Обсуждение: Killing a session in windows

Killing a session in windows

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
Hi,

I've written about this problem before and thanks to Bill Bartlett and
Richard Huxton for previous replies, but the problem keeps coming up...

I'm running postgresql V8.2.5 (I think!) on W2K3 Server and occasionally
I want to rebuild a database. However I cannot drop the database because
there is some unclosed client attached.

Following Richard and Bills suggestions, I have tried
pg_cancel_backend(pid) but the process remains in pg_stat_activity and
the process still runs.

I then kill the process directly using taskill but again, the process
remains in pg_stat_activity and I cannot drop the database.

I eventually have to resort to restarting the postgres service, but this
is on a live system running several database so I do not want to have to
do this.

Any suggestions?

Ta

Howard
www.selestial.com

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
Hello everyone,

I take it from the lack of response that nobody knows how to kill a
connection from the postgresql side on windows? Is there another way
around this? In the end I created another database and changed all my
code to use the new database, the original database is still there (now
redundant for 4 days) and the mysterious connection is still there.
There has to be a better solution?

Howard.

Howard Cole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've written about this problem before and thanks to Bill Bartlett and
> Richard Huxton for previous replies, but the problem keeps coming up...
>
> I'm running postgresql V8.2.5 (I think!) on W2K3 Server and
> occasionally I want to rebuild a database. However I cannot drop the
> database because there is some unclosed client attached.
>
> Following Richard and Bills suggestions, I have tried
> pg_cancel_backend(pid) but the process remains in pg_stat_activity and
> the process still runs.
>
> I then kill the process directly using taskill but again, the process
> remains in pg_stat_activity and I cannot drop the database.
>
> I eventually have to resort to restarting the postgres service, but
> this is on a live system running several database so I do not want to
> have to do this.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Ta
>
> Howard
> www.selestial.com

>       match

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Howard Cole wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I take it from the lack of response that nobody knows how to kill a
> connection from the postgresql side on windows?

You can't, short of sending a signal to the process or restarting the
service.

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"We're here to devour each other alive"            (Hobbes)

Re: Killing a session in windows

Дата:
> Howard Cole wrote:
>> I take it from the lack of response that nobody knows how to kill a
>> connection from the postgresql side on windows?

> You can't, short of sending a signal to the process or restarting the
> service.

Which you can do, no?  I thought pg_ctl's kill option was invented
specifically to make this less painful on Windows.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
"Dann Corbit"
Дата:

What happens if you disable the net card on your server machine?

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 05:50:46PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Howard Cole wrote:
> >> I take it from the lack of response that nobody knows how to kill a
> >> connection from the postgresql side on windows?
>
> > You can't, short of sending a signal to the process or restarting the
> > service.
>
> Which you can do, no?  I thought pg_ctl's kill option was invented
> specifically to make this less painful on Windows.

It does, and it shuold work. But it's just as dangerous as using kill
directly on the backends on Unix, of course.

//Magnus

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
"Thomas H."
Дата:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 05:50:46PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> writes:
>>> You can't, short of sending a signal to the process or restarting the
>>> service.
>> Which you can do, no?  I thought pg_ctl's kill option was invented
>> specifically to make this less painful on Windows.
>
> It does, and it shuold work. But it's just as dangerous as using kill
> directly on the backends on Unix, of course.

wasn't the OP asking for a way to kill active connections to a db? afaik
pgAdmin3 does provide this functionality:

pgadmin3 > tools > server status

there you can easily terminate connections & transactions to a
particular db. works pretty well in my test, i can kill active
connections and drop the db afterwards.

regards,
thomas

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
Dann Corbit wrote:
> What happens if you disable the net card on your server machine?

Hi Dann,
The connection is from IIS worker process running on the same machine.
My problem is that I want to disable connections for a single database.
Disabling the pgsql service or disabling the card (can you do this on a
windows machine?) would disconnect all the databases which would be
major incident on the server.
Howard.

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
Thomas H. wrote:

>>> Which you can do, no?  I thought pg_ctl's kill option was invented
>>> specifically to make this less painful on Windows.
>>
>> It does, and it shuold work. But it's just as dangerous as using kill
>> directly on the backends on Unix, of course.
>
> wasn't the OP asking for a way to kill active connections to a db?
> afaik pgAdmin3 does provide this functionality:
>
> pgadmin3 > tools > server status
>
> there you can easily terminate connections & transactions to a
> particular db. works pretty well in my test, i can kill active
> connections and drop the db afterwards.
>
> regards,
> thomas
The pgadmin terminate connections never did anything on any of my
windows servers. I always assumed it was something geared towards nix
servers that never quite worked on windows???

I shall look into the pg_ctl options to see if the kill option does what
taskill cannot (thanks for the heads up on that)

Thanks all.

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
"Thomas H."
Дата:
>> wasn't the OP asking for a way to kill active connections to a db?
>> afaik pgAdmin3 does provide this functionality:
>>
>> pgadmin3 > tools > server status
>>
>> there you can easily terminate connections & transactions to a
>> particular db. works pretty well in my test, i can kill active
>> connections and drop the db afterwards.
>>
>> regards,
>> thomas
> The pgadmin terminate connections never did anything on any of my
> windows servers. I always assumed it was something geared towards nix
> servers that never quite worked on windows???

i'm using the pgAdmin3 on windows 2003 and win32 pgsql 8.x for quite a
while now, and the terminate feature has been working just fine a few
times in the last years.

- thomas

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
> I shall look into the pg_ctl options to see if the kill option does
> what taskill cannot (thanks for the heads up on that)

Using
$ pg_ctl kill TERM [pid]
worked great. Since very few people seem to know about this, could I
suggest making it more prominent in the server administration pages.
Thanks for your help gentlemen. Once again I am overwhelmed by the
quality of support on the forum.

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
Thomas H. wrote:
>>> wasn't the OP asking for a way to kill active connections to a db?
>>> afaik pgAdmin3 does provide this functionality:
>>>
>>> pgadmin3 > tools > server status
>>>
>>> there you can easily terminate connections & transactions to a
>>> particular db. works pretty well in my test, i can kill active
>>> connections and drop the db afterwards.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> thomas
>> The pgadmin terminate connections never did anything on any of my
>> windows servers. I always assumed it was something geared towards nix
>> servers that never quite worked on windows???
>>

> i'm using the pgAdmin3 on windows 2003 and win32 pgsql 8.x for quite a
> while now, and the terminate feature has been working just fine a few
> times in the last years.
>
> - thomas

Hi Thomas,
Just tried it on my vista client machine. The "Terminate" button is
greyed out - I just have a cancel option. Maybe I am not using pgAdmin
right?
P.S. The "pg_ctl kill TERM" worked fine.

Howard.

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Howard Cole wrote:

> > I shall look into the pg_ctl options to see if the kill option does
> > what taskill cannot (thanks for the heads up on that)
> >
> Using
> $ pg_ctl kill TERM [pid]
> worked great. Since very few people seem to know about this, could I
> suggest making it more prominent in the server administration pages.

Agreed. I have added the second sentence to our 8.3 beta docs:

   Alternatively, you can send the signal directly using <command>kill</>
   (or <command>pg_ctl kill TERM [process id]</> on <productname>Windows</>).

You can actually use pg_ctl kill on Unix too but it seems awkward to
suggest it in the existing sentence.

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > I shall look into the pg_ctl options to see if the kill option does
> > > what taskill cannot (thanks for the heads up on that)
> > >
> > Using
> > $ pg_ctl kill TERM [pid]
> > worked great. Since very few people seem to know about this, could I
> > suggest making it more prominent in the server administration pages.
>
> Agreed. I have added the second sentence to our 8.3 beta docs:
>
>    Alternatively, you can send the signal directly using <command>kill</>
>    (or <command>pg_ctl kill TERM [process id]</> on <productname>Windows</>).
>
> You can actually use pg_ctl kill on Unix too but it seems awkward to
> suggest it in the existing sentence.

Huh, why is it awkward?

    Alternatively, you can send the signal directly using <command>kill</>
    (or <command>pg_ctl kill TERM [process id]</>).

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Using
> > > $ pg_ctl kill TERM [pid]
> > > worked great. Since very few people seem to know about this, could I
> > > suggest making it more prominent in the server administration pages.
> >
> > Agreed. I have added the second sentence to our 8.3 beta docs:
> >
> >    Alternatively, you can send the signal directly using <command>kill</>
> >    (or <command>pg_ctl kill TERM [process id]</> on <productname>Windows</>).
> >
> > You can actually use pg_ctl kill on Unix too but it seems awkward to
> > suggest it in the existing sentence.
>
> Huh, why is it awkward?
>
>     Alternatively, you can send the signal directly using <command>kill</>
>     (or <command>pg_ctl kill TERM [process id]</>).

I think we should mention Windows in there somewhere, because it isn't
"alternatively" on Windows.

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Huh, why is it awkward?
> >
> >     Alternatively, you can send the signal directly using <command>kill</>
> >     (or <command>pg_ctl kill TERM [process id]</>).
>
> I think we should mention Windows in there somewhere, because it isn't
> "alternatively" on Windows.

Actually, this whole change is a bit silly, because the text now says
something like:

"You can send these signals using pg_ctl kill.  Alternatively you can
use kill (or pg_ctl kill)"

In my opinion this change should be reverted.

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > > Huh, why is it awkward?
> > >
> > >     Alternatively, you can send the signal directly using <command>kill</>
> > >     (or <command>pg_ctl kill TERM [process id]</>).
> >
> > I think we should mention Windows in there somewhere, because it isn't
> > "alternatively" on Windows.
>
> Actually, this whole change is a bit silly, because the text now says
> something like:
>
> "You can send these signals using pg_ctl kill.  Alternatively you can
> use kill (or pg_ctl kill)"

Wow, yea, I see that now, but it is alone a paragraph above.  I updated
the text to:

   The <xref linkend="app-pg-ctl"> program provides a convenient
   interface for sending these signals to shut down the server.
   Alternatively, you can send the signal directly using
   <command>kill</> on non-Windows systems.

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Howard Cole
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> I think we should mention Windows in there somewhere, because it isn't
>>> "alternatively" on Windows.
>>>
>> Actually, this whole change is a bit silly, because the text now says
>> something like:
>>
>> "You can send these signals using pg_ctl kill.  Alternatively you can
>> use kill (or pg_ctl kill)"
>>

> Wow, yea, I see that now, but it is alone a paragraph above.  I updated
> the text to:
>
>    The <xref linkend="app-pg-ctl"> program provides a convenient
>    interface for sending these signals to shut down the server.
>    Alternatively, you can send the signal directly using
>    <command>kill</> on non-Windows systems.

My documentation point is that in administering the service, I cannot
drop a database if there is still an active connection. To drop a
process in linux appears to be easy using "kill", but this does not seem
to be the case in windows using taskkill. I would rather see some
reference to killing rogue connections using pg_ctl in the "Managing
Databases" chapter, and reference to it in "Destroying a Database" and
"DROP DATABASE" documentation because this would be where I would first
search for a solution when I had the problem.

In the pg_ctl documentation, I would recommend explicitly stating that
"pg_ctl kill -TERM pid" can be used to kill individual connections to a
database in windows, because "taskkill" and "select pg_cancel_backend()"
do not seem to always work (for me anyway) in windows. Also HUP and
other signals mean nothing to a windows user.

In general the documentation, understandably, is geared toward *nix, I
do not know what proportion of installations are Windows, but I suspect
they are growing at a rapid rate since version 8. Postgres on Windows is
a fabulous product, and the migration to the windows platform has been
much cleaner than the migration of Mysql, so it would be a shame to lose
market share on the basis that the documentation still has sections
biased towards *nix. Removal of *nix-isms from the main strand of the
documentation and additions of clearly marked build dependant comments
where appropriate would make a big difference in uniting the world! So
for example, the documentation for pg_ctl would have a description and
common options, and then list any linux/bsd/unix/windows differences in
section similar to the User Comments sections of the documentation.

I enjoyed that!

Anyway - Merry Christmas / Eid / Holidays to you all and I'm looking
forward to 8.3 under the christmas tree.

Howard.

Re: Killing a session in windows

От
Bruce Momjian
Дата:
Howard Cole wrote:
> > Wow, yea, I see that now, but it is alone a paragraph above.  I updated
> > the text to:
> >
> >    The <xref linkend="app-pg-ctl"> program provides a convenient
> >    interface for sending these signals to shut down the server.
> >    Alternatively, you can send the signal directly using
> >    <command>kill</> on non-Windows systems.
> >

> My documentation point is that in administering the service, I cannot
> drop a database if there is still an active connection. To drop a
> process in linux appears to be easy using "kill", but this does not seem
> to be the case in windows using taskkill. I would rather see some
> reference to killing rogue connections using pg_ctl in the "Managing
> Databases" chapter, and reference to it in "Destroying a Database" and
> "DROP DATABASE" documentation because this would be where I would first
> search for a solution when I had the problem.

Uh, well we have this TODO:

    * Allow administrators to safely terminate individual sessions either
      via an SQL function or SIGTERM

      Lock table corruption following SIGTERM of an individual backend
      has been reported in 8.0.  A possible cause was fixed in 8.1, but
      it is unknown whether other problems exist.  This item mostly
      requires additional testing rather than of writing any new code.

      http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-08/msg00174.php

so I am unsure how we would give such a capability on Windows when we
don't support it on Unix either.

> In the pg_ctl documentation, I would recommend explicitly stating that
> "pg_ctl kill -TERM pid" can be used to kill individual connections to a
> database in windows, because "taskkill" and "select pg_cancel_backend()"
> do not seem to always work (for me anyway) in windows. Also HUP and

Where do we say that about Unix in the pg_ctl manual?

> other signals mean nothing to a windows user.

We actually simulate these signals on Windows, so the pg_ctl kill
actually works just like Unix.  We do have in the pg_ctl manual:

   <option>kill</option> mode allows you to send a signal to a specified
    process.  This is particularly valuable for <productname>Microsoft Windows</>
    which does not have a <application>kill</> command.  Use
    <literal>--help</> to see a list of supported signal names.

Is that unclear?

> In general the documentation, understandably, is geared toward *nix, I
> do not know what proportion of installations are Windows, but I suspect
> they are growing at a rapid rate since version 8. Postgres on Windows is
> a fabulous product, and the migration to the windows platform has been
> much cleaner than the migration of Mysql, so it would be a shame to lose
> market share on the basis that the documentation still has sections
> biased towards *nix. Removal of *nix-isms from the main strand of the
> documentation and additions of clearly marked build dependant comments
> where appropriate would make a big difference in uniting the world! So
> for example, the documentation for pg_ctl would have a description and
> common options, and then list any linux/bsd/unix/windows differences in
> section similar to the User Comments sections of the documentation.

Can you give a specific example?  As I said we simulate Windows so it
should act just like Unix.