing with commit time usage in logical decoding

Confusing with commit time usage in logical decoding

От
Artur Zakirov
Дата:
Hello,

I read this message
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56D4197E.9050706@informatik.uni-kl.de

Is this a bug or a typo? In DecodeCommit() in decode.c instead of:

if (parsed->xinfo & XACT_XINFO_HAS_ORIGIN)
{origin_lsn = parsed->origin_lsn;commit_time = parsed->origin_timestamp;
}

should be:

if (parsed->xinfo & XACT_XINFO_HAS_ORIGIN)
{origin_lsn = parsed->origin_lsn;commit_time = parsed->origin_timestamp;
}
elsecommit_time = parsed->xact_time;

--
Artur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company

Re: Confusing with commit time usage in logical decoding

От
Artur Zakirov
Дата:
Hello, Andres

You have introduced a large replication progress tracking infrastructure
last year. And there is a problem described at the link in the quote below.

Attached patch fix this issue. Is this patch correct? I will be grateful
if it is and if it will be committed.

Thanks.

On 29.02.2016 14:18, Artur Zakirov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I read this message
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/56D4197E.9050706@informatik.uni-kl.de
>
> Is this a bug or a typo? In DecodeCommit() in decode.c instead of:
>
> if (parsed->xinfo & XACT_XINFO_HAS_ORIGIN)
> {
>      origin_lsn = parsed->origin_lsn;
>      commit_time = parsed->origin_timestamp;
> }
>
> should be:
>
> if (parsed->xinfo & XACT_XINFO_HAS_ORIGIN)
> {
>      origin_lsn = parsed->origin_lsn;
>      commit_time = parsed->origin_timestamp;
> }
> else
>      commit_time = parsed->xact_time;

--
Artur Zakirov
Russian Postgres Company

Вложения

Re: Confusing with commit time usage in logical decoding

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Artur Zakirov wrote:
> Hello, Andres
>
> You have introduced a large replication progress tracking infrastructure
> last year. And there is a problem described at the link in the quote below.
>
> Attached patch fix this issue. Is this patch correct? I will be grateful if
> it is and if it will be committed.

AFAICS this is clearly a bug introduced in 5aa235042:
   /* replay actions of all transaction + subtransactions in order */   ReorderBufferCommit(ctx->reorder, xid,
buf->origptr,buf->endptr,

-                       parsed->xact_time);
+                       commit_time, origin_id, origin_lsn);}

Re: Confusing with commit time usage in logical decoding

От
Petr Jelinek
Дата:
On 01/03/16 17:57, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Artur Zakirov wrote:
>> Hello, Andres
>>
>> You have introduced a large replication progress tracking infrastructure
>> last year. And there is a problem described at the link in the quote below.
>>
>> Attached patch fix this issue. Is this patch correct? I will be grateful if
>> it is and if it will be committed.
>
> AFAICS this is clearly a bug introduced in 5aa235042:
>
>      /* replay actions of all transaction + subtransactions in order */
>      ReorderBufferCommit(ctx->reorder, xid, buf->origptr, buf->endptr,
> -                       parsed->xact_time);
> +                       commit_time, origin_id, origin_lsn);
>   }

Well yeah but the commit_time is set few lines above as Artur pointed
out, I think the proposed fix is correct one.

--   Petr Jelinek                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services

Re: Confusing with commit time usage in logical decoding

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On 01/03/16 17:57, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >Artur Zakirov wrote:
> >>Hello, Andres
> >>
> >>You have introduced a large replication progress tracking infrastructure
> >>last year. And there is a problem described at the link in the quote below.
> >>
> >>Attached patch fix this issue. Is this patch correct? I will be grateful if
> >>it is and if it will be committed.
> >
> >AFAICS this is clearly a bug introduced in 5aa235042:
> >
> >     /* replay actions of all transaction + subtransactions in order */
> >     ReorderBufferCommit(ctx->reorder, xid, buf->origptr, buf->endptr,
> >-                       parsed->xact_time);
> >+                       commit_time, origin_id, origin_lsn);
> >  }
> >

> Well yeah but the commit_time is set few lines above as Artur pointed out, I
> think the proposed fix is correct one.

Err, yes, that's exactly what I am saying.  Sorry for being unclear.

Re: Confusing with commit time usage in logical decoding

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
Hi,

On 2016-03-01 18:09:28 +0100, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On 01/03/16 17:57, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >Artur Zakirov wrote:
> >>Hello, Andres
> >>
> >>You have introduced a large replication progress tracking infrastructure
> >>last year. And there is a problem described at the link in the quote below.
> >>
> >>Attached patch fix this issue. Is this patch correct? I will be grateful if
> >>it is and if it will be committed.
> >
> >AFAICS this is clearly a bug introduced in 5aa235042:
> >
> >     /* replay actions of all transaction + subtransactions in order */
> >     ReorderBufferCommit(ctx->reorder, xid, buf->origptr, buf->endptr,
> >-                       parsed->xact_time);
> >+                       commit_time, origin_id, origin_lsn);
> >  }
> >

> Well yeah but the commit_time is set few lines above as Artur pointed out, I
> think the proposed fix is correct one.

I'd rather just initialize commit_time to parsed->xact_time.

This indeed is clearly a bug. I do wonder if anybody has a good idea
about how to add regression tests for this? It's rather annoying that
we have to suppress timestamps in the test_decoding tests, because
they're obviously not reproducible...

Andres

Re: Confusing with commit time usage in logical decoding

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Andres Freund wrote:

> I'd rather just initialize commit_time to parsed->xact_time.

That also works.

Probably also change its declaration to actually be TimestampTz ...

> This indeed is clearly a bug. I do wonder if anybody has a good idea
> about how to add regression tests for this? It's rather annoying that
> we have to suppress timestamps in the test_decoding tests, because
> they're obviously not reproducible...

Maybe commit two transactions with a 1s sleep in between, and verify
that the difference between the two timestamps is >= 1s and <= now()?
(I don't know the test_decoding test suite)

On 01/03/16 18:18, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2016-03-01 18:09:28 +0100, Petr Jelinek wrote:

>>> AFAICS this is clearly a bug introduced in 5aa235042:
>>>
>>>      /* replay actions of all transaction + subtransactions in order */
>>>      ReorderBufferCommit(ctx->reorder, xid, buf->origptr, buf->endptr,
>>> -                       parsed->xact_time);
>>> +                       commit_time, origin_id, origin_lsn);
>>>   }
>>>

>> Well yeah but the commit_time is set few lines above as Artur pointed out, I
>> think the proposed fix is correct one.
>
> I'd rather just initialize commit_time to parsed->xact_time.
>
> This indeed is clearly a bug. I do wonder if anybody has a good idea
> about how to add regression tests for this? It's rather annoying that
> we have to suppress timestamps in the test_decoding tests, because
> they're obviously not reproducible...

The test for commit timestamps checks that the timestamps are within
reasonable time frame (for example, bigger than value of a timestamp
column in the table since that's assigned before commit obviously) ,
it's not perfect but similar approach should catch issues like this one.

--   Petr Jelinek                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services

Re: Confusing with commit time usage in logical decoding

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2016-03-01 18:31:42 +0100, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> On 01/03/16 18:18, Andres Freund wrote:
> >I'd rather just initialize commit_time to parsed->xact_time.
> >
> >This indeed is clearly a bug. I do wonder if anybody has a good idea
> >about how to add regression tests for this? It's rather annoying that
> >we have to suppress timestamps in the test_decoding tests, because
> >they're obviously not reproducible...
> >

> The test for commit timestamps checks that the timestamps are within
> reasonable time frame (for example, bigger than value of a timestamp column
> in the table since that's assigned before commit obviously) , it's not
> perfect but similar approach should catch issues like this one.

Fixed, including such a test. Thanks for the report; and for the idea of
the fix!

Andres