Обсуждение: cleaning up - /community/international/

cleaning up - /community/international/

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
Hi all!

So while looking at something else, I noted that we might be somewhat
overdue on cleaning up
https://www.postgresql.org/community/international/ or at least discuss
the actual rules for pointing to international "community" sites...

Looking at the current entries I would say(most using google translate
so caveats apply):

* both Chinese (Simplified) and Chines (Traditional) look kinda ok

* Czech - looks a bit weird - seems to be some sort of wikipedia
installation with some (random) information added but contains at least
a link to a czech google group that seems to be fairly active

* Deutsch - seems somewhat questionable - is not available as https and
does not seem to contain anything "community" related but rather just
mirrors some of the main website content mixed with some references to
commercial(?) offerings and ads

* Français looks fine

* Israel looks fine

* Italiano - looks fairly outdated in some areas and does not seem to
have seen any updates in at least 2 years?

* Japanese - looks fine

* Korean -  looks fine

* Polska - this on is dead - promotes PostgreSQL 9.3 from 2013...

* Russian - no real content on it's own but rather a link to other
resources, looks ok though

* Türkce - dead as well - promotes PostgreSQL 10.3 and the last update
seems to be > 5 years ago

So independent of the bigger question on actual rules for a listing - I
propose to drop Türkce and Polska for now but I'm somewhat unsure what
to do about "Deutsch" and  "Italiano" - any comments on that?

Stefan

Re: cleaning up - /community/international/

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 1/15/24 10:36 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Hi all!
>

> So while looking at something else, I noted that we might be somewhat
> overdue on cleaning up
> https://www.postgresql.org/community/international/ or at least discuss
> the actual rules for pointing to international "community" sites...
>

> Looking at the current entries I would say(most using google translate
> so caveats apply):
>
> * both Chinese (Simplified) and Chines (Traditional) look kinda ok
>
> * Czech - looks a bit weird - seems to be some sort of wikipedia
> installation with some (random) information added but contains at least
> a link to a czech google group that seems to be fairly active
>
> * Deutsch - seems somewhat questionable - is not available as https and
> does not seem to contain anything "community" related but rather just
> mirrors some of the main website content mixed with some references to
> commercial(?) offerings and ads
>
> * Français looks fine
>
> * Israel looks fine
>
> * Italiano - looks fairly outdated in some areas and does not seem to
> have seen any updates in at least 2 years?
>
> * Japanese - looks fine
>
> * Korean -  looks fine
>
> * Polska - this on is dead - promotes PostgreSQL 9.3 from 2013...
>
> * Russian - no real content on it's own but rather a link to other
> resources, looks ok though
>
> * Türkce - dead as well - promotes PostgreSQL 10.3 and the last update
> seems to be > 5 years ago
>

> So independent of the bigger question on actual rules for a listing - I
> propose to drop Türkce and Polska for now but I'm somewhat unsure what
> to do about "Deutsch" and  "Italiano" - any comments on that?

The question I'd raise is why do we need to drop them? They still have
content that is helpful for the local communities. The *current* content
is out-of-date, but also having the sites up allows others to find it
and possibly work to maintain the site.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: cleaning up - /community/international/

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 17 Jan 2024, at 05:47, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On 1/15/24 10:36 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

>> I propose to drop Türkce and Polska for now but I'm somewhat unsure what to do about "Deutsch" and  "Italiano" - any
commentson that?

> The question I'd raise is why do we need to drop them? They still have content that is helpful for the local
communities.The *current* content is out-of-date, but also having the sites up allows others to find it and possibly
workto maintain the site.

Sites that haven't been updated in 10+ years clearly haven't benefited from
being listed here, so I question the value in maintaining links to stale
content. I agree with dropping Türkce and Polska.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: cleaning up - /community/international/

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 2:03 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> > On 17 Jan 2024, at 05:47, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> > On 1/15/24 10:36 AM, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>
> >> I propose to drop Türkce and Polska for now but I'm somewhat unsure what to do about "Deutsch" and  "Italiano" -
anycomments on that?

> > The question I'd raise is why do we need to drop them? They still have content that is helpful for the local
communities.The *current* content is out-of-date, but also having the sites up allows others to find it and possibly
workto maintain the site.

> Sites that haven't been updated in 10+ years clearly haven't benefited from
> being listed here, so I question the value in maintaining links to stale
> content. I agree with dropping Türkce and Polska.

+1.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

Re: cleaning up - /community/international/

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 2/26/24 8:33 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 2:03 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

anycomments on that?

>>> The question I'd raise is why do we need to drop them? They still have content that is helpful for the local
communities.The *current* content is out-of-date, but also having the sites up allows others to find it and possibly
workto maintain the site.

>> Sites that haven't been updated in 10+ years clearly haven't benefited from
>> being listed here, so I question the value in maintaining links to stale
>> content. I agree with dropping Türkce and Polska.
>

> +1.

-1; the Turkish website is recently updated, and contains info about
PostgreSQL 16.2 and an upcoming conference:

https://www.postgresql.org.tr/

I think it's worth reaching out to the folks who maintain the Polish
website before we remove it, or see if others are willing to maintain or
create a new one.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: cleaning up - /community/international/

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 26 Feb 2024, at 15:48, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

communities.The *current* content is out-of-date, but also having the sites up allows others to find it and possibly
workto maintain the site.

>>> Sites that haven't been updated in 10+ years clearly haven't benefited from
>>> being listed here, so I question the value in maintaining links to stale
>>> content. I agree with dropping Türkce and Polska.
>> +1.
>
> -1; the Turkish website is recently updated, and contains info about PostgreSQL 16.2 and an upcoming conference:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org.tr/

Fair enough, I had missed that.

> I think it's worth reaching out to the folks who maintain the Polish website before we remove it, or see if others
arewilling to maintain or create a new one.

Sure, if someone want's to do that then I won't object of course.
--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: cleaning up - /community/international/

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On 2/26/24 9:55 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 26 Feb 2024, at 15:48, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>>

>> I think it's worth reaching out to the folks who maintain the Polish website before we remove it, or see if others
arewilling to maintain or create a new one.

> Sure, if someone want's to do that then I won't object of course.

So, after spending 10 mins trying to figure out who to contact and
getting nowhere, I'm flipping my position and saying +1 for removing.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Re: cleaning up - /community/international/

От
Daniel Gustafsson
Дата:
> On 26 Feb 2024, at 16:01, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
> On 2/26/24 9:55 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> On 26 Feb 2024, at 15:48, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> I think it's worth reaching out to the folks who maintain the Polish website before we remove it, or see if others
arewilling to maintain or create a new one.
>> Sure, if someone want's to do that then I won't object of course.
>
> So, after spending 10 mins trying to figure out who to contact and getting nowhere, I'm flipping my position and
saying+1 for removing.

Ok, I'll go ahead and remove the Polish link leaving all others in place.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

Re: cleaning up - /community/international/

От
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Дата:
On 26.02.24 15:48, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 2/26/24 8:33 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> Sites that haven't been updated in 10+ years clearly haven't
>>> benefited from
>>> being listed here, so I question the value in maintaining links to stale
>>> content. I agree with dropping Türkce and Polska.
>>

>> +1.
>
> -1; the Turkish website is recently updated, and contains info about
> PostgreSQL 16.2 and an upcoming conference:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org.tr/
>
> I think it's worth reaching out to the folks who maintain the Polish
> website before we remove it, or see if others are willing to maintain or
> create a new one.

indeed... it seems to have been updated somewhat (though in a rather
improvised matter it seems) - however I'm still unsure on what the point
of the entire listing director is?

Currently it seems like a (more or less) random mix of usergroup sites
with mixed content of varying commercial background and we have some
duplications with other listings that are more explicit on their purpose
for example:

Taiwan PostgreSQL User Group with https://postgresql.tw/ is listed both
under https://www.postgresql.org/community/user-groups/ and
https://www.postgresql.org/community/international/ (same for China or
Italy) with the later providing more context and content.

We are providing quite some powerful backlink to those sites and right
now it seems somewhat unclear definition of what is required to be
listed on on of those pages.
We are also not really providing much bacground either - als we say is
"The following are links to international PostgreSQL community
websites." which kind implies that it international and we consider
those targets "community websites" - but compared to how sharply we have
defined "community" elsewhere (say conference guidelines or the user
group policy) that is not much.

Stefan