Обсуждение: pgsql: Don't Memoize lateral joins with volatile join conditions

pgsql: Don't Memoize lateral joins with volatile join conditions

От
David Rowley
Дата:
Don't Memoize lateral joins with volatile join conditions

The use of Memoize was already disabled in normal joins when the join
conditions had volatile functions per the code in
match_opclause_to_indexcol().  Ordinarily, the parameterization for the
inner side of a nested loop will be an Index Scan or at least eventually
lead to an index scan (perhaps nested several joins deep). However, for
lateral joins, that's not the case and seq scans can be parameterized
too, so we can't rely on match_opclause_to_indexcol().

Here we explicitly check the parameterization for volatile functions and
don't consider the generation of a Memoize path when such functions
are present.

Author: Richard Guo
Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAMbWs49nHFnHbpepLsv_yF3qkpCS4BdB-v8HoJVv8_=Oat0u_w@mail.gmail.com
Backpatch-through: 14, where Memoize was introduced

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/990c3650c535f6fc84d53abb0bd03ad0dd16c576

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/optimizer/path/joinpath.c | 17 +++++++++++++++++
1 file changed, 17 insertions(+)

Re: pgsql: Don't Memoize lateral joins with volatile join conditions

Дата:
David Rowley <drowley@postgresql.org> writes:
> Don't Memoize lateral joins with volatile join conditions

Is this really something to be pushing into stable branches less than
12 hours before a release wrap?  We don't normally take such risks
for anything but security patches, which this isn't.  There will not,
for example, be time for full buildfarm coverage.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql: Don't Memoize lateral joins with volatile join conditions

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 at 01:02, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> David Rowley <drowley@postgresql.org> writes:
> > Don't Memoize lateral joins with volatile join conditions
>
> Is this really something to be pushing into stable branches less than
> 12 hours before a release wrap?  We don't normally take such risks
> for anything but security patches, which this isn't.  There will not,
> for example, be time for full buildfarm coverage.

My apologies. I had been under the impression that the go-no window
was between stamp and tag and *that* was the window that was used for
a buildfarm cycle. It sounds like it's not quite as black and white as
that.  I'm not aware of any documentation which gives guidance on
this.

I'm only aware of:
* https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Release_process
* https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Committing_checklist

Is there somewhere else I should look? or is this something that can
maybe be improved?

(I'm assuming backing the patch out now won't improve the situation,
but please correct me if you think I'm wrong on that)

Thanks

David

Re: pgsql: Don't Memoize lateral joins with volatile join conditions

Дата:
David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 at 01:02, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Is this really something to be pushing into stable branches less than
>> 12 hours before a release wrap?

> My apologies. I had been under the impression that the go-no window
> was between stamp and tag and *that* was the window that was used for
> a buildfarm cycle. It sounds like it's not quite as black and white as
> that.  I'm not aware of any documentation which gives guidance on
> this.

Hmm.  Customarily we avoid pushing stuff into due-for-release branches
beginning 48-72 hours before the wrap, and then continuing until the
tags are applied ~24 hours after wrap.  The pause before wrap is to
allow a complete buildfarm test cycle even on slower machines.  The
pause after wrap is to wait for feedback from packagers.

> * https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Committing_checklist

I thought we had something written down there after the last
discussion of this point, but maybe it was hanging fire because
we hadn't chosen a specific definition of when to start the pause.

> (I'm assuming backing the patch out now won't improve the situation,
> but please correct me if you think I'm wrong on that)

No, I've already made the tarballs.  I did look closely at the patch
and decided it was probably harmless and not in need of reversion.
I'm just whining because this wasn't following process.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql: Don't Memoize lateral joins with volatile join conditions

От
David Rowley
Дата:
On Tue, 8 Aug 2023 at 10:06, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> > * https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Committing_checklist
>
> I thought we had something written down there after the last
> discussion of this point, but maybe it was hanging fire because
> we hadn't chosen a specific definition of when to start the pause.

Probably something wider to provide some margin is likely better than
it not being documented at all.

> I'm just whining because this wasn't following process.

I understand. I certainly don't want to be the cause of the
destabilisation of a release.

It's just frustrating when trying to follow the process but the lack
of documentation about what that process is just leaves it to
trial/error/someone complaining.

David