Обсуждение: No SPF record for postgresql.org?

No SPF record for postgresql.org?

Дата:
I've been tinkering with setting up SPF-based filtering on my mail
server, and I was surprised to find out that most of the traffic
it would want to throw away is Postgres mailing list messages.
Why is it that there's no SPF record for postgresql.org?  I realize
that there's debate about how useful SPF actually is, but surely
that's not a reason not to publish an SPF entry.
        regards, tom lane

Re: No SPF record for postgresql.org?

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
On 16 Oct 2016, at 19:28, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> I've been tinkering with setting up SPF-based filtering on my mail
> server, and I was surprised to find out that most of the traffic
> it would want to throw away is Postgres mailing list messages.
> Why is it that there's no SPF record for postgresql.org?  I realize
> that there's debate about how useful SPF actually is, but surely
> that's not a reason not to publish an SPF entry.

As an extra data point, the lack of SPF and DKIM for postgresql.org
is a bit of a pain when using @postgresql.org email address too. :(

Especially to Yahoo email users.

Maybe thankfully, Yahoo might not be a problem for that much longer. ;)

+ Justin

- Indira Gandhi

Re: No SPF record for postgresql.org?

От
Greg Stark
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 8:29 PM, Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2016, at 19:28, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> I've been tinkering with setting up SPF-based filtering on my mail
>> server, and I was surprised to find out that most of the traffic
>> it would want to throw away is Postgres mailing list messages.
>
> As an extra data point, the lack of SPF and DKIM for postgresql.org
> is a bit of a pain when using @postgresql.org email address too. :(

I understand how SPF affects @postgresql.org addresses but I was under
the impression that it was no help for mailing list traffic since it's
being relayed so the ip address isn't going to match the records for
the sending domain anyways. For relayed traffic you need the verify
the DKIM signature (which is why it's important that the list not
modify the content).

--
greg

Re: No SPF record for postgresql.org?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 8:29 PM, Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On 16 Oct 2016, at 19:28, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>
>> I've been tinkering with setting up SPF-based filtering on my mail
>> server, and I was surprised to find out that most of the traffic
>> it would want to throw away is Postgres mailing list messages.
>
> As an extra data point, the lack of SPF and DKIM for postgresql.org
> is a bit of a pain when using @postgresql.org email address too. :(

I understand how SPF affects @postgresql.org addresses but I was under
the impression that it was no help for mailing list traffic since it's
being relayed so the ip address isn't going to match the records for
the sending domain anyways. For relayed traffic you need the verify
the DKIM signature (which is why it's important that the list not
modify the content).

Yes, these are very different problems. DKIM is definitely causing issues with the lists at this point, and we're working on a solution for that.

SPF is a different beast. We have SPF set up for most of our non-postgresql.org domains, but we've been hesitant to touch the actual postgresql.org domain until we have separate out the list namespaces. It *should* be safe, but we just haven't wanted to touch it until we were certain. At least that's my recollection of it, Stefan might have more details.

--

Re: No SPF record for postgresql.org?

Дата:
Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> writes:
> I understand how SPF affects @postgresql.org addresses but I was under
> the impression that it was no help for mailing list traffic since it's
> being relayed so the ip address isn't going to match the records for
> the sending domain anyways.

No, I think you're confusing it with DKIM.  SPF checks to see whether
the sending machine is an authorized IP address for the domain of the
envelope FROM address --- which'd be the list itself.  For example,
the whine I'm getting about this message is

Received-SPF: none (sss.pgh.pa.us: domain of postgresql.org does not provide an SPF record) client-ip=217.196.149.56;
envelope-from=sss.pgh.pa.us@postgresql.org;helo=malur.postgresql.org;

The original sender having been stark@mit.edu doesn't enter into it.
        regards, tom lane

Re: No SPF record for postgresql.org?

Дата:
> SPF is a different beast. We have SPF set up for most of our
> non-postgresql.org domains, but we've been hesitant to touch the actual
> postgresql.org domain until we have separate out the list namespaces. It
> *should* be safe, but we just haven't wanted to touch it until we were
> certain. At least that's my recollection of it, Stefan might have more
> details.

OK, as long as there's a plan.  I'm going to whitelist postgresql.org
anyway, so it doesn't matter to me.  It just seemed like publishing
an SPF entry is an important part of don't-look-like-a-spammer these
days.
        regards, tom lane