Обсуждение: Archiving problem on Windows

Archiving problem on Windows

От
"Christian Rengstl"
Дата:
Hi list,

a have a problem using the following archiving command on windows:
'copy %p C:\\Archive\\DBArchive\\%f'
The error message i get is saying that the file could not be copied
because of error code 1. The strange thing is that in the archive
directory there are files that were copied one or two weeks ago and
since then i have not change the command.

Thanks for any advice!

Christian Rengstl M.A.
Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin II
Kardiologie - Forschung
Universitätsklinikum Regensburg
B3 1.388
Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11
93053 Regensburg
Tel.: +49-941-944-7230

Fwd: Re: Archiving problem on Windows

От
"Christian Rengstl"
Дата:
When I login as user postgres, I can copy the files without any
problem.
Here is the error message (translated as it appears in German in my log
files):
>>copy pg_xlog\myfile C:\Archive\DBArchive\myfile<< failed: error code
1
>>copy pg_xlog\myfile C:\Archive\DBArchive\myfile<< failed: error code
1
>>copy pg_xlog\myfile C:\Archive\DBArchive\myfile<< failed: error code
1
WARNING: transaction log file could not be archived: too many errors

<475482CB.9090701@reynolds.com.au>,
Paul Lambert <paul.lambert@reynolds.com.au> wrote:
> Christian Rengstl wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> a have a problem using the following archiving command on windows:
>> 'copy %p C:\\Archive\\DBArchive\\%f'
>> The error message i get is saying that the file could not be copied
>> because of error code 1. The strange thing is that in the archive
>> directory there are files that were copied one or two weeks ago and
>> since then i have not change the command.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice!
>>

> It would help to paste the actual error message, not your description
of
> the error message.
>
> Have you checked that the postgres user has full control over the
> DBArchive directory and that there is available space on the disk?
>
> --
> Paul Lambert
> Database Administrator
> AutoLedgers - A Reynolds & Reynolds Company

Re: Fwd: Re: Archiving problem on Windows

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Tue, dem 04.12.2007, um 11:31:41 +0100 mailte Christian Rengstl folgendes:
> When I login as user postgres, I can copy the files without any
> problem.
> Here is the error message (translated as it appears in German in my log
> files):
> >>copy pg_xlog\myfile C:\Archive\DBArchive\myfile<< failed: error code
> 1
> >>copy pg_xlog\myfile C:\Archive\DBArchive\myfile<< failed: error code
> 1
> >>copy pg_xlog\myfile C:\Archive\DBArchive\myfile<< failed: error code
> 1
> WARNING: transaction log file could not be archived: too many errors

2 questions:

1. really 'myfile', or is 'myfile' only a placeholder for the real
logfile?

2. please try to specify the full path for the source file, maybe the
copy-command can't found the file without the full path.

Hope that helps, and please no top-posting. (in german: TOFU)

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

<20071204104435.GE25044@a-kretschmer.de>, "A. Kretschmer"
<andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> wrote:
> am  Tue, dem 04.12.2007, um 11:31:41 +0100 mailte Christian Rengstl
> folgendes:
>> When I login as user postgres, I can copy the files without any
>> problem.
>> Here is the error message (translated as it appears in German in my
log
>> files):
>> 1
>> 1
>> 1
>> WARNING: transaction log file could not be archived: too many
errors

> 2 questions:
>
> 1. really 'myfile', or is 'myfile' only a placeholder for the real
> logfile?
>
> 2. please try to specify the full path for the source file, maybe
the
> copy- command can't found the file without the full path.
>

> Hope that helps, and please no top- posting. (in german: TOFU)
>

> Andreas

1) myfile is just a placeholder, as I am currently not working on the
server directly and i can't copy the filename using vnc...
2) the path given, is the path postgresql obviously interprets my
archive_command, so i don't know how to specify it.

Re: Archiving problem on Windows

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Mon, dem 03.12.2007, um 12:29:39 +0100 mailte Christian Rengstl folgendes:
> Hi list,
>
> a have a problem using the following archiving command on windows:
> 'copy %p C:\\Archive\\DBArchive\\%f'

According the doc, the command should be:

archive_command = 'copy "%p" /mnt/server/archivedir/"%f"'  # Windows

Perhaps missing "" around the parameters %p and %f, AND/OR wrong path for
the destination (\\ instead /), i'm not sure, i'm not familiar with PG
under Windows.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

<20071204110331.GF25044@a-kretschmer.de>, "A. Kretschmer"
<andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> wrote:
> am  Mon, dem 03.12.2007, um 12:29:39 +0100 mailte Christian Rengstl
> folgendes:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> a have a problem using the following archiving command on windows:
>> 'copy %p C:\\Archive\\DBArchive\\%f'
>
> According the doc, the command should be:
>
> archive_command = 'copy "%p" /mnt/server/archivedir/"%f"'  # Windows
>

> Perhaps missing "" around the parameters %p and %f, AND/OR wrong path
for
> the destination (\\ instead /), i'm not sure, i'm not familiar with
PG
> under Windows.
>

> Andreas

I read that part of the docs, too, and changed it accordingly, but
without any success.

Re: Archiving problem on Windows

От
"A. Kretschmer"
Дата:
am  Tue, dem 04.12.2007, um 12:05:41 +0100 mailte Christian Rengstl folgendes:
> >> a have a problem using the following archiving command on windows:
> >> 'copy %p C:\\Archive\\DBArchive\\%f'
> >
> > According the doc, the command should be:
> >
> > archive_command = 'copy "%p" /mnt/server/archivedir/"%f"'  # Windows
> >

> > Perhaps missing "" around the parameters %p and %f, AND/OR wrong path
> for
> > the destination (\\ instead /), i'm not sure, i'm not familiar with
> PG
> > under Windows.
>
> I read that part of the docs, too, and changed it accordingly, but
> without any success.

The propper config-file? (compare with the output from the command
"show config_file;" within psql), reload/restart the server?

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

<20071204112151.GG25044@a-kretschmer.de>, "A. Kretschmer"
<andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> wrote:
> am  Tue, dem 04.12.2007, um 12:05:41 +0100 mailte Christian Rengstl
> folgendes:
>> >
>> > According the doc, the command should be:
>> >
>> > archive_command = 'copy "%p" /mnt/server/archivedir/"%f"'  #
Windows

>> > Perhaps missing "" around the parameters %p and %f, AND/OR wrong
path
>> for
>> > the destination (\\ instead /), i'm not sure, i'm not familiar
with
>> PG
>> > under Windows.
>>
>> I read that part of the docs, too, and changed it accordingly, but
>> without any success.
>
> The propper config- file? (compare with the output from the command
> "show config_file;" within psql), reload/restart the server?
>

> Andreas

show config_file points to the right one. I restarted the server after
every change. After including the quotation marks as in the docs, the
quotation marks also appeared in the command, so at least it shows that
the config file was read.

Re: Archiving problem on Windows

От
Paul Lambert
Дата:
Christian Rengstl wrote:
> show config_file points to the right one. I restarted the server after
> every change. After including the quotation marks as in the docs, the
> quotation marks also appeared in the command, so at least it shows that
> the config file was read.

How about show archive_command;? Just to verify that it's reading in the
right thing.

e.g.
My postgresql.conf:
archive_command = 'copy "%p" E:\\PostgreSQL\\WAL_Archive\\%f'

 From pgsql:
postgres=# show archive_command;
             archive_command
  copy "%p" E:\PostgreSQL\WAL_Archive\%f

Cheers,
Paul.

--

<4756034B.8020208@reynolds.com.au>,
Paul Lambert <paul.lambert@reynolds.com.au> wrote:
> Christian Rengstl wrote:
>> show config_file points to the right one. I restarted the server
after
>> every change. After including the quotation marks as in the docs,
the
>> quotation marks also appeared in the command, so at least it shows
that
>> the config file was read.
>>

> How about show archive_command;? Just to verify that it's reading in
the
> right thing.
>
> e.g.
> My postgresql.conf:
> archive_command = 'copy "%p" E:\\PostgreSQL\\WAL_Archive\\%f'
>
>  From pgsql:
> postgres=# show archive_command;
>              archive_command
>   copy "%p" E:\PostgreSQL\WAL_Archive\%f
>
> Cheers,
> Paul.
>
> --
> Paul Lambert
> Database Administrator
> AutoLedgers - A Reynolds & Reynolds Company
>

> ---------------------------(end of
broadcast)---------------------------

The archive_command is 'copy %p C:\\Archive\\DBArchive\\%f',
nevertheless I changed it to your version, but without success.

Re: Archiving problem on Windows

От
Paul Lambert
Дата:
Christian Rengstl wrote:
> The archive_command is 'copy %p C:\\Archive\\DBArchive\\%f',
> nevertheless I changed it to your version, but without success.

And what does pgsql show when you do a "show archive_command;"

--

<4756527B.6040609@reynolds.com.au>,

broadcast)---------------------------

broadcast)---------------------------
>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do
not
>        match

It shows: "copy "%p" F:\TransaktionsLogArchiv\%f" -> I changed the
directory to archive the files in to see if it would help, but it
doesn't.

Re: Archiving problem on Windows

От
"Christian Rengstl"

Christian Rengstl M.A.
Klinik und Poliklinik für Innere Medizin II
Kardiologie - Forschung
Universitätsklinikum Regensburg
B3 1.388
Franz-Josef-Strauss-Allee 11
93053 Regensburg
Tel.: +49-941-944-7230

>>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2007 at  8:25 AM, in message
<4756527B.6040609@reynolds.com.au>,
Paul Lambert <paul.lambert@reynolds.com.au> wrote:
> Christian Rengstl wrote:
>> The archive_command is 'copy %p C:\\Archive\\DBArchive\\%f',
>> nevertheless I changed it to your version, but without success.
>>

>> ---------------------------(end of
broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings
>>

> And what does pgsql show when you do a "show archive_command;"
>
> --
> Paul Lambert
> Database Administrator
> AutoLedgers - A Reynolds & Reynolds Company

>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do
not
>        match

Now i did the following: I changed "copy" to "xcopy" then all of a
sudden I received the error message that a file could not be found. Then
I copied one existing file and changed the name so that it's in the
pg_xlog directory, but since then I do not receive any messages in the
log file or in the windows event logs and no file is copied either.