Обсуждение: Is Pgsql an OORDBMS?

Is Pgsql an OORDBMS?

От
"Larry ganga giri"
Дата:
Hi,
 I have doubts reg architecture of Pgsql.
 Is an OORDBMS?or mere RDBMS?
 Can anybody compare with MySQL?
 need details urgently.

Advanced thanx,
Larry.

Get your own free England E-mail address at http://www.england.com

Re: Is Pgsql an OORDBMS?

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
PostgreSQL is label'd an ORDBMS (not OO), which tends to mean that it
carries some traits of, but is not fully, OO ...

One of our developers (Chris Bitmead?) has been spending time on improving
the OO capabilities, with improvements brought into v7.0 (soon to be
released) ...

As for "comparing with MySQL" ... it doesn't.  MySQL is essentially a
bunch of flat files with an SQL implementation over top of it to access
them ... it doesn't support key features required to be construed as a
true RDBMS, main one being to me is its complete lack (and disregard) for
transactions/rollback ...

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Larry ganga giri wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have doubts reg architecture of Pgsql.
>
>   Is an OORDBMS?or mere RDBMS?
>
>   Can anybody compare with MySQL?
>
>   need details urgently.
>
> Advanced thanx,
> Larry.

> Get your own free England E-mail address at http://www.england.com

Systems Administrator @ hub.org

Re: Is Pgsql an OORDBMS?

От
Oleg Broytmann
Дата:
On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Larry ganga giri wrote:
>   Can anybody compare with MySQL?

http://sun.med.ru/~phd/Software/SQL/PostgreSQL-vs-MySQL.html

Fatser mirrors: http://members.xoom.com/phd2.1/Software/SQL/PostgreSQL-vs-MySQL.html
http://www.fortunecity.com/skyscraper/unix/797/Software/SQL/PostgreSQL-vs-MySQL.html

Oleg.
----    Oleg Broytmann    http://members.xoom.com/phd2.1/    phd2@earthling.net          Programmers don't die, they
justGOSUB without RETURN.

Re: Is Pgsql an OORDBMS?

От
"Larry ganga giri"
Дата:
 What is ORDBMS alone?OO for Object Oriented.
little bit confused.  Can u tell me what are the traits off?
thanks,
Larry.

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 11:33:39    The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>PostgreSQL is label'd an ORDBMS (not OO), which tends to mean that it
>carries some traits of, but is not fully, OO ...
>
>One of our developers (Chris Bitmead?) has been spending time on improving
>the OO capabilities, with improvements brought into v7.0 (soon to be
>released) ...
>
>As for "comparing with MySQL" ... it doesn't.  MySQL is essentially a
>bunch of flat files with an SQL implementation over top of it to access
>them ... it doesn't support key features required to be construed as a
>true RDBMS, main one being to me is its complete lack (and disregard) for
>transactions/rollback ...
>

>On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Larry ganga giri wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>>   I have doubts reg architecture of Pgsql.
>>
>>   Is an OORDBMS?or mere RDBMS?
>>
>>   Can anybody compare with MySQL?
>>
>>   need details urgently.
>>
>> Advanced thanx,
>> Larry.

>> Get your own free England E-mail address at http://www.england.com
>>

>Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
>Systems Administrator @ hub.org
>primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

Get your own free England E-mail address at http://www.england.com

Re: Is Pgsql an OORDBMS?

От
Tulassay Zsolt

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Larry ganga giri wrote:

>   What is ORDBMS alone?OO for Object Oriented.
> little bit confused.
object-relational, perhaps.

Zsolt