Обсуждение: Like Command returning wrong result set

Like Command returning wrong result set

От
"Tchouante, Merlin"

Hello group,

I’m writing a script and a bit confused on the results with the like command.

gm.title like 'CP_%'

The above command gives me records with titles like CP_40, CP_2, CP_23, etc.

gm.title like '%_CT'

The above command give me records with tiles like Quiz: RadiInterpretation w/ CBCT.

I was expecting it to return titles that contained *_CT, i.e. FX_CT or DR_CT.  It’s as if it’s ignoring the underscore the way it would do if you were using ‘%CT’.  Does it ignore the underscore when it’s right after the ‘%’?

Thanks,

  -- Merlin

Merlin D. Tchouante, Sr. IT Enterprise Application Developer
Center for Information Technology Services (CITS)
601 West Lombard Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201-1512
mtchouan@umaryland.edu
410-706-4489 * 410-706-1500 fax

Please send Blackboard questions to the CITS support email address:  DL-CITSBbSupport@umaryland.edu

Please send Mediasite questions to the CITS support email address:  DL-CITSMediasiteSupport@umaryland.edu

New UMB Logo

Вложения

Sv: Like Command returning wrong result set

От
Andreas Joseph Krogh
Дата:
På torsdag 05. august 2021 kl. 16:00:38, skrev Tchouante, Merlin <mtchouan@umaryland.edu>:

Hello group,

I’m writing a script and a bit confused on the results with the like command.

gm.title like 'CP_%'

The above command gives me records with titles like CP_40, CP_2, CP_23, etc.

gm.title like '%_CT'

The above command give me records with tiles like Quiz: RadiInterpretation w/ CBCT.

I was expecting it to return titles that contained *_CT, i.e. FX_CT or DR_CT.  It’s as if it’s ignoring the underscore the way it would do if you were using ‘%CT’.  Does it ignore the underscore when it’s right after the ‘%’?

  • Percent sign ( %) matches any sequence of zero or more characters.
  • Underscore sign ( _)  matches any single character.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh

Re: Like Command returning wrong result set

От
Pavel Stehule

čt 5. 8. 2021 v 16:04 odesílatel Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com> napsal:
På torsdag 05. august 2021 kl. 16:00:38, skrev Tchouante, Merlin <mtchouan@umaryland.edu>:

Hello group,

I’m writing a script and a bit confused on the results with the like command.

gm.title like 'CP_%'

The above command gives me records with titles like CP_40, CP_2, CP_23, etc.

gm.title like '%_CT'

The above command give me records with tiles like Quiz: RadiInterpretation w/ CBCT.

I was expecting it to return titles that contained *_CT, i.e. FX_CT or DR_CT.  It’s as if it’s ignoring the underscore the way it would do if you were using ‘%CT’.  Does it ignore the underscore when it’s right after the ‘%’?

  • Percent sign ( %) matches any sequence of zero or more characters.
  • Underscore sign ( _)  matches any single character.

yes

Regards

Pavel

    --
    Andreas Joseph Krogh

    Re: Like Command returning wrong result set

    От
    Christophe Pettus

    > On Aug 5, 2021, at 07:00, Tchouante, Merlin <mtchouan@umaryland.edu> wrote:
    >
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I’m writing a script and a bit confused on the results with the like command.
    >
    > gm.title like 'CP_%'
    >
    > The above command gives me records with titles like CP_40, CP_2, CP_23, etc.
    >
    > gm.title like '%_CT'

    Somewhat confusingly, '_' is the single-character wildcard for SQL's LIKE operation:

    xof=# SELECT 'A' LIKE '_';
     ?column?
    ----------
    (1 row)

    You can escape it to search for it literally:

    xof=# SELECT '_' LIKE '\_';
     ?column?
    ----------
    (1 row)

    xof=# SELECT 'A' LIKE '\_';
     ?column?
    ----------
    (1 row)

    RE: Like Command returning wrong result set

    От
    "Tchouante, Merlin"
    Дата:
    This worked, thank you so much; I'm still stuck in Oracle mode.  Thank you to everyone that responded.

    Thanks,
      -- Merlin

    Merlin D. Tchouante, Sr. IT Enterprise Application Developer
    Center for Information Technology Services (CITS)
    601 West Lombard Street
    Baltimore, Maryland 21201-1512
    mtchouan@umaryland.edu
    410-706-4489 * 410-706-1500 fax

    Please send Blackboard questions to the CITS support email address:  DL-CITSBbSupport@umaryland.edu
    Please send Mediasite questions to the CITS support email address:  DL-CITSMediasiteSupport@umaryland.edu

    CAUTION: This message originated from a non-UMB email system. Hover over any links before clicking and use caution
    openingattachments.